P2146 & P2149 codes, barely running - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:28 PM
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Well not really, because the problem only happens when the engine is running and warm. Things change when they get hot. I'll bet it's the valve cover gasket, as there have been known issues with them.

2006 2wd long bed quad cab. Bully dog triple dog programer. Cat fuel filter. Transgo shift kit, 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:40 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstevenson32 View Post
UPDATE: Pulled the VC,visually everything looked good and I tested all of the injectors and individual wires. All injectors were exactly .5ohms and wires were at .2 ohms, from what I understand thats what they are supposed to be at am I right? So im assuming that means issue is in main wire harness or ecm?
Seems your injectors are fine by themselves. So then just the wiring going to the injectors maybe intermittently open inside the wire plugs?
Or a broken wire inside the insulation wire sheath.
Could be bad plug end terminal connectors not making a good connection somewhere.

good practical video on fixing p2146
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Quote:
UPDATE: Pulled the VC,visually everything looked good and I tested all of the injectors and individual wires. All injectors were exactly .5ohms and wires were at .2 ohms, from what I understand thats what they are supposed to be at am I right? So im assuming that means issue is in main wire harness or ecm?
Seems your injectors are fine by themselves. So then just the wiring going to the injectors maybe intermittently open inside the wire plugs?
Or a broken wire inside the insulation wire sheath.
Could be bad plug end terminal connectors not making a good connection somewhere.

good practical video on fixing p2146
Thanks for the reply ill definetly have to inspect all of that alittle further.

UPDATE
Truck started running good and i was able to drive around, then I went out of state and the truck sat for a week and when i got back today and went to start it, the truck had a real hard time starting and when it finally did it idled horribly and blew a ridiculous amount of white and grey smoke. CEL came on and i got a P0606 “ECM hardware error” and only the P2146 this time. At this point I’m pretty stumped. I want to say maybe a bad ECM or wiring but all that white smoke and sputtering hard idle makes me think more on the injector side

95' 2500 hx40, stage 2 industrial injectors, raptor RP150 fuel pump, southbend clutch, 4"-5" Diamondeye exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE for anyone who stumbles on this thread with the same issues, the ECM ended up being fried. I replaced the ECM, all the issues went away and its running good now

95' 2500 hx40, stage 2 industrial injectors, raptor RP150 fuel pump, southbend clutch, 4"-5" Diamondeye exhaust
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:41 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
UPDATE for anyone who stumbles on this thread with the same issues, the ECM ended up being fried. I replaced the ECM, all the issues went away and its running good now
Good you got it fixed. When you changed the ECM, did it need to be flashed for the vin number, I think its not just plug and play?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Good you got it fixed. When you changed the ECM, did it need to be flashed for the vin number, I think its not just plug and play?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I know it’s about time truck was down for almost a month. I sent my ECM out to be tested and when it tested bad that company has ECMs that they are able to flash for my VIN, mileage and manual transmission. As far as my understanding goes they are not plug and play but you can always get them reflashed if you find a used one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode