New guy here with upgrade questions - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes
  • 1 Post By GRUNT 11B
  • 1 Post By Gunny Fitz
  • 1 Post By Dude_57

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
New guy here with upgrade questions

Hello. I am new to this site. I have an 05 dually 3500 with the 5.9. Truck is bone stock other than the KN cold air intake I installed. Truck has 220k and is ready for injectors. I plan to put a 5" exhaust with performance muffler on it but want opinions on the best injector/lift pump/turbo combo to do to help increase the horsepower? I pull a 42' camper with this truck. I don't plan on doing any racing just want a truck that has plenty of power and runs better than stock. Plan to put a tuner on it as well. I realize I will have to do tranny work as well but I have that planned out already. Just curious on input on the performance items. Labor is free on install and budget is about $4k. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:10 PM
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfdfiredad View Post
Hello. I am new to this site. I have an 05 dually 3500 with the 5.9. Truck is bone stock other than the KN cold air intake I installed. Truck has 220k and is ready for injectors. I plan to put a 5" exhaust with performance muffler on it but want opinions on the best injector/lift pump/turbo combo to do to help increase the horsepower? I pull a 42' camper with this truck. I don't plan on doing any racing just want a truck that has plenty of power and runs better than stock. Plan to put a tuner on it as well. I realize I will have to do tranny work as well but I have that planned out already. Just curious on input on the performance items. Labor is free on install and budget is about $4k. Thanks
Hey bud, first off welcome to the forum.

Ill shoot you a message and ill do my best to help you achieve your goal within your budget. Ill be more then happy to help you learn about your truck as well.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20

See what we are up to on:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Or Email us at:

The Following User Says Thank You to Dude_57 For This Useful Post:
nfdfiredad (02-27-2019)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:13 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
Donít change the turbo unless you absolutely need to. I would change the lift pump out for the new fass 165 with filters. Iíll let someone with more knowledge about injectors advise on that. Finally, I would get HPTuners from a reputable tuner with professional tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 QCSB, cold air intake, guages, a trans built by me and HPTuners tunes by me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:29 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
First, put the stock air intake with a stock filter back in. It will filter the air better (k&n aren't great "air filters" anyways) and is not restrictive/you aren't gaining anything from a CAI. Next get your tranny beefed up to hold more power. If you want a lift pump, air dog or fass, but they won't benefit you performance wise. The better fuel filtration is a great thing to have though. You can upgrade your fuel filtration without getting a pump if you want. Some good injectors would be like 50 HP or 30% overs. Exergy, S&S and bbi are some companies to look at for injectors. Get custom tuning from a REPUTABLE tuner, not the local performance shop that can get you custom tuning for $200 cheaper. From the sounds of what you're looking for power wise, custom tuning alone will probably give you more then you're looking for.
Gunny Fitz likes this.

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:39 AM
Cummins Fan

I agrre with grunt, custom tuning will most likely make you more than happy. I had to do my lift pump (upgraded to fass165) with stock fueling, stock air, but custom tune... because i could take fuel pressure down to 0psi under even moderate load. Most likely the stock pump was getting weak.

06 5.9 CCSB DD leveled, BBi 1.5's, FASS 165, ARP studs, Smeding valve springs, DPS exhaust manifold, 4" exh, AEM intake, Built 48re minus billet shafts, AGP 63/68 12cm IG, 20x10 -20 ballistics, 34x12 AMP tires. EFILive by Anarchy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:14 AM
Devil Dog Diesel

Garage
Welcome to the Club "Fire Dad!"
You are bound to find tons of great info / advice within these walls. Just remember each of us has a different story, opinion and we all have our faves when it comes to Mods. For instance, I have never done a thing to my 05 Transmission and never had an issue with it. Each time I suggest anything Edge related I get slammed - but my Juice With Attitude and CTS2 has done plenty for me without any ancillary trouble whatsoever! I chose a "Closed Box" CAI by Volant (a big step up from that K&N) that enables the Flo-Pro straight back system to breathe just fine. Once you obtain all the viable choices of what you'd like to add based on recommendations, external reviews, and what you wish to achieve - plot out your budget accordingly. If you find a source for "Custom Tunes" that fit, go for it. The sky is the limit for you and that Dually! Have fun doing it up, and best wishes buddy!
4everlearning likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2005 Laramie, Edge JWA/CTS2, Pusher Intake, Volant CAI, Flo-Pro Turbo Back Exhaust, Mag-Hytec, 4 Time-Toyo AT2 Lover, XD Wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Plush Bed-Rug, Viper 5904 w Remote Start, HID Lows, Yellow HID Fogs, Amsoil Preferred Member, Brand Loyalist of Ducati Superbikes..Eight Owned & Raced!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
Welcome to the Club "Fire Dad!"
You are bound to find tons of great info / advice within these walls. Just remember each of us has a different story, opinion and we all have our faves when it comes to Mods. For instance, I have never done a thing to my 05 Transmission and never had an issue with it. Each time I suggest anything Edge related I get slammed - but my Juice With Attitude and CTS2 has done plenty for me without any ancillary trouble whatsoever! I chose a "Closed Box" CAI by Volant (a big step up from that K&N) that enables the Flo-Pro straight back system to breathe just fine. Once you obtain all the viable choices of what you'd like to add based on recommendations, external reviews, and what you wish to achieve - plot out your budget accordingly. If you find a source for "Custom Tunes" that fit, go for it. The sky is the limit for you and that Dually! Have fun doing it up, and best wishes buddy!
Couldnt agree more. We all have our own experiences and opinions. Awesome post bud!
4everlearning likes this.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20

See what we are up to on:

Or Email us at:

The Following User Says Thank You to Dude_57 For This Useful Post:
Gunny Fitz (03-04-2019)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:30 AM

Upgrade tranny and converter. Then fix your injectors and EFI tune. You should have money to spare.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Diesel Head

The best setup for pulling heavy with these trucks is the stock components. They really work well together. Now that being said and, you stating you have injectors issues possibly.
Better fuel filtration wether it be an air dog, fass or just some extra filters in the system is never a bad idea. Bbi tow masters or .5’s or whatever they call them you can’t go wrong there (but that’s most of your 4K budget right there) and some custom tuning via MM3/UDC or hptuners from a reputable tuner (gl tuning solutions, firepunk, anarchy, fleece come to mind)

2007 5.9 MC - AIRDOG, AIRLIFT, ARP, AUTOMETER, BMS 100's, CPP 103# SPRINGS, 62/475, EXERGY 10mm, EFI LIVE BY [email protected] gltuningsolutions.com @DODGE74
, POWER DRIVEN DIESEL TRANS
, MBRP, MOTOMETAL, PRO COMP, NITTO RGíS SUPERGLIDE 3600, FUZION 5'R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode