Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen. Powertrain (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/)
-   -   any of you had trouble with your front drive shaft (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/2498607-any-you-had-trouble-your-front-drive-shaft.html)

ar_mcadams 04-18-2019 10:00 AM

any of you had trouble with your front drive shaft

Anyone know of, or have had a front shaft (cardan joint) break loose while on the road or have had to replace the thing before it did.

Im debating on ordering a free spin kit or a Tom Woods front drive shaft because of the stories and seeing in person what happens when a front shaft cardan joint breaks loose on the highway and destroys everything around it. Thousand of dollars of damage. I have heard of it breaking with no warning and I have heard of it vibrating first. And some of those were properly greased also.

Who has had trouble with theirs?

24hrsparkey 04-18-2019 10:28 AM

No trouble .
Yes they can be

Replace yours with new IF concerned about it and save money compared to aftermarkey free spin

24hrsparkey 04-18-2019 10:33 AM

If you need to worry about something make a project out of removing the water to trans fluid cooler and plumbing in a nice aux cooler under the truck .

Those can cost ya a complete trans

GloNDark 04-18-2019 03:52 PM

On the Megacab I just bought, I couldn't get the CV joint to take any grease and I didn't have any maintenance records showing anything done to the front shaft. So I pulled it and dropped it off at my local driveshaft guy. He replaced the Cardan joint and put new spicer u-joints in it for $175 out the door. Cheaper than buying a new quality shaft and cheap insurance in my mind.

98whitelightnin 04-18-2019 05:20 PM

Rebuild it yourself, its easy with a vise and ball joint press. Did mine a month or so ago and it cost me $75 and a couple hours time.

55_Cans 04-19-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar_mcadams (Post 28959263)
Anyone know of, or have had a front shaft (cardan joint) break loose while on the road or have had to replace the thing before it did.

Im debating on ordering a free spin kit or a Tom Woods front drive shaft because of the stories and seeing in person what happens when a front shaft cardan joint breaks loose on the highway and destroys everything around it. Thousand of dollars of damage. I have heard of it breaking with no warning and I have heard of it vibrating first. And some of those were properly greased also.

Who has had trouble with theirs?

I have, but not at road speed. Just backing back and forth to turn around on a narrow road. The joint separated and it took out the trans cooler lines (broke the brass fittings that attaches the lines to the tranny), bent the brake lines on the frame, and dented the wiring bundle on the frame. Just a couple of rotations did that. Monitor the joint frequently and you'll be fine.