Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Engine Oil question

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  steelhead1 
#1 ·
My 05 cummins 5.9L calls for 3 gallons of oil in which I use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. Do you put all 3 gallons directly into engine and use a pint you have laying around for the oil filter or do you put some oil out of the 3 gallons you have in the oil filter? I had 2 pints laying around which I used for the oil filter and I put 3 gallons directly in the motor.

#2 ·
I've only put 3 gallons total and that includes loading up the new filter with oil before install. and the stick shows just right above the middle part of the level line.

Reactions: Broncowilly
#3 ·
I pre-fill the oil filter and then dump the remaining in the engine. :thumbup:

Reactions: Broncowilly
#4 ·
I drain old oil, remove old filter, install new filter, open oil filler on valve cover, deposit 3.0 gallons of new oil, start, drive, repeat every 7-8k or so miles.

There are alot worse things you can do to your engine than not pre-fill an oil filter, and if it was harmful, all the engines with horizontal or upside down oil filters would blow up!

#6 ·
There are alot worse things you can do to your engine than not pre-fill an oil filter, and if it was harmful, all the engines with horizontal or upside down oil filters would blow up!
Its not ALL oil filters that are the problem, but specific to these engines. The oil system on the Cummins is particularly high volume / high pressure and can damage dry filter media apart upon start up. This is where the whole "dont use FRAM filters" on these specific engines originated from in the early 2000's. Because people would install a dry oil filter during oil changes and when they start the engine the oil rushing through the filter media would blow it apart, throwing filter media debris throughout the engine and plug up the oil jets. If a FRAM was found on the engine the warranty was voided too. So its not just a old wives tale...

But that said, I like to pre-fill on my vertical oil filters simply because I prefer not to hear a few seconds of dry bearings and valve-train click clacking. :thumbup:

Reactions: Jimmy N.
#7 ·
You should prefill oil filter so engine has oil supply/pressure ASAP.
You probably get away with it, because you never get all oil out and oil sticks to bearings surfaces.

There are approved filters for these engines, the fram filter issue was caused by glue/epoxy getting in piston spray nozzles, not pressure issue.
Good info here https://blog.genosgarage.com/wordpr...-buyers-guide-part-two-oil-filter-comparison/

#8 ·
It wasn't anything related to adhesives but rather the neoprene compounds in the media. Here's the old TSB for information. :thumbup: TSB 09-004-01

Reactions: Grogg
#9 ·
Neoprene sealant/glue is what was used to hold plate in filter. :wink2:

TECHNICAL INFORMATION

It has been brought to our attention that a few DaimlerChrysler service technicians are
recommending that the FRAM PH3976 filter not be used on DaimlerChrysler vehicles with
the Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel engine and that use of these filters can cause damage to
the engine. DaimlerChrysler has informed us that they released a Technical Service
Bulletin to their dealerships communicating a potential contamination issue and
recommending the use of Fleetguard manufactured filters.
FRAM has been selling PH3976 filter for this engine application since the engine platform
launch and it has maintained an extremely reliable service record.
Late in 2000, Cummins and DaimlerChrysler brought to our attention a low incidence
failure mode in their Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel engine of the piston cooling nozzle
plugging, resulting in engine failure. The plugging was caused by contaminates lodging in
the nozzle. The contaminants included metal chips, calcium carbonate, polyethylene, and
styrene butadiene that are not associated with filter manufacture, and a neoprene
compound,
which is used as a sealant on the tapping plate of the filter. There were also
several other engine warranty issues determined unrelated to the piston cooling nozzle
plugging that were part of the engine failure sample.
A small amount of neoprene rubber was used in the FRAM filter as a sealant. Throughout
our investigation with Cummins & DaimlerChrysler on various engine failures, no
conclusive evidence was found to assign cause to filters or other contamination
sources. However, driven to satisfy our customers, the FRAM engineering team made
modifications to the design eliminating the neoprene and expedited development and
manufacturing to release a revised filter model number to PH3976A.
With the design change on the PH3976A completely removing the use of neoprene,
there is absolutely no validity in comments that the Fram filter should not be used
for this application or that it may cause engine failures associated with plugged
nozzles.
The Honeywell Consumer Products Group warranty policy also protects the consumer if it
is determined that a FRAM filter is responsible for damage to an engine due to defects in
design or workmanship.
This information should be openly conveyed to our customers if they have any concerns or
apprehension about using a FRAM filter for this application.

#10 ·
I'll never understand the reasoning of using an expensive 5w40 oil and then putting on a $5 oil filter that has cheap engineering and minimal components on a $10,000 engine.

Instead of going into the local cheapy auto parts store, hit the local class 8 truck/HD equip diesel shop parts counter or order in bulk online real diesel engine filters.

#14 ·
The filter in a properly functioning truck never sees full oil pressure.

From Cummins Service Manual ISBe, ISB, and QSB (Common Rail Fuel System) Series Engines

Oil flow through the engine enters the suction tube and
travels into the gerotor-style lubrication pump. The oil is
pressurized and fed into the oil cooler cover. Within the
cover a pressure-regulating valve regulates the oil to 414
kPa [60 psi]. Excess oil is returned to the suction side of
the lubricating oil pump for 3.9L and 5.9L engines and to
the oil pan for 4.5L and 6.7L engines. Oil continues
through the lubricating oil cooler to the lubricating oil filter
bypass valve. The lubricating oil filter bypass valve will
open if the pressure across the filter exceeds 345 kPa [50
psi]. Oil leaves the filter and supplies a line to the
turbocharger, directed cooling nozzle rifle, and main oil
rifle through a drilling between cylinders 1 and 2.
A main rifle runs the length of the block on the fuel pump
side of the engine. The rifle supplies lubricating oil to the
main bearings and crankshaft. Lubricating oil flows from
the main bearings to the cam journals/bushings and
piston-cooling nozzles, if equipped. The drilling in the
crankshaft supplies lubricating oil to the rod bearings.
Vertical drillings from the cylinder head deck to the main
oil rifle supply oil to the cylinder head. Oil passes through
the cylinder head gasket and enters the cylinder head.
The drilling continues in the cylinder head to a drilling in
the rocker lever pedestal. Internal drillings in the pedestal
supply lubricating oil to the rocker shaft, push tube socket,
and crosshead pad. A second main lubricating oil rifle runs
the length of the cylinder block on the oil cooler side. This
rifle supplies lubricating oil to the directed piston-cooling
nozzles, if equipped.

#16 ·
Well, I've tried to find the answer but, my newbe is really showing! here goes: So, am I supposed to use the Shell Rotello for Diesel trucks which cost $30+ a gallon or the Shell 15w-40 T-4 for $16 per gallon? The counter clerk said the T-4 but, he also said I only needed 2 gals plus 2 qts. Reason stated: that's 12 quarts!

#19 ·
Lady, I can't really recommend anything there. I've been using Delo 400 and Valvoline, the latter either synthetic (in the Ram) or conventional in the tractors.

But considering where you live, T4 15W-40 should be just fine, I'd think.

#24 · (Edited)
Over filled reguardless what the dipstick shows.
Oil capicity is always stated with filter inclusive, been that way for 55 years I know of.

#23 ·
5.9 Cummins in Dodge Ram take 3 gallons of engine oil including filter, any oil Dino or Synthetic with API CK-4 or API CJ4 rating will work, like any vehicle should pick viscosity, based on use of vehicle/temperature in your local.

If plan on doing maintenance yourself can read/learn about your truck, lots of good info here https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/22069665-post1.html :wink2:

#25 ·
Jesus H.ussein Christ

You guys fight more over oil than the Russians and the Saudis do.
At least Putin and Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud settle their disagreements by sending paid killers out to finish the other guy off with chemical WMD or bone saws and a Skill saw.:crying::crying:

There is so much oil mist and foam flinging around in the open crankcase chamber from the oil squirters that a little more from the rods whipping up the oil pool in the bottom have no bearing (excuse the pun not) on the matter.

2 gals of that oil is up in the pump, filter, galleries, bearings, and on top of the head trying to drain back by the time the engine is up to warm start oil pressure.
1 gal plus a quart extra in that humongous oil pan sump is like a fly spec on a sperm whale's sex organ.

Hell, lots of you experts run them with 3 gals of oil and 5 gals of diesel until it runs out the top hole.:grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.