Both batteries reached max temp - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Both batteries reached max temp

Got a battery warning on my Insight CTS2 today. It said 153*. So I popped the hood and shot them with my IR thermometer and the top of both read 147*. The battery gauge said 14v. When I opened the hood they started cooling down. Not sure if that was coincidence since they cooled off in less than 3 minutes. I also noted that the IAT was at 110.

Now here's the back story. I was in an empty parking lot practicing backing my new 31' travel trailer (never pulled a trailer before today). Had all the lights and the A/C on. I had been out there about 15 minutes and had just made a 60 mile trip from the RV dealership.

I have cleaned and tightened all the battery terminals prior to this event. So my path forward is to go through all the grounds on the charging system and elsewhere unless you guys and gals have a better idea. Help?

04.5 2500 2WD, 48RE, 3.73s, Edge Insight, Bone Stock. Towing a 35' 8.7Klb Travel Trailer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:33 AM
Diesel Head

You're on the right track inspecting all the battery terminals - including the crossover cable. I would check them again just to be sure that one didn't loosen up. A loose cable can cause the alternator to overcharge. Grounds are next. You can also perform a charging system test and have your batteries load tested. If you have a bad battery, replace both at the same time.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
The Following User Says Thank You to MDSWA For This Useful Post:
Puffer (04-30-2018)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 03:09 AM
Cummins Fan

When your batteries were getting hot did your volt gauge on the dash spike up or down or was it at 14 the whole timel? There is a voltage regulator in the system and when it fails it can cause overcharging and a battery will melt then the other or at least that is what happened to me.

2003 2500 S.O. Quad Cab, Longbed, 4x4, nv4500, BHAF, Smarty Touch, Southbend Dual Disk Clutch, Torque Diesel Injectors +50, Big Moe 180 Alternator, 4" turbo back exhaust, ARP Head Studs, metal fuel filter cap, Pusher intake elbow, 2? Micron fuel filter frame mount
The Following User Says Thank You to Avant5977 For This Useful Post:
Puffer (04-30-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:57 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
if your IAT was at 110* it stands to reason it was probably pretty hot under the hood, and sounds like you were taxing the charging system just a little.

think of all the other people who probably do the same thing time and time again (stop and go traffic with a trailer in hot weather), and probably go a bit hotter than that but never know it because they're not watching.

IMO I wouldn't worry about it too much , wait until you smell boiling to start worrying LOL
Jimmy N. likes this.

2006 RAM 3500 DRW 6 speed 4WD QCLB: unit bearing delete, metric delete, all tow no go.
1991 W350 SRW auto 4WD RCLB: Fleetjunk delete, Garmon trans, NASTRUCK
Just say no to metric Daimler-Fiat
The Following User Says Thank You to Grogg For This Useful Post:
Puffer (04-30-2018)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fan

I went through the cables again, cleaned the block grounds, checked voltage drops at alternator mount.

I went out to practice backing again today. It was upper 70s. After about 30 minutes the same thing happened. I opened the hood and the batteries cooled down immediately. The charging voltage was 13.6. It's 14.3 normally.

Grogg, i think you may be right. I think if everyone had an Insight and had a 150* alarm set for battery temp, a lot more people would be talking.

I'm not sure if i set the alarm for 150 or if it was defaulted to that value. I have been Googling around trying to find information on what is considered too hot. All I can find is that excessive heat cycling speeds up internal corrosion and reduces capacity.

How hot is too hot?

04.5 2500 2WD, 48RE, 3.73s, Edge Insight, Bone Stock. Towing a 35' 8.7Klb Travel Trailer.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:44 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogg View Post
if your IAT was at 110* it stands to reason it was probably pretty hot under the hood, and sounds like you were taxing the charging system just a little.

think of all the other people who probably do the same thing time and time again (stop and go traffic with a trailer in hot weather), and probably go a bit hotter than that but never know it because they're not watching.

IMO I wouldn't worry about it too much , wait until you smell boiling to start worrying LOL
If 110 IATs mean it's hot under there. I wonder what it's like when I get into the 130 or 140 range... lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie - FASS150 - VB BY DYNAMIC - 2" THUREN SUSPENSION - 13.8s 1/4 - MM3 - STOCK INTAKE AND EXHAUST.. WERE RECYCLED, YEAH THAT. - AMPs - LOTS MORE STUFF SOON
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:38 AM

Hi all,

I’m a new member, just picked up a used 2016 Ram 2500HD with a 6.7 Cummins and 66k miles, a month ago. I started smelling the sulfur smell today. I hit the batteries with my laser thermometer and the driver side had a high of 108 degrees and the passenger had a whopping 180 degrees. What was interesting was before I started to smell the sulfur, my truck wouldn’t start I had to use my jumper. Then after getting home later I noticed the smell. I plan on taking it into the dealership this weekend and having them address it.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaliMann21 For This Useful Post:
vermandel (11-20-2019)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 03:06 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,327 Posts
You MUST do a resistance test on the crossover cable. Search here for procedure and numbers. 14v is normal Alternator voltage. Batteries alone and together OFF should be around 12.6.
24hrsparkey likes this.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish95971 View Post
You MUST do a resistance test on the crossover cable. Search here for procedure and numbers. 14v is normal Alternator voltage. Batteries alone and together OFF should be around 12.6.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just went to the dealership today. They tried to say it wasn’t covered, I showed them the section where it says under the 125 point inspection. “Battery condition/load test and Charging system operation.” I then said, I was sold an uncertified vehicle even thought it was advertised as certified. He knew where I was going with it. The service guy went to the sales mgr and he approved two new batteries and a free rental.

Once I get the truck back I’ll run a resistance check!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 11:52 PM
Diesel Head

Their "certified" what ever it is program has to cover the cables and connectors also, part of the charging system.
New batteries won't solve a failed cable/connector problem. Battery boilover destroys lots of these diesel pickups
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 08:58 PM
Diesel Head

Unless you have a very accurate ohm meter ie .0001 ohms, and because of very low resistance found in large diameter battery cables, best test for large battery cables is voltage drop, with Good batteries Ie 12.6 volts, measure voltage of batteries, difference between both batteries should be around 0.1-0.2 volts, should check good grounds also
tryNto, steelhead1 and MDSWA like this.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 11:35 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMann21 View Post
Hi all,

I’m a new member, just picked up a used 2016 Ram 2500HD with a 6.7 Cummins and 66k miles, a month ago. I started smelling the sulfur smell today. I hit the batteries with my laser thermometer and the driver side had a high of 108 degrees and the passenger had a whopping 180 degrees. What was interesting was before I started to smell the sulfur, my truck wouldn’t start I had to use my jumper. Then after getting home later I noticed the smell. I plan on taking it into the dealership this weekend and having them address it.

Some things hold true through all the Gen of these trucks, Since you have a 2016 4th Gen you really should be in that section instead of 3rd Gen.
https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4...liter-cummins/
rghavana likes this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode