blowing out turbo coupler - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
blowing out turbo coupler

I posted about this problem a few months back, and it is still an issue.

The coupler that comes off the small turbo and links with the down tube going into the intercooler keeps blowing out. I mean a 3" hole in the side style blowout!! Last time it was on the way home and just a few miles away, so I limped it back. But this time I was 225 miles from home, but luckily 5 miles from the town we were heading. Had to get a tow for the the 5th wheel the last 5 miles, but limped the empty truck to our campsite. I next day aired a new coupler, installed it and heading on our way home. 5 miles is all this one lasted!!

It is always under heavy load, towing 14k. And it's always on a long hill at the top. I try to keep my foot regulated to 1250-1300 max egt's, and don't run over 1350.

I had a Banks intercooler, so here was my concern. While that was very sufficient when I was running a single turbo, is the compound system producing too much cfm, causing a build up of back pressure that blows the coupler on long pulls?

I had to get my wife home for work, so I had a BD Performance intercooler shipped to me and I installed it before coming home. I left my trailer at a storage facility and just got home. Obviously didn't have any problems on the way home (other than trying to keep her under 100 mph!!), she wants to run!

Any thoughts?

07 Ram 2500 5.9l 4x4-BD Super B Killer 361/475 comp turbo, BD exhaust manifold, Banks intake and exhaust, XRP head bolts, Smarty Touch w/custom tuning, BD intercooler, HD drivelines, HD discs and calipers, BD transmission, Banks torque converter, 7500 lbs air bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:36 AM
Diesel Head

What is boost when issue happens??
IIRC, 65 psi for BD kit.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a gauge that accurately measures the psi, but I believe it is somewhere around 60 psi. The boots I am using are PPE.

I wish I could upload a photo, but that doesn't seem to work. It uploads and just disappears. The photos meet the requirements of pixels and resolution, but still won't upload.

07 Ram 2500 5.9l 4x4-BD Super B Killer 361/475 comp turbo, BD exhaust manifold, Banks intake and exhaust, XRP head bolts, Smarty Touch w/custom tuning, BD intercooler, HD drivelines, HD discs and calipers, BD transmission, Banks torque converter, 7500 lbs air bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:38 PM
Diesel Head

This is odd. I have a banks intercooler and am also running ppe boots and have never had an issue other then the boot going onto the intake horn popping off but I figured that was an installer (my) error.
I have seen as much as 70 psi with my setup.
I’m wondering if perhaps there is a sharp edge somewhere compromising the boot or are there any odd angles that might be putting weird stress on them?

2007 5.9 MC - AIRDOG, AIRLIFT, ARP, AUTOMETER, BMS 100's, CPP 103# SPRINGS, 62/475, EXERGY 10mm, EFI LIVE BY [email protected] gltuningsolutions.com @DODGE74
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, POWER DRIVEN DIESEL TRANS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, MBRP, MOTOMETAL, PRO COMP, NITTO RGS SUPERGLIDE 3600, FUZION 5'R
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

No sharp edges. It has always blown out on the passenger side.

The down tube is shaped like a shallow Z. Each time it has blown out, the turbo out and the Z tube are no longer lined up. The Z tube lifts about 1/2" to an 1". I thought it was a result of the coupler loosing integrity from the blow out. It looks lined up when it's installed.

How much flex is there with the engine?

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

I was looking at some photos of the original install and the blowouts. I can see in the blowouts and the build photo where the coupler has a kink in it from the tubes not lining up. I am starting to think they didn't measure the tubing properly and it's too long, causing a kink in the coupler which leads to compromised equipment.

https://lordravenblk.smugmug.com/Tubro-coupler/

I've added a link to some photos since I can't seem to post them here.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode