Question as to what my truck could handle - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Recently bought a 06 mega cab 5.9. Has the smarty touch. Newest firmware running sw7 right now the 160hp tune. Just curious if my truck could handle sw9 the 215? Hp tune. Truck has 5” straight pipe, s&b intake and intake horn, stock injectors and turbo ect. Stock lift pump. Has built tranny... king o matic racing clutches, king o matic Kevlar bands, sonnax Billet triple disc torque converter, transgo mr shift kit, billet input and output shafts. Just curious if the truck could handle that tune and extra torque management and timing ect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:04 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Trans is good to go, egts will be screaming at you though...

06 4dr LB Laramie,dynamic stg 4,64.5/73/.91,steed speed,anarchy EFi,Fleece bypass,ARP 425s,insight,pac brake,6" Carli,long arms, king 2.5's,WFO traction bars,35s
Sold trucks, 99,02,05,07,14
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02smokin View Post
Trans is good to go, egts will be screaming at you though...
I have the smarty egt sensor but the one I got was faulty it reads but not as accurate. New sensor is on the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

I set it to sw9, timing default, rail pressure default, torque management 2, seemed to pull a little quicker. Only ran it 2nd gear 3/4 throttle. My other options for settings are stock, 1 (default), 2 and 3. Curious if I should move torque management to 3 or leave as is, same with rail pressure. I see rail pressure go as high as 24500 psi. Also I was told timing is highest at setting 1 And the rest highest is 3. The smarty programming can get a little confusing on how they do it
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:39 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Ditch that smarty and get custom tuning wit EFI live.

| Firepunk HP-T | Firepunk Comp 2 | GDP Fuel-Boss | T&C 10mm | Ducky 63% | Billet S400 | GDP Air-Boss | Stud's | Rods | Springs | Gauges |
770HP 1150TQ ( Conservative Tune )
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PowerHouse View Post
Ditch that smarty and get custom tuning wit EFI live.
I know.. but I’m stuck with this for now. I have other things to attend to on the truck before I go that far. For me it works good enough. I don’t launch the truck or race just the odd time like to get on it. And when people ride my butt... but the truck doesn’t smoke much, just a puff
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post
I know.. but I’m stuck with this for now. I have other things to attend to on the truck before I go that far. For me it works good enough. I don’t launch the truck or race just the odd time like to get on it. And when people ride my butt... but the truck doesn’t smoke much, just a puff
"Before you go that far", With custom tuning? Right...

| Firepunk HP-T | Firepunk Comp 2 | GDP Fuel-Boss | T&C 10mm | Ducky 63% | Billet S400 | GDP Air-Boss | Stud's | Rods | Springs | Gauges |
770HP 1150TQ ( Conservative Tune )
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05PowerHouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostility View Post
"Before you go that far", With custom tuning? Right...[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/assspank.gif[/IMG]
Yes go that far as in spending an extra 2k on something I don’t really need at this point. If I upgrade turbo and injectors on day then definitely yes. For me right now, pointless. Smarty works perfectly fine
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:42 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Youd only be in it few hundred dollars if you sold your smarty.... think about it, custom tuning is night and day difference all around.

06 4dr LB Laramie,dynamic stg 4,64.5/73/.91,steed speed,anarchy EFi,Fleece bypass,ARP 425s,insight,pac brake,6" Carli,long arms, king 2.5's,WFO traction bars,35s
Sold trucks, 99,02,05,07,14
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:01 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
2k for custom tuning? What in the name of inflation is this about??!

If it works, it works for now. Custom tuning is nice, but even I wouldnt say it's the end all be all. There are better ways to spend 700 bucks if you already have a decent tuner..

I would make sure the line pressure is turned up enough. Torque management, or lack thereof, could slip the clutches if you are aggressive with the throttle or tow heavy.

Hard parts should be good for the power.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1994 Buick Roadmaster Sedan 'Betsy' LT1-4L60E, Every Option Good Old Fashioned Lead-Sled
2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie Every Option - ATS S3|FASS 150|DDP 50HP|S&B Intake|4"TBE|CTS2|EFI
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelonas View Post
2k for custom tuning? What in the name of inflation is this about??!

If it works, it works for now. Custom tuning is nice, but even I wouldnt say it's the end all be all. There are better ways to spend 700 bucks if you already have a decent tuner..

I would make sure the line pressure is turned up enough. Torque management, or lack thereof, could slip the clutches if you are aggressive with the throttle or tow heavy.

Hard parts should be good for the power.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sorry 2k for the efi live with dsp (again I haven’t really looked into it just saw some pricing online... I live in Canada)
But ya down the road I probably will but again for me right now this smarty works fine for me. I don’t have a line pressure gauge I guess I should look into that, I also need to invest in a lift pump, I know stock is good but I want to try and play it safe. I don’t tow or load the bed with anything, truck isn’t a daily it’s just my toy.
Are you saying the torque management should be kept down so it Dosent slip the clutches?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:43 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Your stock in tank lift pump is plenty of fuel for the smarty. It'll support more then the smarty will command with stock injectors so save your money. Buy added filtration for your fuel system... that's always a good investment.

I think with your tranny you are just fine, you'll probably like sw9. I have a manual and a SO6 smarty and I only run on sw9. Daily driving, towing heavy, truck pull, drag race, take the kids to the store, and unfortunately go to work... all on same tune. My truck just always ran the best on sw9... at least that's what I think.

2004.5 QC/SB, NV5600, kennys dual disk, smarty S-06 UDC, 62/68/.91 T4 SXE, DAP 2nd gen T4 manifold, ARPs, jake exhaust brake, gdp 2 mic, isspro's, some stupidly wide 20s and Atturo tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode