Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen. Powertrain (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/)
-   -   Injector trouble far from home (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/2501137-injector-trouble-far-home.html)

CumminsPowered 05-18-2019 10:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Truck is a 2007 5.9 6 Speed 3500. Currently about 1,600 miles from home and I am having an injector problem. My wife, 16 month old boy, and I are 4 weeks into our 5 week camping trip.

Somewhere around 2,500 miles into our trip I went to start the truck in the morning and it was blowing white smoke that smelled like fuel and idling a little rough. The smoke and idle cleared up in about 30-45 seconds. Later that day I went and got some diesel kleen and put in a heavy dose hoping it would get me by until we got home. Truck ran great the next 3,000 miles up until today.

The first start of the day again I had the same white smoke with rough idle. Cleared up shortly after starting again. Drove 6 hours to our next campground and the truck ran great. Upon arrival I went in lot the campground office to check in and left the truck idle for about 5 minutes. When I came back out and went to move I let the clutch out easy and as I did the truck stumbled some and blew some white smoke.

That leaves me in quite a pickle and I am afraid to drive the truck any further. I am in West Yellowstone Montana right now and I have no idea if there are any diesel shops around.

I am thinking my only options are give Injectors Direct a call Monday and see if they can overnight a new set of injectors and I will replace in the campground. If I go this route I will need to figure out all the tools I need to do the job.

Another option would be to see if I can make it home. I have been watching the oil level closely to make sure an injector wasn’t dumping fuel into the crankcase.

Truck only has 18,5xx miles on it. The truck has had a 2 micron fuel filter and water separator on since 2,000 miles. This is the last problem I thought I would have on this truck.

What do you guys/gals recommend? I’d like to not mess with it until I get home but I don’t know if that’s an option. Sorry for the long post, wanted to cover how everytging unfolded.

steelhead1 05-19-2019 06:42 AM

Drain the fuel filter, any water?

Any smell of diesel in the oil?

Any blowby?

If no, I'd put a triple dose of Diesel Kleen in the tank along with a quart of Walmart SuperTech TC-W3 outboard lube.
Then watch the mirrors for white smoke on the drive home. Check the oil level every stop.

What's your EGT gauge show?

Any fresh carbon soot buildup on the tailpipe edge?

rghavana 05-19-2019 07:19 AM

Any codes ? Electronics control fueling.
what is rail pressure when issue happens?
Change fuel filters ?
Any issues with white/black smoke first thing should be check/change fuel and filters.
One bad load of diesel can take out fuel system even with supposed 2 micron filtration.

CumminsPowered 05-19-2019 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by steelhead1 (Post 28984891)
Drain the fuel filter, any water?

Any smell of diesel in the oil?

Any blowby?

If no, I'd put a triple dose of Diesel Kleen in the tank along with a quart of Walmart SuperTech TC-W3 outboard lube.
Then watch the mirrors for white smoke on the drive home. Check the oil level every stop.

What's your EGT gauge show?

Any fresh carbon soot buildup on the tailpipe edge?

I will drain water separator here in a bit. There is no blow by at all. EGTs have been normal both idling and driving down the highway as far as I can tell. As far as the carbon buildup, the tailpipe edges are fairly clean for not being washed in over a month.

How risky do you think it would be to drive this thing home 1,600 miles pulling 14k? I have 2 gallon of diesel kleen And have a double dose in the tank now.

CumminsPowered 05-19-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rghavana (Post 28984897)
Any codes ? Electronics control fueling.
what is rail pressure when issue happens?
Change fuel filters ?
Any issues with white/black smoke first thing should be check/change fuel and filters.
One bad load of diesel can take out fuel system even with supposed 2 micron filtration.

I don’t have a tuner to pull codes. I have no check engine light. I also don’t have a rail pressure guage either. I do have a fuel pressure gauge and it stays between 6-10 psi.

I brought a set of filters with me so I can change them today and see if that helps.

steve05ram360 05-19-2019 09:46 AM

try 16 oz of dex iii/merc non synthetic atf with 24 oz of tc-w3 2 stroke oil to a full tank of fuel and give it 300+ miles or so. do this over the power service diesel additive. If you cant drive 300ish miles then drive it as much as you can before parking it for the nite.

I have had injector issues that psd did not clear up where the atf/2so mix did. If it blows white and does not clear up, i wouldn't recommend driving it.

CumminsPowered 05-19-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve05ram360 (Post 28984973)
try 16 oz of dex iii/merc non synthetic atf with 24 oz of tc-w3 2 stroke oil to a full tank of fuel and give it 300+ miles or so. do this over the power service diesel additive. If you cant drive 300ish miles then drive it as much as you can before parking it for the nite.

I have had injector issues that psd did not clear up where the atf/2so mix did. If it blows white and does not clear up, i wouldn't recommend driving it.

Ok I’m hoping the local Napa carries both oils. I will try and find them and give that a shot.

ssteve 05-19-2019 09:55 AM

Have you tried some ATF? It does work! Put some in run the truck enough to get it into the injectors and let it sit overnight. If it doesn't clean the gunk out of the injector that is sticking, you need new ones. I live 225 miles southwest of where you are, you are welcome to camp in my yard until it is repaired and I could help. Just a option.

CumminsPowered 05-19-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssteve (Post 28984987)
Have you tried some ATF? It does work! Put some in run the truck enough to get it into the injectors and let it sit overnight. If it doesn't clean the gunk out of the injector that is sticking, you need new ones. I live 225 miles southwest of where you are, you are welcome to camp in my yard until it is repaired and I could help. Just a option.

I have not tried ATF yet but I’m going to try and get some today if I can find it. I appreciate the offer, this is a great place full of knowledgeable and generous people.

sdowney717 05-19-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CumminsPowered (Post 28984971)
I don’t have a tuner to pull codes. I have no check engine light. I also don’t have a rail pressure guage either. I do have a fuel pressure gauge and it stays between 6-10 psi.

I brought a set of filters with me so I can change them today and see if that helps.

On my 2005, I can show the engine codes by turning key on-off, on-off, on, and they appear in odometer display.

I second the ATF in the fuel. Knew someone who was told on a 6.7 all injectors were bad, was running real rough and blowing smoke. He pulled fuel filter which was filthy and filled the housing with ATF and dumped ATF in the tank, and within a few miles it was much improved and eventually engine was fine.

I have read the 6.7 injectors are made of tougher metal than the 5.9 as the pressures are higher in the 6.7

sdowney717 05-19-2019 10:30 AM

May not be an injector problem. What if a cylinder compression is too low. No combustion in a cylinder should mean some white smoke and rough running. Could be a valve issue, in which case not overfueling from a leaky bad injector.

How is the engine blow by? Which is rings.

steve05ram360 05-19-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CumminsPowered (Post 28984983)
Ok Im hoping the local Napa carries both oils. I will try and find them and give that a shot.

Any atf wont do, make sure it is non synthetic and the dex iii/merc.