Hard Brake Pedal - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hard Brake Pedal

My truck has had a hard time braking lately. Feels like there is a small block of wood under the pedal around 1/2 way down and the truck won't come to a stop very fast. I've seen a few other posts covering my issue but wanted to make sure. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2005 QCLB 3/4T Laramie White| 5'' Silverline TBE | BHAF | 295/70 Toyo M/T | Alpine HU | Smarty JR | Blitz DTT | Pyro/Boost/Trans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Sounds like the ABS system on your truck is engaging and/or malfunctioning.

Try pulling the large, green 40 amp fuse (#6) in the PDC and and see if your braking "problem" corrects itself.

NOTE: Pulling the fuse WILL turn on the ABS/brake light waring on the dash, but it will go off again after you put the fuse back in.

ALL that you are trying to do is to shut off the ABS pump module to see if your brake "problem" then goes away. If so, there is a problem with the ABS sensors, module or pump and you will have to dig deeper OR you can simply keep the ABS system (OBVIOUSLY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!) disconnected. ALL that the ABS systems do on these trucks is to keep the wheels from locking up and the truck skidding while using the brakes. Some people actually prefer the way their truck stops without the ABS system operating. You can mimic the what the ABS does by rapidly pumping your brake pedal during an emergency stopping situation, which is what drivers used to have to do before the wholesale impleamntaiton of ABS in all vehicles.

WARNING and DISCLAIMER: if you do in fact disconnect the ABS system, you do so at your own risk and possible culpability!!!
For example, if you ever cause an accident and the investigators find that the system has been disconnected you will be rapidly sued into financial oblivion!!

2005 SLT 4x4 QC LB G56, GDP horn, HDCAI, SBC ConOFE,
The Following User Says Thank You to seafish For This Useful Post:
MattH (04-23-2018)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 05:33 PM
Diesel Head

With no abs/warnings, to me sounds like hydroboost/powersteering or master cylinder/linkage to pedal.

Any power steering issues unusual noises?.

Can check hydroboost assist by

BOOSTER FUNCTION TEST
With the engine off depress the brake pedal several
times to discharge the accumulator. Then depress the
brake pedal using 40 lbs. of force and start the
engine. The brake pedal should fall and then push
back against your foot. This indicates the booster is
operating properly.
ACCUMULATOR LEAKDOWN
(1) Start the engine, apply the brakes and turn the
steering wheel from lock to lock. This will ensure the
accumulator is charged. Turn off the engine and let
the vehicle sit for one hour. After one hour there
should be at least two power assisted brake application
with the engine off. If the system does not retain
a charge the booster must be replaced.
(2) With the engine off depress the brake pedal
several times to discharge the accumulator. Grasp
the accumulator and see if it wobbles or turns. If it
does the accumulator has lost a gas charge and the
booster must be replaced
tryNto and MDSWA like this.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
The Following User Says Thank You to rghavana For This Useful Post:
MattH (04-23-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

I can't remember why, but a while ago my brake pedal started wobbling left to right. It's been like that for at least 5 years. Also, as it's getting worse lately I smell my brakes after the truck stops.

I will check these things out you mentioned and report back. Thanks.

2005 QCLB 3/4T Laramie White| 5'' Silverline TBE | BHAF | 295/70 Toyo M/T | Alpine HU | Smarty JR | Blitz DTT | Pyro/Boost/Trans
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:34 AM
Diesel Head

Flush your entire line set to start. It’s not hard to do by yourself. YouTube it. Check back after you’ve flushed the ENTIRE line starts mg at the rear passenger and working your way forward. Getting new fluid in the entire system. It makes all the difference I. The world.

2007 5.9 MC - AIRDOG, AIRLIFT, ARP, AUTOMETER, BMS 100's, CPP 103# SPRINGS, 62/475, EXERGY 10mm, EFI LIVE BY [email protected] gltuningsolutions.com @DODGE74
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, POWER DRIVEN DIESEL TRANS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MBRP, MOTOMETAL, PRO COMP, NITTO RGS SUPERGLIDE 3600, FUZION 5'R
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric-07 For This Useful Post:
MattH (04-23-2018)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Other thing to look at is at this age the rubber lines are getting dry rotted and the internal liner can collapse. Just put new calipers on the front of mine yesterday and all new rubber lines. What a difference it made, no more pull to the left when braking. Sure I had a collapsed line.
MDSWA likes this.

73 K4CTD
2018 2500 QC SB Laramie - stock for now
2005 2500 QC SB, Rebuilt at 330K miles, Sold

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Another thing I forgot to add was I flushed rear pass brake line until clean fluid was seen. Also all 4 pads and rotors were changed 2 years ago and truck has only gotten driven 10k since

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Okay, I checked a few things out after work today. First I tried the Booster Function test.. The pedal was held down and truck was started and the pedal jumped back towards me. Next I tried the accumulator leakdown test. I held the pedal down and attempted to turn my wheel and it acted like the power steering was non extistent. Next I tried removing the 40amp Power Steering Pump fuse and took the truck for drive. The truck seemed to stop a lot better and even locked the tires up a bit. When I re-inserted the fuse, the truck acted like did not want to stop again, pedal was hard and I smelled the brakes once again.

Last year I replaced the passenger side speed sensor. I had the yellow and red lights in the dash. Mechanic hooked up to his machine and told me to take it for a spin. Right side stayed at 0 and left side increased with speed. Both front hubs were changed roughly 40-50k ago.

I talked to mechanic here at work this morning. He suggested removing the power steering belt and see if my steering is hard. He thinks the power steering pump may have failed.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:46 PM

Hey Matt did you ever find out what was wrong? My truck is doing the same thing.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Diesel Freak

Unfortunately I haven’t done anything to figure it out. I was actually talking to a mechanic about the issue just earlier today. When it cools down around here I’m probably going to replace the pump, tensioner and belt. Let me know if you figure anything out as well please.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post
Okay, I checked a few things out after work today. First I tried the Booster Function test.. The pedal was held down and truck was started and the pedal jumped back towards me. Next I tried the accumulator leakdown test. I held the pedal down and attempted to turn my wheel and it acted like the power steering was non extistent. Next I tried removing the 40amp Power Steering Pump fuse and took the truck for drive. The truck seemed to stop a lot better and even locked the tires up a bit. When I re-inserted the fuse, the truck acted like did not want to stop again, pedal was hard and I smelled the brakes once again.

Last year I replaced the passenger side speed sensor. I had the yellow and red lights in the dash. Mechanic hooked up to his machine and told me to take it for a spin. Right side stayed at 0 and left side increased with speed. Both front hubs were changed roughly 40-50k ago.

I talked to mechanic here at work this morning. He suggested removing the power steering belt and see if my steering is hard. He thinks the power steering pump may have failed.
The mechanic at work is someone you shouldn't get advice from anymore.....there is no power steering belt per-se and hasn't been on any vehicle I know if for 25? years. It's 1 serpentine belt that runs everything, including the waterpump. This "mechanic" wouldn't happen to be about 85 years old would he, lol?

You mean you removed the ABS fuse, correct? If brakes worked better, it points to a bad ABS pump I believe. Never had that problem personally though.
Another common condition on older vehicles is the high pressure hydro boost lines come apart inside which can have the same symptoms. Reduced brake "boost" and not sure it would apply the brakes (smelly brakes you said), but a stuck caliper or collapsed brake hose could.
I'd hone in on hte ABS system as that change is what caused a change in behavior.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:56 PM

Yes im leaning towards the abs cause i undid the fuse and it works better. The issue arrised when i had my truck break down in a snow storm at (10°) cause it gelled up im guessing. Only pulled it 1 block to a parking lot because of a tow ban. Since i got it back it was stiff like no power brakes. My power steering pump went out like 5 years ago. Luckily it was in winter when i needed 4x4 and had to drive 500 miles lol. But im bringing it to my mechanic next week to have him look into it. I.mentioned the symptoms but he couldnt give me a quick answer until he looks at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode