Aurora 3000 vs Modified Holset turbo - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Aurora 3000 vs Modified Holset turbo

Right now I'm running the ATS Aurora 3000. https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/produ...p?p=2029302272

It is a great turbo! Spools fast, really kicks in around 2000 RPM, about 38-40 psi max boost. Great for the daily driver. It does good pulling my 29' Northwood Nash (8500lbs loaded) and 6 passengers in truck. Until I start climbing mountain passes, then the EGT's really get high (1400+), and I have to let off.

Modifying stock Holset HE351CW. http://turbolabofamerica.com/he351-e...using-upgrade/

Pulled this out of my truck to replace with the Aurora about a year ago. Heard good things about Turbo Lab kit to increase exhaust size to 67mm x 76mm HX40 Turbine Wheel + Turbine Housing. Supposedly can reduce EGT up to 400 degrees. Yet get quick spool and up to 40 psi boost. Parts and rebuild kit are ordered. Also replacing stock waste gate actuator with AFE preset to 40 PSI. Capping off electronic port, as I already have a boost fooler plug installed.

The truck: 05 Ram 2500
Mods:
AFE air horn/filter
ATS Arc Flow intake
CFS Pre-cooler
ATS Pulse-Flow exhaust manifold
4" exhaust all the way back
*adding Smarty J-06

I'll see if I can better the Aurora 3000 performance with the Modified Holset. My main goal is to get quick spool up (1700-2200 engine rpm), maintain 40 PSI boost, but drop my EGT's to safe range while towing up hill. In the end, if I'm not where I want to be, I'll sell these and probably get an II Phatshaft 62/70. What do you all think? Predictions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
I like this, especially because your doing a real bolt on upgrade to the 351. I noticed they also sell the compressor upgrade on their eBay store as well.

So for tuning your running the smarty JR?

2004.5 QC/SB, NV5600, kennys dual disk, smarty S-06 UDC, 62/68/.91 T4 SXE, DAP 2nd gen T4 manifold, ARPís, jake exhaust brake, gdp 2 mic, isspro's, some stupidly wide 20ís and Atturo tires.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes, the Smarty Jr. I have to check if there is a tune on my truck. I bought it used, and so it is unknown. It doesn't blow smoke, but it feels like it has a little extra. That maybe the other mods done though. If it does have a tune, I'll take it to Dodge and have it wiped, and use just the Smarty Jr. I need a common starting point to access. I'm going to tune the Aurora the best I can before swapping out to the Holset. Then do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:00 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Not a bad idea to start fresh with a stock tune from dodge... then you know your stock and the JR shouldn't have any problems working. That was my first programmer... I was amazed the first time I used it. It definitely works well and is very safe. I don't think I ever used any of the lower settings, just wasn't any need.

Very curious to see how you like the 351 upgrades. I think it's pretty cool turbo lab made these "kits" for people to just bolt on. Basically rebuild your turbo with their wheels and housings.

2004.5 QC/SB, NV5600, kennys dual disk, smarty S-06 UDC, 62/68/.91 T4 SXE, DAP 2nd gen T4 manifold, ARPís, jake exhaust brake, gdp 2 mic, isspro's, some stupidly wide 20ís and Atturo tires.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:33 PM
Diesel Freak

If this doesnít give you what your looking for I would start with a custom tune before you buy another turbo.

Post up before and after with the same conditions if possible again. Then try the smarty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95 3500 4x4 5spd 4.10 - SuperB/GTA4202 Build, Colt stage 4 Cam, Ported Head, 7mm DV, 7x.012, blah, blah...
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Cummins Fan

I'll definitely be following this thread. I'm running bone stock with exception of DPS 2 piece exhaust manifold. I'm assuming this rebuild kit is not visibly noticeable (I'm in Calif and have to deal with bi-annual smog testing). I would love to reduce EGTs while towing my 12K fifth wheel. This sounds like a good upgrade if it works as advertised. Might also provide a little extra punch as well. What is the total cost of the necessary parts to do this and what is the degree of difficulty for the installation? Also, I have a PacBrake exhaust brake installed that connects to the output of the turbo. Will it still fit with this upgrade?

2004.5 3500 QC SB 4X4 48RE 3.73s Laramie Silver over graphite leather, Pacbrake, Insight CTS2 Monitor, Putco wheel to wheel steps, chromed OEM alloy wheels, Pullrite 16K superglide, Tekonsha Prodigy, Line-X, Extang Trifecta
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I got the Smarty yesterday. Hooked it up, STOCK tune. Awesome, no need for the dealer. Put it on the TOW setting and uploaded. Took it out for a drive. Definitely adds some punch! The turbo spools a bit quicker with less lag. Before it would spool a little, then @ 2000 rpm, BAM the Aurora would shoot up. Now it spools a little earlier and smoothly transitions. Still making most of it's boost after 2000 rpm. A little poof of black smoke on hard acceleration. Still got some tinkering to do.

As for the Turbo Lab kit. You could just buy the kit, pull the exhaust housing, pull the comp nut, and install new turbine and shaft, re-install compressor nut, then the housing. But while its out, I just rather rebuild it. I'm also plugging of the solenoid port and installing an AFE wastegate actuator (preset to 40 psi). These are not required, but just felt like going all the way. Here is my cost:

Upgrade kit - $265
Rebuild kit - $55
AFE actuator - $185
Solenoid Plug - $38
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:51 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I have a tater built 67/67 and like it. Using it to race in the 7.70 class.
It is a fun turbo that is capable of 1000+ horsepower.

2003 QCSB cummins, DDP 12mm CP3 and 150% overs, a turbo, Firepunk Diesel 48re, my momma said I couldn't handle the v8 so I bought a cummins instead
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviomech View Post
Well, I got the Smarty yesterday. Hooked it up, STOCK tune. Awesome, no need for the dealer. Put it on the TOW setting and uploaded. Took it out for a drive. Definitely adds some punch! The turbo spools a bit quicker with less lag. Before it would spool a little, then @ 2000 rpm, BAM the Aurora would shoot up. Now it spools a little earlier and smoothly transitions. Still making most of it's boost after 2000 rpm. A little poof of black smoke on hard acceleration. Still got some tinkering to do.

As for the Turbo Lab kit. You could just buy the kit, pull the exhaust housing, pull the comp nut, and install new turbine and shaft, re-install compressor nut, then the housing. But while its out, I just rather rebuild it. I'm also plugging of the solenoid port and installing an AFE wastegate actuator (preset to 40 psi). These are not required, but just felt like going all the way. Here is my cost:

Upgrade kit - $265
Rebuild kit - $55
AFE actuator - $185
Solenoid Plug - $38

Amazing how that little programmer changes the truck. Does a pretty good job for a very basic box tune.

Also anyone running an exhaust brake will be able to install the brake on the new housing. Itís the same size as stock just the inside is machined to fit the larger wheel. Not sure if they enlarge the gate a little too...

post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I also am in the process of rebuilding a he351 going the same route with the Turbo lab kit and wastegate actuator. Looking forward to your follow up with results. Only difference is I'm going to put a billet compressor wheel in mine, plan on compounds down the road so figure why not.

2005 QCLB 6 speed - South Bend Single - Banks intercooler w/3.5" pipes and intake horn - Fast Coolers - Smarty Jr - AirDog 4G 165 - More goodies to come
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLD-2003 QCSB 5 speed SDD3250-Fast Coolers-BMS 50s-6.7 feed tubes-CPP 115# springs-7/16" Manton pushrods-ARP studs-5" st8 Twin 7" CATs-ISSPRO's-Smarty S06-2nd gen manifold-He351- 2nd gen Intake Horn-Jacobs Brake-NUC Oil Bypass-Traction Bars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
HE351CW rebuild complete. Just waiting on AFE wastegate actuator. One thing I'm liking, no shaft play at all. spins freely. One thing I'm gonna have to do is transfer over the exhaust mounting studs. New housing came threaded, but no studs. Don't know if I'll get the turbo in the truck this week. Might be another 2 weeks, as I have to work next weekend. Also, teaching my 12 year old nephew the hobby of truck performance and maintenance. So he helped with the turbo rebuild and will help with the replacement.

So I'm gonna play around and power the truck up some hills here locally and record some numbers with the Aurora still installed. I pretty much know the numbers from towing my trailer from Port Orchard to LA and back. I want to get the HE351 in by mid June, as I will towing my trailer again for vacation.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:00 PM
Cummins Fan

Awesome info. How does this rebuilt setup compare to a Tater Built Turbo?

2004.5 3500 QC SB 4X4 48RE 3.73s Laramie Silver over graphite leather, Pacbrake, Insight CTS2 Monitor, Putco wheel to wheel steps, chromed OEM alloy wheels, Pullrite 16K superglide, Tekonsha Prodigy, Line-X, Extang Trifecta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode