Does this look like an exhaust manifold leak - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MDSWA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Does this look like an exhaust manifold leak

Is the black and white area at the Y intersection of the exhaust manifold due to a small leak in the exhaust manifold? I circled the black area in red and drew an arrow to the white spot. Maybe this is normal discoloration after 280,000 miles.

Im stock and occasionally towed or hauled heavy across country but not on a monthly basis. I'm retired now and just started hauling heavy (12,500 GVW) on a monthly basis an expect to continue this for the next few years.

I do not hear any type of exhaust leak.

I am about to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets due to the exhaust leak at the #6 cylinder. You can see the black soot beginning to show. My plan is to loosen the manifold bolts, leave the manifold in place and change the gaskets and bolts one at a time.

I also will replace the 3 inch tube on the heater line.

I do not want to replace the manifold until I have to, but if this is reason to expect a new manifold in a couple of months I'd think it would be best to wait on replacing the gaskets.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust Manifold.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	830229  

2007, 3500, 4x4, dually, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE w/ 3D torque converter, 4.10 rear, stock tires, Amsoil oil bypass, TruXedo Deuce cover, BD exhaust brake, Rancho shocks, Firestone Air Bags, StableLoads, SuperHitch, 300K miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:50 PM
Diesel Head

I can't tell if that's a manifold crack from the photo, but that spot you marked is where they seem to crack. I'll post a link to several images of cracked manifolds that might help. With your mileage, I wouldn't be surprised to see a crack there with thousands of heat cycles. If you try to replace gaskets, they may not seal as most of these high mileage manifolds are warped and won't go back on correctly. In either case (cracked or needing new gaskets) I think you'll need a new manifold. There are several aftermarket manifolds available, all of which seem to be much better than the factory manifold.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dodg...w=1680&bih=939
StansDodge likes this.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

Thanks for the info! There were some great write-ups and youtubes associated with some of the pics.

2007, 3500, 4x4, dually, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE w/ 3D torque converter, 4.10 rear, stock tires, Amsoil oil bypass, TruXedo Deuce cover, BD exhaust brake, Rancho shocks, Firestone Air Bags, StableLoads, SuperHitch, 300K miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode