Need help ASAP With trans heat exchanger - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Need help ASAP With trans heat exchanger

Today we replaced the return line on my trans. We took everything off. Well the heat exchanger fitting threads when taking the one line off well. They didnt want to stay so Now I got a small leak.. How dose this fitting come out or Should I just bypass the heat exchanger with a trans rubber line and order up myself a good aftermarket cooler??

2006 5.9 3500 SRW SB Banks intake [email protected] RAM AFE Exhaust manifold MBRP Cat back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,265 Posts
The fitting doesn't come out of the heat exchanger. You eithe rhave the flare misaligned when you tightened it or there is a mich or crack in it. You migh try loosening the nut and reseting the end and retighten making SURE you have a back up wrench on the heat exchanger side.

You can probably have a good rubber line built with new fittings at hose shop. Most places can make you lines with JIC fittings on them.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

The issue is the heater threads are no good. Otherwise Id take it back off in a heart bead. Im Going to bypass it tomorrow. Not worth loosing the trans if it cracks and trans fluid mixs.

2006 5.9 3500 SRW SB Banks intake [email protected] RAM AFE Exhaust manifold MBRP Cat back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 01:01 AM
Diesel Head

Nope, it is history then if the threads are bad. If you are not running in the colder climates bypassing it is definitely an option. A thermo controlled aux cooler with a fan under the bed will help after bypass.

05 QC LWB 4x4 Auto 3.73 LSD, IssproEV2's, Performance 48RE Opie TransGo , Smarty Tuned BBI Injected
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

It should be warm here soon I hope. Lately its been 30-45. Ill bypass it for now and order up a external cooler to run into
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 10:38 AM
Diesel Head

You could always try brazing it or soldering it temporarily till it's replaced. Some would make that a permanent repair, but I wouldn't.

04.5 Silver 3500 Quad Cab, Long Bed, Dually, 4X4, NV 5600, Intake Horn, Bully Dog Triple Dog, High Idle, FASS 150/150And A MANIAC Behind The Wheel!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Now should I bypass it completely with an aftermarket cooler or Should I order a new one. seems to be about 800$ and no one makes it on the aftermarket side. So I guess dealer only

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 11:18 PM
Diesel Head

Yes, they are delaer only for those. TC Diesel thought he had a source for one that was somewhat cheaper. Might check with him. Aftermarket cooler is going to be cheaper, just not as effective.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode