05’ With loud knocking noise, spun rod bearing or? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
05’ With loud knocking noise, spun rod bearing or?

How’s it going everyone, looking for some feedback so I know in what direction I’m going to go, any and all help will be appreciated.

Well I bought a 05’ the other day with engine issues, guy said it was blown, so I went looked over the truck made sure it was clean no rust or other damage we made a deal and I had the truck towed home, I hadn’t even tried starting it, once I get it home I hook up the battery’s and bam no issue starts right up, holds oil pressure, doesn’t smoke, and idles nice, but there’s this loud knocking noise and the sound of metal rubbing, I’m trying to determine if it’s worth trying to rebuild the engine or just go ahead and buy a good used one? I’m goi to try to post a video to help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

I can’t figure out how to post a video, but it seems while the tuck is idling it will knock loudly a few times and stop, sounds fine for a few, then if I rev it up it comes back and knocks faster with higher rpm
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 PM
TWR
Diesel Head

I would check the injectors with a scan tool that has cyl cut out on it if you don't have one, buy a fuel rail cap to test each injector see if the noise changes. If not pull the oil filter and open it up and see whats inside. How many miles on it? Anything done to the truck? Also try to upload a video so members can hear it!

2003 Ram 3500 6 inch lift, 2012 seats and console [email protected] Shifter, Fass 95 pump, Built 47re and mishimoto trans cooler, Srt10 hood, Smarty touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:51 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Take the oil fill cap off then start it. Place your hand or a piece of paper over the hole. Your looking for outward pressure or smoke. This would be and indication of a bad piston. You can also Take the valve cover off and start it. watch the rockers, You should have a good idea if you have a blown cylinder or not. Judging by your
Current description, I dont think your motor is blown. If the motor is blown, I would rebuild the one you have with quality aftermarket parts.

| Firepunk HP-T | Firepunk Comp 2 | GDP Fuel-Boss | T&C 10mm | Ducky 63% | Billet S400 | GDP Air-Boss | Stud's | Rods | Springs | Gauges |
770HP 1150TQ ( Conservative Tune )
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWR View Post
I would check the injectors with a scan tool that has cyl cut out on it if you don't have one, buy a fuel rail cap to test each injector see if the noise changes. If not pull the oil filter and open it up and see whats inside. How many miles on it? Anything done to the truck? Also try to upload a video so members can hear it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PowerHouse View Post
Take the oil fill cap off then start it. Place your hand or a piece of paper over the hole. Your looking for outward pressure or smoke. This would be and indication of a bad piston. You can also Take the valve cover off and start it. watch the rockers, You should have a good idea if you have a blown cylinder or not. Judging by your
Current description, I dont think your motor is blown. If the motor is blown, I would rebuild the one you have with quality aftermarket parts.
Truck has 161k miles, it has intake exhaust and I’m guessing a programmer or upgraded injectors because it will puff smoke when accelerated, I got it with the valve cover already off, allot of smoke/blow by is coming out from the middle of the head, the kid I got it off of didn’t know much about it, had bought it as it is, so im not a 100% sure what’s all done to it other then what I can see, I’ve heard videos of loud knocking due too injectors, but my engine makes a metal rubbing/shearing sound along with the knock, wich leads me to believe it’s metal inbetween the piston and cylinder? I’m still trying to figure out how to post a video, if someone can point me in the right direction I’d appreciate it
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:53 PM
Diesel Head

If you have blow by and smoke coming from the motor with a metal grinding noise then I would say one of your pistons is done. The black smoke you see is probably the un-burt fuel from that bad cylinder. I would stop starting it and letting it run as well, your only going to cause more damage. If I were you, my next move would be to remove the head and see what's going on in there.

| Firepunk HP-T | Firepunk Comp 2 | GDP Fuel-Boss | T&C 10mm | Ducky 63% | Billet S400 | GDP Air-Boss | Stud's | Rods | Springs | Gauges |
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:03 PM
TWR
Diesel Head

Hi i agree with Powerhouse pull the head first and see what is up, i don't realize it had alot of blowby.

2003 Ram 3500 6 inch lift, 2012 seats and console [email protected] Shifter, Fass 95 pump, Built 47re and mishimoto trans cooler, Srt10 hood, Smarty touch.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:47 PM
Diesel Head

The easiest way to post a video is to first post it on Youtube. Then create a new post here that contains a link to your video.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:06 AM
Diesel Freak

First, check all the pushrods and rocker bridges for any damage. Will have to pull the pushrods out and roll on flat plate to test straightness. Check rods for end damage.
Check valves for same height on all tops. Any sticking out further or recessed lower.
If pushrods, rockers and valve heights check out ok, reset valves.
Pull injectors, run compression test.

Pull a crankcase oil sample and send in to oil analysis lab for metals and diesel contamination tests.

If compression test across the 6 vary by more than 10% or metal in oil, pull head.

Do NOT run motor until noise cause found.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:14 AM
Biggen

I just went through this whole mess. I also had a knock so I pulled the injectors and had them tested. Three of the injectors we're bad so I thought I would replace the injectors and the noise would go away. That wasn't my my luck. Ended up being a wrist pin issue and also found out later from my engine builder that two of the rods were out of spec 12k later including new BBI injectors, ARP studs, Hamilton springs and rebuilt engine, it is good as new. I am happy as heck but it was painful. I wasn't able to do any of the work myself due to recent eye surgery, so if you can pull the engine yourself it would save a good chunk of change.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Maroon 2005 qclb 3500 DRW 4x4 nv5600 w/ SB DD. Mods include BBI .5 injectors, Hamilton Springs, ARP 425's, additional 2 mic and water separator, 4" MBRP turbo-back exhaust. Gauges for EGT's and Boost.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead1 View Post
First, check all the pushrods and rocker bridges for any damage. Will have to pull the pushrods out and roll on flat plate to test straightness. Check rods for end damage.
Check valves for same height on all tops. Any sticking out further or recessed lower.
If pushrods, rockers and valve heights check out ok, reset valves.
Pull injectors, run compression test.

Pull a crankcase oil sample and send in to oil analysis lab for metals and diesel contamination tests.

If compression test across the 6 vary by more than 10% or metal in oil, pull head.

Do NOT run motor until noise cause found.
You give good advice however, the OP is far past this now. The OP stated he has excessive blow-by and smoke coming from the head with a loud grinding noise. At this point the OP must pull the head to get and idea of how the cylinders and pistons are looking.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode