Don't you love finding a billion issues AFTER you buy the truck? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Don't you love finding a billion issues AFTER you buy the truck?

Hey guys. Just bought my 06 2500 Mega Cab 6sp about a month ago. I've posted about it twice already, but I can tell I will be doing a ton to this thing. Most likely I'll need all the help I can get. Rather than post a bunch of individual threads I will have all my progress and questions here. It is honestly a great truck with a ton of aftermarket sexiness, but it kinda seems like somebody forgot to do some basic maintenance...for the last 10 years!

Here's what I've done so far:
Stock track bar was trashed. Put in a Thuren adjustable. Still have loose steering and quite a bit of wander but its much better.

Upper driver ball joint was trashed. Replaced with Moog adjustable. Hopefully a temporary fix as I would like to go to EMF ball joints soon.

Driver hub assembly had play so on to rockauto to score an SKF unit which is OEM if I'm not mistaken.

Drag link was done so on to Moog for that too. My crystal ball shows me Synergy linkage in my future.

I went to Fort Benning, GA to my little brother's Airborne graduation and destroyed the driver U joint. Luckily there is an AMAZING shop you can rent a lift stall and any tool you can think of. No tools of my own, I was able to get a lift and tools for a few hours for less than 15 bucks!

Next on the to-do list is two tires as the front ones look like garbage. After that I'll be tackling my fuel leak. Then I'd like to do ball joints, U joints, and replace the passenger hub. Hopefully, if I'm not completely broke after the front end, I can then start to replace this garbage Rough Country setup piece by piece with Carli, Thuren, and/or Pure Performance parts. So stay tuned for the ups, downs, and learning lessons of a problem riddled truck and the first time Cummins owner trying to handle it all!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	857611   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	857613  
4everlearning and 59turbo like this.

2006 2500 Mega Cab - Currently a basket case in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Ill follow along and offer help where I can.

2005 QCSB, cold air intake, guages, a trans built by me and HPTuners tunes by me
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:47 PM
Cummins Nut

Always good to know what you have. Sometimes that means replacing a lot lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Went down this same path with my 06 Megacab, all stock when I bought it. Im debating my purchase but will keep it another 150-200k to get my moneys worth back out. Only saving grace at this point is I paid only 16500 for it going in as I knew typical parts needed, and I enjoy wrenching and learning about this engine which is simple minus the electronic gizmos. Over again Id probably bought 4th gen because after all I have done Id still have better, newer everything else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 Mega, BD Billet Trans, SFIFlexplate, TripleDisc and Intercooler, 62/68,CTS2, EFI, BBI .5s, Hellwig, Fox 2.0 Adj, Fleece CP3, Beans, FASS95, Thuren Control, Trackbar + XS Coils, Dynatrac FS+BJs, 09steering, Toyo RT's, SOTA rims, CE batt cables, Fluidampr...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:16 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I sold my 08 quad cab and bought an 06 Megacab back in Feb of this year. I knew it had some issues but also had a lot of good things going for it too. The biggest thing that I didn't anticipate was the damn wiring nightmare that the previous owner created. Holy crap i've never see so many wire taps in my life. I'm really shocked the TIPM didn't melt down with the amount of crap he did. Small projects like changing headlights and bulbs turned into multiday projects once I pulled them out and saw the mess back there.

2006 Dodge 2500 Megacab - 5" exhaust, S&B intake, EFI live, 5" lift, 17" Raceline Clutch wheels, 37x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah I know what you mean with the wiring! My low beams were out when I got it. Looked into and found some rat's nest of a wiring job attempting to put in controllers for HIDs. One housing had an HID bulb but the other had an LED! What the heck?! So I changed the housings and went back to halogens for now. I had to have my TIPM reset by the dealer. I hate that thing.

Anyhow, today I got one of my two tires. FedEx messed up and sent one to Georgia so I have to wait until tomorrow. Either way I really like the way these things look! Nitto Exo Grapplers in 37x13.50. Once I get the other one I'll be going to get them mounted and a front end alignment. Also ordered a bunch of fittings and a Fleece fuel distribution block to help make this leak disappear. That's a dime in the picture. Only change I had.

On a side note, does anyone know if traction bars make noise going down the road and over bumps? Like some creaking and stuff during acceleration, over bumps, hitting the brakes, and so on. I have some suspension noise I'm trying to diagnose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	857653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	857655  

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:36 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Traction bars do, at least mine do and they are six months old. I hear them over bumps and taking turns. It happens because mine are pre-tensioned when I installed them at static stance. Anything out of ordinary and they tap, at the least, against the leaf spring pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 Mega, BD Billet Trans, SFIFlexplate, TripleDisc and Intercooler, 62/68,CTS2, EFI, BBI .5s, Hellwig, Fox 2.0 Adj, Fleece CP3, Beans, FASS95, Thuren Control, Trackbar + XS Coils, Dynatrac FS+BJs, 09steering, Toyo RT's, SOTA rims, CE batt cables, Fluidampr...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Awesome thanks for that. I get a creak with slow speed articulation. Thinking I may need to throw a little lube on the heims and see if that helps.

Got some goodies today. I’ll post some pics tonight or tomorrow. I’ll have all the parts for the fuel block by Tuesday hopefully so I can start writing up my adventure with that.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here’s the hose fittings I have so far:
1 45 degree 1/2 inch for feed line from lift pump to fuel block
2 90 degree 1/2 inch for feed lines from fuel block to CP3s
2 straight 1/2 inch for feed lines at CP3s
2 -8an to 12mm x 1.5 adapters to hook up the feed lines
2 -6an to 12mm adapters for wherever I’ll need them in the return lines. Need to make sure I have a rail plug. If I do I’ll re do those lines and make it a bunch cleaner.
Also got two high flow banjo bolts, 1 for the back of the cylinder head and 1 for that line where it meets up with the fuel block.

I still need to find:
3/8 inch hose ends (straight and 90) for the return lines and the fuel block (On the way already).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12DDD10F-B288-4969-A477-1B45F1597A47_1570235958280.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	857739  

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:12 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
sorry about the bad luck...its a known thing that these trucks wander...however. here are some thoughts, as i have been driving my truck a lot for work

Get the thuren king stabilizer it works wonders. also your track bar being that roached out im sure the hole is wallowed out in the frame... this will eat that new bushing on the frameside fast so you might need to weld a washer on each side of the frame bracket or you will need to weld and redrill holes. problem with welding the washer on is it will probably be to thick to use the stock bolt which is strong.

I have a 3 inch thuren spring and his control arms and 315 70/17s with the stock rims on my truck and i have the track bar adjusted as far in as it would go. as in no threads on the heim joint showing. seems to do best there.

I have a red head steering box helped quite a bit with wander and play... old box wasnt bad at 120 k just was throwing parts at it to get the wander fixed. but the red head seems better overall then the stocker.

this was the big kicker for me...after i installed the thuren stabilizer it seemed worse at first but...my steering wheel wasnt straight. so after adjusting the drag link (upgraded steering linkage 08 and newer). it was way better. it was almost like it was loading the box or maybe i was too stiff on the steering wheel with it being a little ed and causing wander. regardless after i got the wheel straight way betterind

The only thing i might change is i might put the new steering from synergy on my truck. the only thing i dont like is where the drag link adjustment is...you would have to pull tie rod off and turn it instead of the pinch bolt. but it looks beefier.

I also have moog ball joints no play in them after 70 k miles... are they garbage...i would say yes as it made my truck steering wheel return harder you will need to order the new ball joints that have the bigger diameter cuz the moogs will wallow out the knuckles.

good luck

03 qcsb black 4x4 Calibrated Power thuren bd r850 48re 10.2 stroker pump, bbi stage 2s studs springs pushrods fully ported head banks side draft bd ex manifold intercooler fuel boss 2mic ham cam 188/220 flexalite
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the tips! I was lucky with the track bar bolt holes as they were still circles. But the drop bracket was the tiniest bit loose. I got my steering aligned and wheel straight and that tightened the steering up quite a bit. I can see my play is in the box. I watch the shaft turn a bunch before the pitman arm moved. I made sure to get the smooth body Moog so it didn’t wallow out the hole at all. I do want to ditch this rough country dual stabilizer setup for a Thuren or Carli single.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok quick question. For the return line, it exits the filter (in my case filter delete) and quick connects to rubber then goes back to a metal line at the frame. There isn’t a clamp on the end by the frame. Can I replace that whole line with rubber or should I just clamp it? I’m leaking a significant amount of fuel from somewhere and there’s a bunch of wet spots from the track bar to the engine mount to the driver side control arms. It’s killing me trying to track this down while I’m waiting on my fuel block and last couple fittings I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode