Fan Clutch Not Working? - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

 42Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 41
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I replaced my fan clutch with a Hayden electro mechanical unit (OEM style). I had a hunch it wasnt working right as the fan never seemed to blow hard no matter what, but it had always done this as I bought the truck with 140k on it, but never had any codes. After installing it I noticed a huge difference in fan noise so I knew something was different. Basically when you first take off after cold start the fan will be pulling hard for a little while, maybe 30sec to 1 min then calm down so if its not doing that something is likely wrong. Also climbing hills or slow moving and towing with AC on it will kick in pretty hard. Normal operation it doesnt really do that much, idling or otherwise. When it does kick in you will know it, if you are not sure if its working right it probably isnt...

texascanuk and MDSWA like this.
thevol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Diesel Head
 
PWong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,355
Thanks: 11
Thanked 531 Times in 506 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve05ram360 View Post
yeah but 15 minutes way to long, imagine climbing a grade with a load and needing it locked up.
IMO, the demand for heat removal would not jump from low to high instantly at the beginning of climbing a grade.
It would increase gradually while climbing so the fan rpm would be increased gradually by ECM to meet the demand.
And ECM would not send 100% PWM at the beginning when coolant temp hits 215F.
rghavana and MDSWA like this.

_________________
'05 2500 QC SLT SB 4X4 48RE Smarty Jr 205k miles
Baldwin FB1311 + Donaldson P551313 (3 Micron) + Baldwin PF7977
PWong is offline  
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head
 
MDSWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NE Washington
Posts: 1,192
Thanks: 46
Thanked 128 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hayden fan clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve05ram360 View Post
Ouch, sorry to hear about the tree! no one hurt?

yeah hayden, not hayes sorry, brain fart
It seems Hayden has nearly cornered the market on fan clutches. The ones listed for the 5.9 cummins are listed as severe duty or heavy duty.

No one was hurt when the tree came down but it was close. We were on the (covered) back deck watching a spectacular lightning show when the leading edge of the storm hit at 60+ mph. It was instant mayhem with branches, pine needles, cones, dirt and lawn furniture flying around. Large pine trees were swaying violently. We bolted for the patio door and barely made it inside before a 100 ft pine tree came smashing down on the corner of the roof.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
MDSWA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head
 
MDSWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NE Washington
Posts: 1,192
Thanks: 46
Thanked 128 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Fan Clutch not Engaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevol View Post
I replaced my fan clutch with a Hayden electro mechanical unit (OEM style). I had a hunch it wasnt working right as the fan never seemed to blow hard no matter what, but it had always done this as I bought the truck with 140k on it, but never had any codes. After installing it I noticed a huge difference in fan noise so I knew something was different. Basically when you first take off after cold start the fan will be pulling hard for a little while, maybe 30sec to 1 min then calm down so if its not doing that something is likely wrong. Also climbing hills or slow moving and towing with AC on it will kick in pretty hard. Normal operation it doesnt really do that much, idling or otherwise. When it does kick in you will know it, if you are not sure if its working right it probably isnt...
This is exactly what my truck is doing. The fan clutch NEVER kicks on under any circumstances, and I have no codes. I have pulled big grades with trailers on hot days, crawled out of steep, extremely hot river canyons with raft trailers, crawled up to backcountry mountain tops, and the fan clutch has never fully engaged. Fortunately, the cooling system manages to mostly keep up and keeps me out of the over heating zone with me staying on top of the gauges and adjusting my driving to keep things cool.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
MDSWA is offline  
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:18 PM
Diesel Freak
 
CTD NUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Caistor Centre, ON, Canada
Posts: 523
Thanks: 13
Thanked 81 Times in 67 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I just went through a fan clutch fiasco as well. I had a new aftermarket clutch that didn't make it 10K. It started to puke out its fluid. I replaced it with a brand new Mopar clutch...and that one didn't work right out of the box - it had no continuity between pins 1 and 6 right from brand new. I just put a second Mopar clutch on and it works just fine. Of all the clutches I have been through, I never once got a fan clutch code. Even with the last Mopar unit that had no continuity between the 1 and 6 pins.

I can confirm that you most certainly do not have to wait 15 mins to see if the clutch engages properly. Just fire the truck up and turn on the AC. Once the high side pressure reaches its cut in point for the fan clutch, it will engage. I hazard a guess that this would have taken less than 30 seconds of AC operation to achieve this.
texascanuk, 24hrsparkey and MDSWA like this.

03 3500 QC DRW 4x4 6spd-6.7 Swap w/DPS S475/ported HE351 Twins, Smarty MM3/Calibrated Power tuning, F1 60 HP sticks, Pacbrake PRXB w/5" Flo Pro exhaust
CTD NUT is offline  
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:29 PM
Diesel Head
 
tryNto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Central Utah
Posts: 4,727
Thanks: 300
Thanked 568 Times in 501 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWong View Post
Just being curious, how are you mod guys handle the fan clutch DTCs and CEL if there is any?

Years ago a did a mod on my big Bronco with a Taurus electric fan and noticed that it hurt the mpg and I didn't like it.
I think it is 1 or 2 soft codes and then no CEL for sure. A non issue for most.
rghavana likes this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns




tryNto is offline  
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:45 PM
Diesel Head
 
steelhead1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,105
Thanks: 44
Thanked 152 Times in 138 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
MDSWA,

do you run a section of aluminum replacement window screening over the front of your radiators/coolers including the small side openings. Helps to keep the bug guts and other debris out, especially rough dirt or gravel roads.

Did some research reading on the Hayden 3282 fan clutch, well built unit, exact physical replacement, decent price compared to the OEM Mopar. 2 of their 3921 electric fans or 1 of their 3690 pusher fans in front of the radiators/coolers would add extra cooling capacity and take some of the load off the fan clutch and water pump bearing/seal which must take a beating from that huge plastic fan wobbling around at 2500+ rpms.
MDSWA likes this.
steelhead1 is online now  
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:58 PM
TECH SPECIALIST
 
steve05ram360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,337
Thanks: 534
Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,010 Posts
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
pull the coolant temp sensor and it should engage... you will get a code but k ow whats up with the clutch.
MDSWA likes this.

AFE PG7 drop in filter, AFE Torque Tube, HTT 2.5 turbo, AFE e-mani, ATS Arc Flo, 50HP DDP , 423k, HPTuners, G56, 25.065 mpg, mpg threads ->https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...l#post23312562
steve05ram360 is offline  
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Head
 
MDSWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NE Washington
Posts: 1,192
Thanks: 46
Thanked 128 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Bug Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead1 View Post
MDSWA,

do you run a section of aluminum replacement window screening over the front of your radiators/coolers including the small side openings. Helps to keep the bug guts and other debris out, especially rough dirt or gravel roads.

Did some research reading on the Hayden 3282 fan clutch, well built unit, exact physical replacement, decent price compared to the OEM Mopar. 2 of their 3921 electric fans or 1 of their 3690 pusher fans in front of the radiators/coolers would add extra cooling capacity and take some of the load off the fan clutch and water pump bearing/seal which must take a beating from that huge plastic fan wobbling around at 2500+ rpms.
I haven't installed a bug screen yet. Installing a window screen is not a bad idea. My original thought was to install some kind of frame with small grid hardware cloth to catch bugs and help protect the AC condenser fins (mostly from me when I work on the truck.) I saw some of the pusher fans and had the same thought. They could be manually activated when you needed them and otherwise left off. Glad to hear the Hayden fan seems to be a quality unit. If I need to replace mine I'll probably go with the 3282.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
MDSWA is offline  
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head
 
MDSWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NE Washington
Posts: 1,192
Thanks: 46
Thanked 128 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
New OEM Clutch Fan Failed Right Out of the Box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
I just went through a fan clutch fiasco as well. I had a new aftermarket clutch that didn't make it 10K. It started to puke out its fluid. I replaced it with a brand new Mopar clutch...and that one didn't work right out of the box - it had no continuity between pins 1 and 6 right from brand new. I just put a second Mopar clutch on and it works just fine. Of all the clutches I have been through, I never once got a fan clutch code. Even with the last Mopar unit that had no continuity between the 1 and 6 pins.

I can confirm that you most certainly do not have to wait 15 mins to see if the clutch engages properly. Just fire the truck up and turn on the AC. Once the high side pressure reaches its cut in point for the fan clutch, it will engage. I hazard a guess that this would have taken less than 30 seconds of AC operation to achieve this.
That must have been pretty discouraging! I think I'll bench test mine with a multimeter before installing.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
MDSWA is offline  
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Head
 
MDSWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NE Washington
Posts: 1,192
Thanks: 46
Thanked 128 Times in 126 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
So here's the resolution on my fan clutch issue:

Parts came in so today I took the truck over to a friends Class 8 shop and he installed the new fan clutch. I'm glad I took it over since it took an air hammer with an extension and a thin 36mm fan clutch stubby wrench to get the old one off. Replacement took a little less than an hour. I went with a Hayden 3282 fan clutch after reading a bunch of reviews. Hope this thing lasts! Started the truck, turned on the AC and revved the engine a little. Fan clutch fully engaged and made a definite roaring sound. The sound is unmistakable. If you're not sure if yours is working, it probably isn't.

I took the truck for a drive afterwards and kept track of temps and fan engagement. It just so happened that today is the hottest day of the year so far (102 degrees F.) I ran some errands and drove home in stop and go traffic. The fan clutch cycled on and off several times. Coolant temp peaked at 190 and trans temp hit 168 (subtract another 15 degrees from that for Edge CTS high reading error) The AC seemed to work better too. The downside? That fan is loud! At least it doesn't stay on all the time. Glad to have it working again and feeling a little better about my upcoming trip.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
MDSWA is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MDSWA For This Useful Post:
tryNto (08-21-2019)
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:13 PM
Diesel Head
 
steelhead1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,105
Thanks: 44
Thanked 152 Times in 138 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Great info.
Now one of us has to try a single big 3960 pusher in front with a manual or thermo switch to take most of the load off the monster plastic HP sucking beast. Been thinking of putting one on for those long vacation pulls in the Rockies and the south's heat.
With the reasonable price on the Hayden FC, one could carry one as a spare. My OEM Mopar is still going 180k m. +. Mild towing twins and tow tune Smarty Jr., not much extra heat into the motor.

Ya, the alum. window screening protects the radiator fins well.

The high HP heavy fueling rigs must really burn up the Mopar replacement clutches quickly with all the extra heat the radiator has to dump.

Have fun on your vacation, beautiful country.
MDSWA likes this.
steelhead1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome