07 5.9 egt probe in manifold but no tuner?? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
07 5.9 egt probe in manifold but no tuner??

Hey guys I've been looking at an 07 5.9 that seems to be a really solid truck but it's at a dealership and of course the guy really dosent know anything about it. I know the trans has been rebuilt and beefed and it has a 4" mbrp e exhaust other than that the truck appears stock. Just one thing troubling me this egt probe in the top of the manifold. I cant figure out why yo would do this unless it had some kind of tuner on it at some point and if it did it doesnt now. If anyone has any insight as to why this would have been done and is it cause for concern just trying to make sure its gonna be a good one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Oh I forgot to mention it is tied into the factory harness
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,250 Posts
Tuner has probably been removed. It could just as well have beeen a monitor only. Most diesle heads instal the base gauges; boost, EGT, Rail pressure, etc, on a new truck to baseline it and help troubleshooting. It is going to get BOMBed and without a baseline no way to see if the changes are good or bad.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

I tried to check the codes using the key and didnt work so I'm assuming that's a pretty good indication there is aftermarket tuning
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

It's hard to find a bone stock Cummins in my area. I've also been looking at an 09 6.7 with 200k from an individual that is deleted and tuned with efi live (Corey Willis) am I better off going with a truck that I actually have all the info on or should i be safe with the 07 5.9 mystery
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:29 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,415 Times in 2,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdozz View Post
I tried to check the codes using the key and didnt work so I'm assuming that's a pretty good indication there is aftermarket tuning
Why does the absence of codes mean it has been tuned? Could be 100% stock but the last owner was paranoid about his egts. Treat the truck like any used truck and go over it thoroughly to see if it checks out. In the next post you say you're considering a truck that has been tuned so why is the 5.9 bad and the 6.7 good? Personally I'd go with which ever is cleaner and in better shape. But the new truck would be optimal in my opinion due the 6 speed auto and the fact it's a 6.7

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Is it a bad idea to buy a truck that has a tuner any advice on what I should look out for when looking at them
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Diesel Freak

Good luck finding any truck these days that hasn't been tuned or had a programmer on it at some point. Tapping the egt probe into the factory harness seems odd, like it would have been done A LONG time ago. Any sign of glue/Velcro/adhesive on top of the TIPM? I know the back in the day everyone was affixing their boxes up there so they could easily tap into the harness.

I just sold my truck and am looking for another one; the best you can do any more is just do your best to look for excessive leaks, excessive front end wear, blow-by etc, long cranking when starting or hard starting hot/cold.

Working on my next broken heart.
(Sold) 04.5 3500 SRW HO 6spd I want her back! VIN: 3D7LU38C24G196788
(Sold) 06, 02, 99, 93
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:09 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the man in black View Post
Why does the absence of codes mean it has been tuned? Could be 100% stock but the last owner was paranoid about his egts.
Haha. That's my truck. Bone stock except DPS two piece exhaust manifold and Pacbrake. I have a CTS2 monitor with EGT probe. The EGTs are surprisingly high but I understand this is "normal" due to stock timing. In my case, I am as interested in monitoring the trans temp as the EGTs.

2004.5 3500 QC SB 4X4 48RE 3.73s Laramie Silver over graphite leather, Pacbrake, Insight CTS2 Monitor, Putco wheel to wheel steps, chromed OEM alloy wheels, Pullrite 16K superglide, Tekonsha Prodigy, Line-X, Extang Trifecta
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Okay guys looked at the 08 6.7 today egr delete kory Willis efi live and diamond eye 4" turbo back with 211k he is asking 19k for it I love the truck and I love that it is a lariat and has DVD player in the back for the kids trans seemed strong no hestitation changing gears no slipping no leaks front main seems to be seeping as well as the rear main he had it on tune 4 he does not have the autocal and did not build the truck I could not tell or hear a difference switching between tune 1 and 5?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

So now the question is do I go with 07 5.9 with 180k built trans 4" mbrp turbo back or do I go with 08 6.7 with 211k and everything that I would want to do to the truck I get already on it
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:27 AM
Diesel Freak

Does yours or a neighboring county require emissions? It's only a matter of time before it's mandated across the board. I've never owned the early 6.7 so i'm not much help there; they all have their quirks, it might just come down to dollars.

Working on my next broken heart.
(Sold) 04.5 3500 SRW HO 6spd I want her back! VIN: 3D7LU38C24G196788
(Sold) 06, 02, 99, 93
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode