DDP & BBI Injector Lessons (warning graphic) - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Always Learning

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
DDP & BBI Injector Lessons (warning graphic)

This post is a series of events that happened after installing DDP 120hp injectors. The events are true and documented.
I purchased a 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4wd (5.9 Cummins) brand new in 2005. I intended to keep this pickup for many years. I serviced it regularly and changed the oil every 5k miles. It had 98k miles on the odometer and experienced no real issues to date when I decided to make modifications for more horsepower.

Long before the time came to install bigger injectors I heard about Big Bang Injection (BBI) and that they were able to match the flow rates of each injector to near exact measurements. Unfortunately time passed and when the time came to buy injectors I had a diesel shop owner tell me to buy Dynomite Diesel Performance (DDP) injectors that they also matched flow rates and made it sound like that was a common practice by every aftermarket injector manufacturer. What I didn't know is the acceptable tolerances of what is considered matched varies greatly as you will soon read. I am only speaking to my experience between DDP and BBI's injectors. See the attached pictures for flow rate comparisons.

March 2018 My story began shortly after installing brand new DDP 120hp injectors.

May 2018 Driving home from Seattle I heard what sounded like severe timing detonation in a gas engine that continued to get louder, behind us a trail of white smoke from my exhaust. By the time I got off the freeway the engine would barely idle and there was such a
loud knock I thought I threw a rod. After a 2.5 hour wait for AAA and another 3.5 hours in the tow truck we got home. The next day I called DDP and to my disappointment without asking a single qualifying question to help diagnose the problem I was told "the problem was likely caused by installer error and or fuel contamination" as stated below in their written warranty.
"This limited warranty covers no more than one (1) injector. Statistics show that one injector failure is possible, but more than one would be caused by poor installation or contamination which is not covered by DDP."most likely installer error and/or fuel contamination and I would be charged time and materials." I've never read such an arrogant warranty statement. DDP required a shop diagnosis to confirm an injector problem had occurred before they would agree to look at them.
The shop confirmed 2 injectors were bad. They reinstalled my stock injectors. DDP acknowledged they failed to properly torque the nuts that secure the nozzles to the injector bodies of #1 and #2 injectors causing a fuel leak between the injector body and the nozzles.

October 2018
As wierd as it sounds returning from another Seattle trip I had a repeat of my last trip. Same symptoms, same long wait for AAA and a long ride home in a tow truck. I swapped my stock injectors myself and shipped off DDP's injectors. The only explanation given was an "issue" with injector #4 nozzle. They installed a complete set of nozzles.
November 2018
Less than one month later driving to a Dr's. appointment I heard what sounded like a champagne bottle pop from under the hood. Pulled over to find oil sprayed all over the left side of the engine compartment. My engine now had a severe miss. A compression test showed #4 cylinder had 100psi. Once the head was removed #4 piston had melted away from the rings and #3 piston slightly less. What exactly caused this catastrophic event? I'll never know. I bought this pickup brand new. Drove it 100k miles without any issues. My egt's were always in check. I don't drive hard, and I don't tow heavy. I never thought so much could go wrong in 8 short months.
April 2019 Rebuild complete
Finally my engine rebuild is finished. For added insurance against melted pistons I installed Mahle Monotherm steel pistons. DDP found nothing new wrong with the injectors but there was still a miss at idle and heavy surging at hwy speeds, excessively loud injector rattle. It sounded loud eerily close to what a bad injector sounds like. For peace of mind I reinstalled my stock injectors the miss dissapeared, no loud rattles, no more surging.
Big Bang Injection /The Solution
DDP's injectors have been at the center of every problem I've had with my engine to date. The money spent on DDP injectors was added to the losses column. Still needing a solution I reached out to BBI and spoke with Martin Schoppl. The most cost effective solution was to rebuild DDP's injectors to BBI's stage 1.5 injector specs. I shipped off my injectors to BBI in Austria and they had them back to me in about 10 days along with graphs showing the fuel flow rates of each injector before and after they were rebuilt. I installed them as soon as I could and what a difference they made. Smooth quiet acceleration with no injector rattle! All I hear now is my compounds spooling. My rail pressure has never been so consistent. At idle there is little to no variation and at hwy speeds the pressure varies to how my right foot varies. My engine starts with a bump of the key. I've tried almost every power configuration on my Smarty Touch and have the tuning dialed in. The missing components all along was having a solid set of injectors!!
Injector flow rates before
The fuel flow rate graphs tell the story. Notice the graph before the injectors were rebuilt. The gaps in the flow rates at lower rail pressure cause smoke, hard starts, misses at idle and loud pinging while accelerating from a stop. The same spreads at higher rail pressure explain why the pinging continued beyond acceleration at consistent highway speeds.
Injector flow rates after
The even flow rates after they were rebuilt removed all of the above symptoms and resulted in smooth acceleration, consistent rail pressures, no pinging, and excellent driveability as described.
Thank you Big Bang Injection !!
I learned many injector lessons over the course of a year. I now have a huge respect for the role of injectors and those that can build them correctly. I hope the reader gleans something from my experience.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

2006 3500 SLT SRW 4WD QC LB, Billet 48re, 363/480 comps, BD12mm Cp3, +43% BBI's, Airdog165gph, Hamltn188/220, HD p-rods, Remote oil bp, 5" T-back, PacBrk, Smarty touch
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scooters468 For This Useful Post:
Bk1911 (02-01-2020), Jaysz28 (01-24-2020), Martin_BBI (01-30-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:36 PM
Mike @ Dude's Diesel Performance

Long read but worth it! Thanks for the review. BBIs are a great product with great people!

2013 Ram 2500
John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email me at:
[email protected]
The Following User Says Thank You to TexNeck For This Useful Post:
scooters468 (01-24-2020)
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:40 PM
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Your review is greatly appreciated my friend. Martin from BBI has become family to us and he shares a ton of knowledge with us every chance he gets. It is sad that you had to go everything that you did in order to obtain your original goal but i am super excited that you were able to experience BBI's knowledge and experience that they bring to the industry.

They are not well known yet but that is quickly changing! They are our number one selling injector to date. We are so glad that you were able to get a feel for what their injectors can do!
scooters468 likes this.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20

See what we are up to on:
FACEBOOK
INSTAGRAM
Or Email us at:
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Always Learning

Thumbs up Thank you for your feedback.

I appreciate your comments. This is my first post and am just learning how to navigate the sight. BBI has provided absolute 5 star service since day one. 2020 hindsight and all that.

2006 3500 SLT SRW 4WD QC LB, Billet 48re, 363/480 comps, BD12mm Cp3, +43% BBI's, Airdog165gph, Hamltn188/220, HD p-rods, Remote oil bp, 5" T-back, PacBrk, Smarty touch
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 12:28 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Thanks for your detailed post.
BBI have come to be in the last few years (from reading) THE go-to when you need new injectors (and now rebuilt!) It was a big no-no for a long time to go the rebuilt route for various reasons listed. BBI has seemed to squash that paradigm. I'm not replacing injectors at the moment, but when I do they will most certainly have my business.

You never mentioned, are you running the truck with added fuel filtration? If so you're good, if not, install ASAP. It's a must for these injectors to perform and last.
scooters468 and Fanman43 like this.

2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4.Exhaust,Isspro EV2 gauges,SB DD3250-6,intake, Pac Brake, BD 2-piece manifold,leveled,custom front/rear bumpers,Smarty S06 POD,Chevy tow mirror conversion, projector retrofit w/ switchback turns, SRT-10 Hurst shifter,BD short shifter kit,Filters
The Following User Says Thank You to krashDH For This Useful Post:
scooters468 (01-24-2020)
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashDH View Post
Thanks for your detailed post.
BBI have come to be in the last few years (from reading) THE go-to when you need new injectors (and now rebuilt!) It was a big no-no for a long time to go the rebuilt route for various reasons listed. BBI has seemed to squash that paradigm. I'm not replacing injectors at the moment, but when I do they will most certainly have my business.

You never mentioned, are you running the truck with added fuel filtration? If so you're good, if not, install ASAP. It's a must for these injectors to perform and last.
I have an airdog 2 165gph which I believe is a 2 micron fuel filter. Is there more filtration available?
Thanks

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 12:51 PM
Diesel Head

Then either use Cat 416- 1225 UHE Not AHE or Donaldson DBF 5814 or 5817 Now days nothing is rated less than 4 micron but these are 99.9% Absolute. These are Cats and Donaldson Best and with the New testing there are No 2 micron filters. So when you read that it is old marketing based on old testing.

https://www.glacierdieselpower.com/i...f=category:109

https://dieselfuelfilterkits.com/03_...ilter_kit.html

DBF5814
FUEL FILTER, SPIN-ON SECONDARY
DONALDSON BLUE
Attributes
Outer Diameter 3.66 inch (93 mm)
Thread Size 1-14
Length 6.85 inch (174 mm)
Gasket OD 2.83 inch (72 mm)
Gasket ID 2.44 inch (62 mm)
Efficiency 99.9% 4 micron
Efficiency Test Std ISO 19438
Type Secondary
Style Spin-On
Brand Donaldson BLUEŽ
Media Brand Synteq XP™
Primary Application CATERPILLAR ENGINES
Attached Images

tryNto and rghavana like this.

2006 Blue Laramie DRW. 3500 5.9 G56 Mobil Delvac 50, Tans Cool PTO Covers, GDP Fuel Boss, GDP Double-X Ladder Bars, GPD big line kit, GDP MK-2 Fuel filter kit with CAT UHE 416 1225, GDP Power-Flo Intake Manifold, Throttle Up Industries Dual Fuel Filters, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cool Hose, Timbrens, 26k with Horses in Trailer, ................... BBi's .5 Towing Injectors WOW!
Carli Ball Joints

Last edited by utahtrapper; 01-24-2020 at 03:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to utahtrapper For This Useful Post:
scooters468 (01-24-2020), tryNto (01-24-2020)
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 12:53 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooters468 View Post
I have an airdog 2 165gph which I believe is a 2 micron fuel filter. Is there more filtration available?
Thanks
Nope you should be good to go with that, is yours a dual? I'm running a 15 mic water/fuel followed by a 2 mic absolute. I'm just running the in-tank pump and will be until it dies, then it's the GDP Fuel Boss for me.

2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4.Exhaust,Isspro EV2 gauges,SB DD3250-6,intake, Pac Brake, BD 2-piece manifold,leveled,custom front/rear bumpers,Smarty S06 POD,Chevy tow mirror conversion, projector retrofit w/ switchback turns, SRT-10 Hurst shifter,BD short shifter kit,Filters
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 02:05 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Clayton has been nothing but quick & transparent when I've texted with him.

Took you a few years to navigate the site & post, didn't it.

Welcome back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooters468 View Post
I appreciate your comments. This is my first post and am just learning how to navigate the sight. BBI has provided absolute 5 star service since day one. 2020 hindsight and all that.

R12 in the summer, Webasto in the winter; cassette tapes & SAE-20078 all year.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 02:21 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashDH View Post
Nope you should be good to go with that, is yours a dual? I'm running a 15 mic water/fuel followed by a 2 mic absolute. I'm just running the in-tank pump and will be until it dies, then it's the GDP Fuel Boss for me.
I went with the GDP Fuel Boss 3 years ago and one of the best upgrades ever!
rghavana and scooters468 like this.

2006 Blue Laramie DRW. 3500 5.9 G56 Mobil Delvac 50, Tans Cool PTO Covers, GDP Fuel Boss, GDP Double-X Ladder Bars, GPD big line kit, GDP MK-2 Fuel filter kit with CAT UHE 416 1225, GDP Power-Flo Intake Manifold, Throttle Up Industries Dual Fuel Filters, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cool Hose, Timbrens, 26k with Horses in Trailer, ................... BBi's .5 Towing Injectors WOW!
Carli Ball Joints
The Following User Says Thank You to utahtrapper For This Useful Post:
05CumminsCoal (01-31-2020)
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Always Learning

Yes, water separator and filter

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas.5z View Post
Clayton has been nothing but quick & transparent when I've texted with him.

Took you a few years to navigate the site & post, didn't it.

Welcome back.
Yes it did! Lol...I think I accidentally reposted my review several times? Takes a bit to figure things out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode