Sxe - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lmatt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Sxe

I used to hotshot and I spent a fair amount of money on a couple of 06’s back in the day. But things change and now I’m working with an 03 555. With the 06 I ran the stock turbo boost fooled of course. Then tried a HTT 62/65/13ss. While trying to figure out the slow spool I ordered a 12 cast iron exhaust housing. So I ran it both ways. Later I decided to try a SD 2nd gen mani with one of their 63/68/14’s(not sure what ar I got. It’s been over around 10 years ago and my memory is fading). I remember liking the E.D. setup the best. My 03 is currently bone stock. Well It has an intake and a 4” exhaust. This thing is embarrassing underpowered as anyone that has been around a modded common rail knows. I’m looking to fix that and want to know how much better these SXE turbos are. I’m trying to decide if I should stay cheap and get a smarty touch and maybe grab a 351, or step up the fun level a bit and get one of the newer SXE turbos with the help of HP Tuners. So would a 364 spool like my old 63 only have more top end? Would a 62 match my old 63 on top with better spool? Can anyone tell me just how much better these things are?

sid325 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Id start off with custom tuning before any bolt on part. Get the tuning, see how you like it and then move onto bolt on parts if you're still looking for more.

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:33 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
I agree with grunt. Tuning then go from there. If your transmission isnt done then do that first cause you can toast that on stock fuel and air easily. The sxe line are nice for the money. Better wheel than a cast borg and they usually flow more air and make more power than a similar specd turbo.

2012 2500 QCSB/Built 6.8L/48RE Swap/Gated Shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:35 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Need to have some sort of a idea on what you want out of the truck before you can decide what turbo you want.

06 4dr,dynamic stg 4,64.5/73/.91,steed speed,anarchy EFi,fleece dual cp3ís,Fleece bypass,Fass 165,ARP 425ís,Manton springs/pushrods,pac brake,6" Carli,long arms, king 2.5's,WFO traction bars,35ís
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Truth be told I’d probably be happy with just programming. I was focused on longevity and mileage with both of my 06’s. I tried the turbos I mentioned plus different tuning including efi live. I had different levels of injectors, dual cp3 kit, intake, head work, etc. there was very little benefit to be had after tuning. The dollar per usable horsepower ratio gets out of wack after tuning. I use to leave my cruise on in 6th when pulling my empty trailer (it weighed around 8,000 lbs.) up 6 - 7% grades. I recently pulled my in-laws bumper pull travel trailer which probably only weighed around 6,000 lbs and had to use 4th. I heard a 341 would be about 50 hp less than a 351. So I assumed I would be disappointed. I guess I should throw some fuel at it and see where I land.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmatt View Post
Truth be told Iíd probably be happy with just programming. I was focused on longevity and mileage with both of my 06ís. I tried the turbos I mentioned plus different tuning including efi live. I had different levels of injectors, dual cp3 kit, intake, head work, etc. there was very little benefit to be had after tuning. The dollar per usable horsepower ratio gets out of wack after tuning. I use to leave my cruise on in 6th when pulling my empty trailer (it weighed around 8,000 lbs.) up 6 - 7% grades. I recently pulled my in-laws bumper pull travel trailer which probably only weighed around 6,000 lbs and had to use 4th. I heard a 341 would be about 50 hp less than a 351. So I assumed I would be disappointed. I guess I should throw some fuel at it and see where I land.
In that case like mentioned start with tuning, but yes that 341 is a choked up turbo.

06 4dr,dynamic stg 4,64.5/73/.91,steed speed,anarchy EFi,fleece dual cp3ís,Fleece bypass,Fass 165,ARP 425ís,Manton springs/pushrods,pac brake,6" Carli,long arms, king 2.5's,WFO traction bars,35ís
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

In that case like mentioned start with tuning, but yes that 341 is a choked up turbo.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it’s a waste, but I was thinking about trying the HPTuners route. Even though I wasn’t all that impressed with EFI Live on my 06. So my thinking was that I should get a turbo before tuning. I’m fairly handy, but I never got that deep into tuning because I struggled to even figure out how to data log. I got it when it was first released and had to fix the tunes I was sent because of a dead spot. It was like I had an old gasser with a poorly tuned 4 barrel that would fall on its face for a split second when the 4 barrel opened up. I did a lot of comparing tunes and trial and error. I ended up just cleaning up a tnt tune that I had when I purchased EFI Live. I’m getting old and lazy and just want to pay for something that works now. I rarely even drive the pickup. So I should probably just lower my standards.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 03:59 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Sounds like you had bad tunes or an issue with your engine. HPT is a good option as long as you use a reputable tuner.

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Supporting Vendor

Garage
Definitely start with a tuner of some sort and see if you would like more after that. 62/68/14SXE is a great turbo on the CR trucks with tuning. Let us know when you do it and what your thoughts are.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Truth be told I’d probably be happy with just programming. I was focused on longevity and mileage with both of my 06’s. I tried the turbos I mentioned plus different tuning including efi live. I had different levels of injectors, dual cp3 kit, intake, head work, etc. there was very little benefit to be had after tuning. The dollar per usable horsepower ratio gets out of wack after tuning. I use to leave my cruise on in 6th when pulling my empty trailer (it weighed around 8,000 lbs.) up 6 - 7% grades. I recently pulled my in-laws bumper pull travel trailer which probably only weighed around 6,000 lbs and had to use 4th. I heard a 341 would be about 50 hp less than a 351. So I assumed I would be disappointed. I guess I should throw some fuel at it and see where I land.

Geezzz... Your 03 must really be a dog. I have a bone stock early 04 305/555 6 speed truck. It just plays with my gooseneck trailer, loaded. I can set my cruise loaded and maintain 70mph easily. Yes in similar grades. I just got this truck tho. Dealer told me it was a 325/600, but valve cover says 305/555. There is a "dealer modification" decal on core support ( but I can't read the writing on it) Maybe they put the 325/600 program in it ?

What gear is in your 03 ? This 04 is 410s

2004 Dodge 3500
Drw, 5.9 HO 6 spd 4x4
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:49 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
In that case like mentioned start with tuning, but yes that 341 is a choked up turbo.
Maybe itís a waste, but I was thinking about trying the HPTuners route. Even though I wasnít all that impressed with EFI Live on my 06. So my thinking was that I should get a turbo before tuning. Iím fairly handy, but I never got that deep into tuning because I struggled to even figure out how to data log. I got it when it was first released and had to fix the tunes I was sent because of a dead spot. It was like I had an old gasser with a poorly tuned 4 barrel that would fall on its face for a split second when the 4 barrel opened up. I did a lot of comparing tunes and trial and error. I ended up just cleaning up a tnt tune that I had when I purchased EFI Live. Iím getting old and lazy and just want to pay for something that works now. I rarely even drive the pickup. So I should probably just lower my standards.[/QUOTE]

Tunes are only as good as the tuner.. sounds like your tuner wasnít up to par brotha. I good clean tune is gonna be the most beneficial thing you can do to these trucks..

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:31 PM
BFD
Diesel Freak

My 03 HO 6spd 4.10 w/4" exh. was sick til I got rid of the 341. Just doing that make it a totally better truck. The 341 is the worst thing that happened to the 03-04s. I ran a Diablo Predator stack and ATS 2000 turbo for 5 years and it Did very good, towing and DD. Then I went to a TST PMCR and that ats turbo only maDe it 1/4 of a mile when I turned up the power! I needed a turbo quick and II built me a 62/65/14 in one day. II is expensive but I was stuck and that turbo was excellent. That 03 had no trouble towing with the new trucks. Size the turbo right and wastegate is not necessary and saves money. KT Performance had a great price on a 2 piece manifold, which lowered egt about 100*.
I have the Iron Horn 363/80/91 on my 12 and I love it. I don't know which sxe would be good for a 5.9 but FWIW I love 14 turbines! Not too big for a DD and big enough to keep egt down. Craig

2012 CCLB 4wd dually, 3.73, 68rfe, Fass, Deleted, EFI engine/trans tuning, BD IH SXE 363/80/.91 w/ebrake, 4" turbo back/51" Quiet Tone. DD and tow vehicle.
Olde too soon... Schmart too late!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode