Clutch time! I decided to go with the Southbend 3600-GK, as I'm aiming for ~500hp. I do plan on going with an aftermarket turbo at some point, and possibly some nozzles. Doing that will easily bring me up into the ~600hp range, so this clutch is perfect.
From what I understand, Southbend has done quite a bit of work getting this to be a durable clutch, with stock-like engagement and pedal movement. I'm not really too concerned about the extra noise, simply because I know that the POS dual-mass flywheel is gone, and no longer a ticking time bomb ready to chop off my legs!
Anyhow, the installation begins:
I got the truck up as high as possible. Having access to a fully equipped HD shop is pretty nice! 12 ton jacks allowed me to lift the axles up 28" from the ground, giving me ~33" from the ground to the doors. It proved to be plenty of room to slide the transmission out while on top of my massive trans-jack.
After messing around with a seized bolt on the front driveshaft for an hour, I ended up welding a nut onto it and was able to pull it out. A trip to the stealership for a $13.00 bolt and we were back on our way.
An hour wasted trying to get the bolt out with everything under the sun. Luckily, everything else went smoothly, and we were able to get the trans dropped with no hiccups.
After the trans was dropped, we realized the rear main had
to be replaced. I was hoping that it was still intact, as I was hoping to skip the hassle of getting a new one in properly. At 3:15pm, I hauled over to the Cummins Dealership to pick up parts. Made it there at 3:50pm... I'm glad the staff there is very friendly and helpful, they had no problem staying an extra few minutes for me.
Pulled the old seal then got everything cleaned up in there, inspected the flywheel flange and found no damage. No need to sleeve! Woohoo! Drove in the new seal, then started on the flywheel.
It's nice to see a shiney, single piece flywheel in there! No more dual-mass BS!
I cleaned up the bellhousing and input shaft as best as I could. Holy crap was it dirty! Clutch dust, dirt, mud and PEBBLES! I was not pleased to find a bunch of pebbles in there, but I guess that's what happens when the roads are covered in salt/sand for 50% of the year. I used 4 bottles of brake cleaner and some elbow grease to get it that clean.
That's about as far as we got tonight, we'll (hopefully) be finishing up the rest tomorrow morning and have her rolling again.