Next performance steps?? Injector size? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Next performance steps?? Injector size?

Hey guys! First time post long time reader.
First off I'll give some background on what I have and what I want to do.
I have a 06 3500 mega cab. I'm looking for some more power (who isn't). It's has 120xxx on it now and I had a injector go. I replaced it but now I'm going to do them all. Which brings me to nozzles. I'm looking for a fun truck that can still do everything (tow, road trips, just cruise) and have some usable power. I occasionally take trips from MA to SC to see family. I'd like to not have to worry about towing (10,000 or less). Don't really care about mpg that much. I'm averaging 20mpg now with very mixed driving.
I was looking at 50hp nozzles or 90hp ones. I'm going to buy new oem injectors and swap out the nozzle. I do plan on getting a a banks intercooler kit and a fleece cheetah and stopping there. Not sure if the "bag of parts" for the pump is needed? Not looking for a smoke show. It's not bad now, light smoke under heavy throttle.
What do you guys think? I know it's kinda a small build but I want to just do it once and be happy.

Any help would be appreciated!

I tried to edit my signature but not sure if it worked..
2006 5.9 24v
4in straight pipe
S&B intake
Grid heater delete
Fass 165 1/2 lines @20psi
Banks 6 gun with idash and egt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Diesel Freak

Donít buy oem injectors and swap nozzles yourself. Contact S&S or Exergy for a matched and tested set of injectors. Being that you donít mention a turbo in your future, you could go with 50 or 90 hp injectors and not get to hot for the turbo. If you have any inclination to go for more HP, go with 120 injectors and custom tunes from EFI live. Have the pulse width dialed back to keep rail pressure from dropping off. Either way ditching the Banks and going to custom tunes will give a major boost in HP and drivability when doing new injectors. Not a mix match set made in the garage.

04.5 CC SB 4x4, Trans built locally with almost all of the goodies, HPT tuned by Firepunk, FASS 150, BMS 50 injectors. Traction bars.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Don't swap the nozzles. Just get some bigger injectors from exergy, S&S or bbi. Instead of a new intercooler that won't give you any noticeable difference, get rid of that banks box tuner and get custom tuning instead. The fleece cheetah isn't a bad option, but look into the SXE turbos before you make your purchase. Also the bad o parts is garbage.

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

My concern with buying injectors already setup is that they are reman. Vs I can buy brand new bocsh ones and put nozzles on.

I'm not going for big hp numbers. I want a drivable truck that I can tow or drive anywhere. That was one of the reasons that want to do the intercooler kit. Not for power just more reliable power. Keep egt down.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:45 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
If your intercooler has the plastic end caps, an aftermarket intercooler can be more reliable. The plastic end caps can crack, but i haven't seen it be a big problem. But other then that, it's going to do nothing for you. Custom tuning will be able to control your EGTs far better then an intercooler. bbi uses new injectors and im pretty sure S&S and exergy do as well.

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:27 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT 11B View Post
If your intercooler has the plastic end caps, an aftermarket intercooler can be more reliable. The plastic end caps can crack, but i haven't seen it be a big problem. But other then that, it's going to do nothing for you. Custom tuning will be able to control your EGTs far better then an intercooler. bbi uses new injectors and im pretty sure S&S and exergy do as well.
Only 05ís had plastic ends

06 4dr LB Laramie,dynamic stg 4,64.5/73/.91,steed speed,anarchy EFi,Fleece bypass,ARP 425ís,insight,pac brake,6" Carli,long arms, king 2.5's,WFO traction bars,35ís
Sold trucks, 99,02,05,07,14
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I hope youíre trans or clutch is in good health

06 4dr LB Laramie,dynamic stg 4,64.5/73/.91,steed speed,anarchy EFi,Fleece bypass,ARP 425ís,insight,pac brake,6" Carli,long arms, king 2.5's,WFO traction bars,35ís
Sold trucks, 99,02,05,07,14
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Not really sure about the trans, shifts fine. It's not original to the truck I don't think. I have a new vb and bd solenoid kit on the shelf waiting to go in. Maybe over the winter I'll pull the trans and get a rebuild kit.

I'll have to check out those new injectors. I've had bad luck with remans. So I'm definitely going new. So I guess the question is if I get them with nozzles or put them on myself.

After more research I'm going to do 30/33% ones.

A better intercooler and pipe will help overall with everything. Power is in air density not boost. Make more power with less throttle keeps everything happy.

As far as custom tunes. That might be down the road. For now I'll stick with the banks. Like I said not going for crazy power. Just a good all around truck. 450-500whp is max for my goals.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:16 AM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Grunt is basically saying our stock Intercooler is awesome. A new aftermarket cooler wonít improve anything for your setup. Just trying to save your money is all.

Also stock new injectors will get to your goal. But a 30 over will do nicely. Exergy has 30% overs brand new sets for about $3200.

2004.5 QC/SB, NV5600, kennys dual disk, smarty S-06 UDC, 62/68/.91 T4 SXE, DAP 2nd gen T4 manifold, ARPís, jake exhaust brake, gdp 2 mic, isspro's, some stupidly wide 20ís and Atturo tires.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny72888 View Post
A better intercooler and pipe will help overall with everything. Power is in air density not boost. Make more power with less throttle keeps everything happy.
That's not true. But if you wanna spend $1000+ for some parts that you won't feel any change from, well thats up to you.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
My concern with buying injectors already setup is that they are reman. Vs I can buy brand new bocsh ones and put nozzles on.

I'm not going for big hp numbers. I want a drivable truck that I can tow or drive anywhere. That was one of the reasons that want to do the intercooler kit. Not for power just more reliable power. Keep egt down.
go with the bosch motorsports 50 or 100 hp with the spray angle you want, opinions on this vary wildly so read up and make your own choice. These are new injectors btw so nothing to worry about. Exergy sells these as do others for the same money as a stock size set give or take. definitely go new tho.

2004.5 2wd RCSB, auto, 3.73, BBi stage 1.5, Fleece cheetah Holset, Hptuning by Firepunk, Goerend triple disc, sonnax billet input, Fleece stroker CP3, FASS 150, 308,000 miles and counting. Dynoed 692/1329. Best ET to date [email protected]
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
Grunt is basically saying our stock Intercooler is awesome. A new aftermarket cooler won’t improve anything for your setup. Just trying to save your money is all.

Also stock new injectors will get to your goal. But a 30 over will do nicely. Exergy has 30% overs brand new sets for about $3200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT 11B View Post
I understand that I won't gain anymore power but I'll be able to move more air easily.

I have it narrowed down to s&s or exergy. It's about $1000 more than stock. Now I'm not sure if it's worth it if I don't need the extra fuel.
I read alot that even on stock setups larger injectors help. I'll have to do some more research and get some more input from everyone here.

Quote:
That's not true. But if you wanna spend $1000+ for some parts that you won't feel any change from, well thats up to you.
My thought was for $1000 I get a bigger cooler, larger pipes, and a better intake horn.
My intake air Temps are usually 10* or so higher than outside temp. I appreciate everyone's input and opinions. That's why I asked the question. I like to hear from other people and their personal experience with products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59turbo View Post
Quote:

go with the bosch motorsports 50 or 100 hp with the spray angle you want, opinions on this vary wildly so read up and make your own choice. These are new injectors btw so nothing to worry about. Exergy sells these as do others for the same money as a stock size set give or take. definitely go new tho.
I did see these mentioned a few times. It seems to be very mixed. A lot of people say that they will melt Pistons. I don't see that happening unless you put a crazy big one in or when with the wrong angle. What I like about the other two I mentioned above was they keep the factory angle and hone out the holes to make them larger. Some of the other nozzle companies give you new nozzles that might not match up to the same angle as Factory. I will say one thing over the past couple weeks of doing research on injectors there is definitely a lot more to it than I originally had thought. I'm glad I didn't just go on eBay or something and by the first set of injector nozzles I saw.
Do you have any personal experience with the Motorsport injectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode