P2146 & P2149 codes, barely running - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Check engine light came on while driving, truck seemed to be fine, all of the sudden a few miles later truck lost all power, started running real rough and will barely idle. I scanned it and got P2146 ( Fuel Injector Group 1. Supply Voltage Circuit/Open), and P2149 (Fuel injector group 2 supply voltage circuit/open) Cleared the codes and took negative battery cables off for a while and it started and idled fine for a few minutes until i drove and then light came back on and has the same symptoms as before. From what i understand sounds like a bad injector(s) or bad injector wire harness. Any advice/experiences with this problem are greatly appreciated, thanks

95' 2500 hx40, stage 2 industrial injectors, raptor RP150 fuel pump, southbend clutch, 4"-5" Diamondeye exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevenson32 View Post
Check engine light came on while driving, truck seemed to be fine, all of the sudden a few miles later truck lost all power, started running real rough and will barely idle. I scanned it and got P2146 ( Fuel Injector Group 1. Supply Voltage Circuit/Open), and P2149 (Fuel injector group 2 supply voltage circuit/open) Cleared the codes and took negative battery cables off for a while and it started and idled fine for a few minutes until i drove and then light came back on and has the same symptoms as before. From what i understand sounds like a bad injector(s) or bad injector wire harness. Any advice/experiences with this problem are greatly appreciated, thanks
To get both those codes, it seems not an injector, but like your saying an electrical wire harness or wire plug issue. The chances of 2 injectors on different groups suddenly failing and throwing both codes simultaneously is slim.
Electrojake likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

To get both those codes, it seems not an injector, but like your saying an electrical wire harness or wire plug issue. The chances of 2 injectors on different groups suddenly failing and throwing both codes simultaneously is slim.[/QUOTE]

Thats exactly my thinking. Especially because it’ll idle and run fine one minute and then start having these problems. I just cleared the codes and unhooked the batteries again for a while. I hooked them back up and the truck started and idled fine, and no light. I left it idling for about 30 mins and then took it around the block, it drove great for about 1/4 mile and then the light came on, and shortly after it started having the same exact problems as before. I dont understand how it can idle and drive fine one minute and then the light comes on and it starts having those problems again. To get it home i basically had to put the pedal to the floor and the power would cut in and out

95' 2500 hx40, stage 2 industrial injectors, raptor RP150 fuel pump, southbend clutch, 4"-5" Diamondeye exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 PM
Diesel Freak

Is it the truck in your signature? If it is a 05 or 06, the valve cover gasket has the injector wires molded into it and they will sometimes rub through to ground and need to be replaced. If that's not it one of your injector solenoids has failed and is grounding out and that injector needs to be replaced.

2006 2wd long bed quad cab. Bully dog triple dog programer. Cat fuel filter. Transgo shift kit, 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,670 Times in 2,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteve View Post
If it is a 05 or 06, the valve cover gasket has the injector wires molded into it and they will sometimes rub through to ground and need to be replaced.
06+ trucks have the harness integrated to the VC gasket, and, yes it is a typical source of problems along with the connectors.
ssteve likes this.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:05 AM

It does sound like you have a short in the wire harness for the fuel injectors that's part of the valve cover gasket. I've seen similar problems involving that gasket/harness combo before. You can omh out the wires to each injector and that might tell you if you have a short. I'm talking about the end with the male plug on it. The valve cover on that engine, like all 24 valve Cummins is super easy to take off. You could then visually inspect all the wires in the gasket and see if you have any bare spots or arc spots on the metal where the wires touch it. This would also give you the chance to check the crystals on the injectors. How many miles do you currently have? Anything over 150k and I'd look at knocking the injectors out while you're in there of they haven't been done yet.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusiam View Post
06+ trucks have the harness integrated to the VC gasket, and, yes it is a typical source of problems along with the connectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminijeff76 View Post
It does sound like you have a short in the wire harness for the fuel injectors that's part of the valve cover gasket. I've seen similar problems involving that gasket/harness combo before. You can omh out the wires to each injector and that might tell you if you have a short. I'm talking about the end with the male plug on it. The valve cover on that engine, like all 24 valve Cummins is super easy to take off. You could then visually inspect all the wires in the gasket and see if you have any bare spots or arc spots on the metal where the wires touch it. This would also give you the chance to check the crystals on the injectors. How many miles do you currently have? Anything over 150k and I'd look at knocking the injectors out while you're in there of they haven't been done yet.
Yes its the 06, I’ve been reading up alot on the VC wireharness combo and that’s definitely a good place to start it sounds very likely it could be something involving that. I will definitely take the VC off today and inspect all the wires and while i have the valve cover off I’ll ohm check the injectors and wires, I’m at 133k so it’s worth it to check them. The one thing that i did forget to mention is that this started happening shortly after driving through a flooded area, I’m not sure if some water could of splashed up into something, I also know the ecm is mounted kind of low on the drivers side of the block so I am hoping it is just a coincidence and not the ecm or main wire harness. Im definitely missing my 12valve right about now

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusiam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminijeff76 View Post
Yes its the 06, I’ve been reading up alot on the VC wireharness combo and that’s definitely a good place to start it sounds very likely it could be something involving that. I will definitely take the VC off today and inspect all the wires and while i have the valve cover off I’ll ohm check the injectors and wires, I’m at 133k so it’s worth it to check them. The one thing that i did forget to mention is that this started happening shortly after driving through a flooded area, I’m not sure if some water could of splashed up into something, I also know the ecm is mounted kind of low on the drivers side of the block so I am hoping it is just a coincidence and not the ecm or main wire harness. Im definitely missing my 12valve right about now[/QUOTE]

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Cummins Nut

New Cummins valve cover gasket for 06+ was about $150 from Cummins and right at $140 from Geno's garage. Part number 5367847 (IIRC).

Small money and apparently easy install for a gasket that was upgraded to correct the sort of defects we are experiencing. I pulled codes P0201 and P2146 last Sunday so I spent some time looking into it.

It's on my to do list.

06 QCLW SLT Big Ho 4X. 5.9 w/G56. DIY intake mod, DPP Cool Tube, Vulcan VP Max fuel filter, Alum DS, 08 streering/brace, Rancho 9000xl shocks, Hellwig Big Wing sway bar, air bags. Yukon free spin kit. EMF ball joints. Spicer u-joints.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdog View Post
New Cummins valve cover gasket for 06+ was about $150 from Cummins and right at $140 from Geno's garage. Part number 5367847 (IIRC).

Small money and apparently easy install for a gasket that was upgraded to correct the sort of defects we are experiencing. I pulled codes P0201 and P2146 last Sunday so I spent some time looking into it.

It's on my to do list.
Awesome thank you for the part number, if its looking damaged i will probably just go ahead and replace the VC gasket anyway. Let me know what you find out with yours. I’m really hoping to get this diagnosed today so i can order whatever parts it needs. Just curious what is the P0201 code?

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:01 PM
Cummins Nut

Cylinder #1.

i disconnected and reconnected connectors and jiggled wires from gasket connection to ecm....I believe I had a wire rubbing on the brace for the under intake horn secondary fuel filter. Will schedule shop time to follow this and do some other work that's due.

06 QCLW SLT Big Ho 4X. 5.9 w/G56. DIY intake mod, DPP Cool Tube, Vulcan VP Max fuel filter, Alum DS, 08 streering/brace, Rancho 9000xl shocks, Hellwig Big Wing sway bar, air bags. Yukon free spin kit. EMF ball joints. Spicer u-joints.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: Pulled the VC,visually everything looked good and I tested all of the injectors and individual wires. All injectors were exactly .5ohms and wires were at .2 ohms, from what I understand thats what they are supposed to be at am I right? So im assuming that means issue is in main wire harness or ecm?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode