Rear main question - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rear main question

How deeply should the rear main seal be set into the seal carrier. I know that there is an installation tool that comes with the fel pro gasket. The one that I took out was about the depth of the bevel, maybe about 1/8th inch. If I use the install tool with the high side out it wont even set the seal flush. If I use the tool with the high side in it sets the seal about 1/4 inch and the instructions say if the crank is grooved to set the seal about 1/8th inch deeper. so my question is where does the thing belong. thnx.

06 Ram 3500 4x4 6 spd AFE CAI, EDGE Juice w/ Attitude CTS 31104, 305 / 55 / 20, No Lift, Phoenix stage 4 sd clutch, Road Armor bumper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Diesel Head

I just kept testing the depth, did you remove just the seal ? or the whole seal housing ?

06 Auto single cab long bed stockish
08 G56A Maga cab- Deleted/Anarchy reverse leveled
12 68RFE Mega cab- Deleted/smarty jr.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

just the seal

just the seal. I suppose it would help if I knew which side of the installation tool to use.

06 Ram 3500 4x4 6 spd AFE CAI, EDGE Juice w/ Attitude CTS 31104, 305 / 55 / 20, No Lift, Phoenix stage 4 sd clutch, Road Armor bumper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Diesel Head

If your not to deep into it yet , I would pull the whole seal housing out , it's the 8 bolts that hold the seal in , and replace it that way , then when you think you have the right depth you can fit it up and check the wear marks from the old seal !

Texting and driving ? Please officer cummins forum and driving ! ......... Have a nice day !

06 Auto single cab long bed stockish
08 G56A Maga cab- Deleted/Anarchy reverse leveled
12 68RFE Mega cab- Deleted/smarty jr.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Go to Advance Auto and buy their kit its $20 and comes with the installation tool.

2004.5 3500 SRW, NV5600, 5in Turbo-back MBRP, Silencer ring removed, S&B Intake, BD Exhaust Manifold, AFE Intake Manifold, Airdog II 165, 2" Thuren Coils, Smarty S06 POD, South Bend DD 3250, Edge Insight CTS, Bilstein 5100s
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Diesel Head

I always set my seals to stick a tiny bit over the crank. Then when I install the flywheel or flexplate let it push it flush. I bite my self in the arse one day when working on a international with a dt, push the seal in a little to far and a month later it needed a intranet I couldn't get the number 7 main bearing out due to the seal being in to far.

04.5 Silver 3500 Quad Cab, Long Bed, Dually, 4X4, NV 5600, Intake Horn, Bully Dog Triple Dog, High Idle, FASS 150/150And A MANIAC Behind The Wheel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode