MM3tuning.com recommendation - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
MM3tuning.com recommendation

Hi, I just wanted to take a minute to express how happy I am with Rob at MM3tuning.com. I usually just read the forums to learn, but I just registered so I could write this post. Anyhow, I purchased my 05 a few months ago and have been getting it into shape to tow my 14k fifth wheel in the Sierras during the summer months. I wanted to keep it pretty much all stock except for air intake, and a custom tune. Well after looking at pretty much every outfit out there, I ended up purchasing Robs tune package at MM3tuning.com. All his tunes come with a trans tune included! The trans tune for the 48RE is amazing, especially for the 05 with no OD lockout button. I now have much better shift schedule, TC lock up in manual second and TC lockup in 3rd with the option to hold it there without it shifting into 4th (OD). His engine tunes are amazing as well, they are all pretty much designed for stock trucks and even has a “true 12 valve tune” which replaces the several event injection program with one big shot, this results in that awesome older 12valve sound. I can’t recommend his tunes enough especially for us 05 guys. My EGT’s, trans temps and engine temps are all way lower and no more stopping to let stuff cool off while tackling a long steep grade with 14k.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Diesel Head

Thanks for the report. I've been looking at MM3 tunes for awhile. I'm curious about mileage, smoke management, and any HP gains.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Is the trans tuning fairly new? Last i knew, there was no tuning for the 48RE.

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:40 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Yes fairly new. Within the last year... There are a lot more parameters available for the 48RE than previously thought but they aren't mapped out in any of the off the shelf tuning software I've seen.

Advertising link removed by staff
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

11B, regarding the 48RE tune, I do believe Rob is one of the only guys that has been successful at getting into the trans, he explains more about it in his videos.

MDSWA I have only made a few runs on two of the tunes but I can say it doesn’t smoke anymore than stock. I noticed a bit under power pulling, but not bad at all, I haven’t calculated mpg yet. Also MM3tuning is different than the other outfit out there with a similar name. Rob runs his own show as I understand it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:46 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT 11B View Post
Is the trans tuning fairly new? Last i knew, there was no tuning for the 48RE.
Trans tuning in the sense we are thinking is not available. What we are thinking is line pressure increase on a independent scale of TV pressure. Unfortunately, the 1960s called mopar up again in 1994 and told them that was the best way to build a VB.

However, if you are looking for absolute control BD does have their tapshift, and they will be unveiling a tuning software platform at some point for shifting AND pressure curves. So that is something in the works.

Still have to know how to build a VB to get correct line pressure increase unfortunately.

Crazy how much development is resurging for these 48s. Having the low band always engaged in first is now becoming a popular trend...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1994 Buick Roadmaster Sedan 'Betsy' LT1-4L60E, Every Option Good Old Fashioned Lead-Sled
2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie Every Option - ATS S3|FASS 150|DDP 50HP|S&B Intake|4"TBE|CTS2|EFI
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelonas View Post
Trans tuning in the sense we are thinking is not available. What we are thinking is line pressure increase on a independent scale of TV pressure. Unfortunately, the 1960s called mopar up again in 1994 and told them that was the best way to build a VB.

However, if you are looking for absolute control BD does have their tapshift, and they will be unveiling a tuning software platform at some point for shifting AND pressure curves. So that is something in the works.

Still have to know how to build a VB to get correct line pressure increase unfortunately.

Crazy how much development is resurging for these 48s. Having the low band always engaged in first is now becoming a popular trend...

Respectfully,

This is incorrect. The 48RE runs on three pressures; Line Pressure supplied by the pump, Governor pressure which is line pressure metered down by the ecm according to whatever map it's on right then, and throttle pressure which is line pressure metered by the throttle valve in direct relation to throttle position.

Altering the correct maps can give you very precise shiftpoints which is what this tuning does. As far as gear control and lockup, there isn't much you can get from the tap shifter that this tuning can't get you; and without having to change valve bodies. 2nd gear lockup? Got it. 3rd Lockup, Got it. Lockout OD, Got it. Select whatever gear you want and have it stay there, got it. Take a read on the website for more info or check out the videos.

It used to be the 48RE wasn't tunable without valve body work. That is no longer true.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:48 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Well, I guess the other side, more specifically, to that is adjusting line pressure in all its elements. So shift pressure gain, upping idle line pressure, adjusting max pressure, etc.. it's not like the 68rfe where line pressure totally standalone from anything else. Or it's not as easy at least.

From what I gather, you would have to remap all the tables and all that crap just to have a chance at it working.

From what I gather, the BD programmer and VB use VSS and TPS and other variables to set the shift pattern. That's one of those things I would like to try if I could dynamic to fix it up even more with a couple tasty mods.

1994 Buick Roadmaster Sedan 'Betsy' LT1-4L60E, Every Option Good Old Fashioned Lead-Sled
2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie Every Option - ATS S3|FASS 150|DDP 50HP|S&B Intake|4"TBE|CTS2|EFI
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelonas View Post
Well, I guess the other side, more specifically, to that is adjusting line pressure in all its elements. So shift pressure gain, upping idle line pressure, adjusting max pressure, etc.. it's not like the 68rfe where line pressure totally standalone from anything else. Or it's not as easy at least.

From what I gather, you would have to remap all the tables and all that crap just to have a chance at it working.

From what I gather, the BD programmer and VB use VSS and TPS and other variables to set the shift pattern. That's one of those things I would like to try if I could dynamic to fix it up even more with a couple tasty mods.

Yes the 68RFE just uses solenoids for each clutch pack and when the maps say "go to 2nd" or "downshift" or "Lockup the TCC" it is just electric switch valves turning on and off in the correct configuration of valves to give you the gear you want. Each one still has a map that can be adjusted though, and yes the 68RFE line pressure can be changed via tuning.

While not as elegant as the 68RFE command setup, the 48RE can get real close in tunability; like I can get it to do over 99% of what I want without messing with the valve body. I posted in another thread yesterday that I didn't like where 3rd came in, so I altered the proper map and raised it up without affecting 2nd.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
With the way that the governor circuit pressure is programmed to jump up to kind of coax each shift, it *should be* (not that I have any experience specifically) easy to just kind of move that pressure jump forward or backward to cause a change in shift behavior. Now what the table uses on the two axes to plot that jump in pressure is beyond my knowledge.

Well we have thanks to give to the 48 VB not killing any number of thousands of transmissions, unlike the 68 VB. Haha

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Indeed,

I've rebuilt a couple 48RE's and one 68RFE. The 68 was by far the most troublesome of the three, but that may have been a cursed truck issue...

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Diesel Freak

Everything Rob says about tuning the 48RE through the ECM and not having to physically mess with the VB is true. There’s only two people out there that figured out how to do this and both people have had plenty of positive comments on the 48RE tuning provided and those two people are Rob and myself. We both set up our schedules differently but neither of us has had any bad comments on the 48RE tuning we provide nor has anyone that’s gotten the 48RE tuning from either of us claim it’s BS afterwards, the tuning results hold true what we say we can get it to do. I think Rib only provides it for the UDC Pro RT tuning while I provide it for UDC Pro RT and HP Tuners and soon hopefully for EFI Live. A lot of testing and learning has gone into it to be able to do it.

'05 3500 QCLB, NV5600, MBRP Dual Exhaust, Cat Delete, CFM+, DPS Exhaust Manifold, Fuel Rail Capped, II 125HP Sticks, Smarty UDC, AutoMeter Gauges, HTT 64/65/13 over s480, FASS 95/150, Hamilton Cam Rods & Springs, bored .040" over plus extras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode