Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen. Powertrain (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/)
-   -   48RE Shifting Issue (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/2498005-48re-shifting-issue.html)

Army_Cowboy 04-10-2019 02:01 PM

48RE Shifting Issue

Been having some issues with my 48RE when shifting. I attached a video to show the problems and I think it is my valve body.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=a3t_UcKt8cI

Thank you for the help.

Cheebahawk 04-10-2019 04:41 PM

That's not actually related to your transmission whatsoever. There's a sensor under your dashboard above the throttle pedal that is out of alignment or failing. My 2005 has the same issue. Mechanically it doesn't matter, but sure is weird driving with the "R" lit or nothing at all.

Army_Cowboy 04-10-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheebahawk (Post 28952637)
That's not actually related to your transmission whatsoever. There's a sensor under your dashboard above the throttle pedal that is out of alignment or failing. My 2005 has the same issue. Mechanically it doesn't matter, but sure is weird driving with the "R" lit or nothing at all.

Do you know what the fix is for it?

Stox225 04-10-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Army_Cowboy (Post 28952699)
Do you know what the fix is for it?

MORE PT!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TWR 04-10-2019 07:08 PM

Hi try putting it through the gauge swipe test, it will check all gauges and dash lights and the gear shift lights. Push the odometer reset and then turn the key to on {don't start the truck] then release the odometer rest button it will do the test. If the 1st gear lights up its likely in the range selector or wiring going to it.

Army_Cowboy 04-10-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stox225 (Post 28952741)
MORE PT!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am retired after 24+ years, of course you know that :grin2:

Army_Cowboy 04-10-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWR (Post 28952749)
Hi try putting it through the gauge swipe test, it will check all gauges and dash lights and the gear shift lights. Push the odometer reset and then turn the key to on {don't start the truck] then release the odometer rest button it will do the test. If the 1st gear lights up its likely in the range selector or wiring going to it.

I will try that and let you know what the outcome is.

Army_Cowboy 04-10-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWR (Post 28952749)

I just did this and the gear selector only kept park lite up.

TWR 04-10-2019 08:15 PM

hi it did the gauge swipe and the dash lights come on but only the park light came on in the gear selector window?

Army_Cowboy 04-10-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWR (Post 28952833)
hi it did the gauge swipe and the dash lights come on but only the park light came on in the gear selector window?

Yes, only the park have the square around it and never moved to another gear.

TWR 04-10-2019 08:35 PM

Hi when you do the test all the gear shift lights PRND12 should be on with a lighted square around each one. All the gear shift lights work when you go through the gears with the truck running except first? Have you tried adjusting the shift cable? Most of the gear shift light problems are the cable adjustment, range selector, rooster comb plastic part on the valvebody, TCM, gauge cluster or wiring.

Army_Cowboy 04-10-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWR (Post 28952855)
Hi when you do the test all the gear shift lights PRND12 should be on with a lighted square around each one. All the gear shift lights work when you go through the gears with the truck running except first? Have you tried adjusting the shift cable? Most of the gear shift light problems are the cable adjustment, range selector, rooster comb plastic part on the valvebody, TCM, gauge cluster or wiring.

All light up except Neutral and 1st, if I wiggle the shifter I can get the light around N but not 1st. I dont know how to adjust the cable.

I have tried to replace the plunger piece for gear shifting with a replacement from O'Reilly's and P and 2 would not light up anymore. So I will assume I have a wiring problem some where between the column and the transmission.

Thank you for your help.