Whats the story on #4 injector line cracking due to loose support clamp? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By steelhead1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Whats the story on #4 injector line cracking due to loose support clamp?

I watched some youtube videos and some websites say #4 is redesigned for the clamp (is now rolled, longer support with a black insert). Now I decided to look at all of mine. Injector lines 2-6 have all the blue clamps, all the same. I took a small 5/16" ( I am sure its metric but it worked anyway) box end wrench and they were all snug, but I was able to tighten all the clamps a little more on all 5 lines.
I dont understand this claim that #4 is most likely to crack than the others, seeing they all use the same blue clamp and number 1 has no clamp at all.
I am glad I did tighten up all 5 clamps.
Is tightening the clamps going to solve a loose clamp, it seems like by how it is made, that it can be tightened, as if the central plastic hole wears loose over time, but as tight and stiff as the little bolt is, I cant imagine it coming loose.
I have 160,000 miles on the engine.
My clamps do have a small bolt and they can be tightened.
Anyone care to comment?
Example videos

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

I found the same and did the same as you. But I then ordered Cummins #4 updated fuel line and replaced mine. Convenience/insurance for $40. These lines could break for any number of reasons: metal or insulation inconsistencies, tube design, supplier location....most things have a lifecycle anyway. The lines have tails of fuel at 5-20k+ psi flowing thru them, so that has an effect I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Mega 5.9L, BD Billet/Flexplate/TripleDisc, CTS2 Juice, ATS cover, Hellwig, 5100s, Amsoil Bypass, Fleece Fuel Delete, Beans sump, FASS95, Thuren U/L/T, Dynatrac Free spin and BJs, 09+ steering, Toyo AT2s, CE cables, Fluidampr...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredcab View Post
I found the same and did the same as you. But I then ordered Cummins #4 updated fuel line and replaced mine. Convenience/insurance for $40. These lines could break for any number of reasons: metal or insulation inconsistencies, tube design, supplier location....most things have a lifecycle anyway. The lines have tails of fuel at 5-20k+ psi flowing thru them, so that has an effect I think.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, they do. But no sense the #4 is going to fail sooner to me anyway. Several are about the same length. Notice #1 has no clamp. Does not need a clamp, why is that... since its longer?

The reason for them breaking from the googling I did, was the clamp gets loose because the bolt backs off, the line vibrates and metal fatigues. So if the clamp is not loose, all of them should stay ok.
The new design for #4 has better longer support, no bolt used. But did they redesign all the clamps on the other 4 lines?
I would be curious as to what % actually have failed.
Seems to me oddly strange.

This line is something everyone with a 5.9 24v needs to consider attending to one way or another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

A guy I work with has a 04.5 and he has had #4 injector line fail twice on him. He has around 265k on the truck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:44 PM
Diesel Freak

Put small dabs of red permanent locktite on clamp bolt and nut threads. Torque and let set overnight for locktite to cure
Eric-07 likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:36 AM
Diesel Head

I have fixed quite a few third gens with the failed #4 line.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 ST, RCLB, G56
AFE Intake - 4" Straight Flo-Pro Exhaust - EFILIVE - CARLI - TGC 3.5" lift - 20x12 wheels - 35" AT2 Tires
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:50 AM
Diesel Freak

Lots of highway shop vultures out there charging to save a HPCR diesel owners butt on lonely deserted freeways and the back country remote roads by charging $250++ to change out a broken HPCR feed line.

Always carry a spare #4 new upgrade style in truck parts + tools if one still have the OEM factory POS #4 in or travels far from home and doesn't like getting wallet raped.

Running high RP, high RP duty cycle tunes or pressure box will kill even the new upgrade HD injector lines. Even blows out RPRVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode