Dually Rear Brake Replacement - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

6Likes
  • 1 Post By 55_Cans
  • 1 Post By evildiesel
  • 1 Post By CTD NUT
  • 2 Post By Grit dog
  • 1 Post By Grogg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Dually Rear Brake Replacement

I am planning to replace my rear pads and rotors on my dually. I have the FSM but was looking for a decent video that showed the process. Attached is a 5 part series that shows how it's done.

Except, the videos don't show how to remove/torque the rotor/hub bolts and torque the axle shaft bolts without rotating the assembly while trying to rotate the breaker bar/torque wrench. My idea is to place a breaker bar, wrapped in a microfiber towel, and place the bar between the axle studs to hold everything stationary while torque is applied to the bolt and to torque all the bolts in a crisscross pattern. The towel will help protect the wheel studs. Any other ideas?

I do have 2 questions: Included with my Mopar pads are new clips. I assume I could reuse the old ones but will plan on replacing them? And besides needing to possibly lube the caliper slide bolts, is brake grease needed to be applied to the underside of the clips where the pads slide into? I assume yes to grease application there as well.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 QC/DRW Sport
Mods...what mods? I have to pay for it first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:26 PM
Diesel Freak

That will work fine.

The bolts that hold the rotor to the hub are special and expensive from the stealership if you break one. If you mildly heat them before removing, the loctite usually gives them up.

The rear seal usually resists going back on the axle stub, use care to avoid damaging it. If you keep the outside bearing in place by hand and following the hub it helps with alignment to get the seal in place.

A bad thing about the dually setup is that the rear seal is fragile and can be damaged easily by brake heating. Long downhill grades under heavy braking can take out the seal. Then you have fluid creeping out and running onto the rotor and pads resulting in no braking power.

The outside axle gasket is easy to make if you buy material. They should not be reused. I'm sometimes tempted to use RTV gasket maker but think that might make it harder to come apart later.
BR3500 likes this.

2006 3500SLT 4x4 Dually 5.9 Diesel w/ 25' Gooseneck Tandem Dually Equipment Trailer
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Yep, I priced out those bolts and the hubs...Dodge is awfully proud of those parts... I plan to use copious amounts of penetrating products to help dis-assembly. And I have new seals too. Looking forward to some intimate times with 13 year old parts.....patience is the virtue here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:54 PM
Diesel Head

I’ve done lots of these. Once you’re done you will think it’s not so bad. Make sure you have the special socket for the axle nut. The rotor to hub bolts aren’t that bad either. Just use an impact gun and it’ll zip them off. Clean the bolts off and use loctite to put them back in.

Also, don’t use an aftermarket hub seal. I’ve had the best luck with the OEM Mopar hub seals. I’ve used all the other brand name seals and they have either leaked right away or shortly after.
BR3500 likes this.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 ST, RCLB, G56
AFE Intake - 4" Straight Flo-Pro Exhaust - EFILIVE - CARLI - TGC 3.5" lift - 20x12 wheels - 35" AT2 Tires
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildiesel View Post
Iíve done lots of these. Once youíre done you will think itís not so bad. Make sure you have the special socket for the axle nut. The rotor to hub bolts arenít that bad either. Just use an impact gun and itíll zip them off. Clean the bolts off and use loctite to put them back in.

Also, donít use an aftermarket hub seal. Iíve had the best luck with the OEM Mopar hub seals. Iíve used all the other brand name seals and they have either leaked right away or shortly after.
Thanks. I have the tools (hub socket and the seal press plate). And I bought all Mopar parts. Thanks for the impact gun tip...that and the penetrating fluid and heat, hopefully, will do the trick.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:12 AM
Cummins Nut

I've done this job several times and never broken one of the hub to rotor bolts. As Evildiesel stated, am impact gun zips them out in no time. And good plan to change the inner wheel bearing seals while you are there. It's not uncommon for old seals to start seeping after pulling the hubs off and reinstalling them. It's cheap insurance to just replace them now while you are doing rotors.
BR3500 likes this.

03 3500 QC DRW 4x4 6spd-6.7 Swap w/DPS S475/ported HE351 Twins, Smarty MM3/Calibrated Power tuning, F1 60 HP sticks, Pacbrake PRXB w/5" Flo Pro exhaust
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:17 PM
Diesel Head

If you have a 4wd, and are doing the work on the ground, you could lock it in 4wd before starting the job. That would save monkeying around with the breaker bar/towel.
Or put a bar through a u joint where it will brace against the floor or the truck .
tryNto and BR3500 like this.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:39 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit dog View Post
If you have a 4wd, and are doing the work on the ground, you could lock it in 4wd before starting the job. That would save monkeying around with the breaker bar/towel.
Or put a bar through a u joint where it will brace against the floor or the truck .
maybe on a 2500 with rotor-over-hub-and-lug-nuts style hub, axle shafts will be out and hub will be off while you have to bolt the rotor to the hub on a DRW style hub.

I wouldn't bother with the microfiber cloth, a piece of flat stock (mine is like 0.5"x1"x24") wedged between two lug nuts gives plenty of counter-leverage to torque the nuts on.

another pro-tip: impact gun does take out the rotor to hub bolts nicely, but you can do it with hand tools. factory specs red loc tite on the rotor to hub bolts (and you should be using some on replacement as per FSM), so a little heat with a propane torch and they will come out with hand tools no problem
BR3500 likes this.

2006 RAM 3500 DRW 6 speed 4WD QCLB: unit bearing delete, metric delete, all tow no go.
1991 W350 SRW auto 4WD RCLB: Fleetjunk delete, Garmon trans, NASTRUCK
Just say no to metric Daimler-Fiat
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:07 PM
Diesel Head

Great Information Here. In the next year or so this will be on my TO DO list

Thank You all

2006 Blue Laramie DRW. 3500 5.9 G56 Mobil Delvac 50, Tans Cool PTO Covers, GDP Fuel Boss, GDP Double-X Ladder Bars, GPD big line kit, GDP MK-2 Fuel filter kit with CAT UHE 416 1225, GDP Power-Flo Intake Manifold, Throttle Up Industries Dual Fuel Filters, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cool Hose, Timbrens, 26k with Horses in Trailer, ................... BBi's .5 Towing Injectors WOW!
Carli Ball Joints
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:41 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
I've done this job several times and never broken one of the hub to rotor bolts. As Evildiesel stated, am impact gun zips them out in no time. And good plan to change the inner wheel bearing seals while you are there. It's not uncommon for old seals to start seeping after pulling the hubs off and reinstalling them. It's cheap insurance to just replace them now while you are doing rotors.
Yeah I use an impact to get mine out, one of those cordless 1/2" Dewalt 20V Max XR model. But if the rotor bolts don't loosen up right away, don't push it. My impact did break one once, then you have to extract the broken stud and pay dearly for a replacement.

2006 3500SLT 4x4 Dually 5.9 Diesel w/ 25' Gooseneck Tandem Dually Equipment Trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode