Mishimoto R&D - 3rd Gen. 5.9L / 6.7L Transmission Cooler - Page 31 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:19 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSWA View Post
Thanks for posting your experience. I have a Mishimoto cooler sitting in my garage right now waiting to be installed. I'm hoping it will run a lot cooler than the stock cooler and I won't have to add a secondary cooler. I'm assuming the fan on your aux cooler is controlled by a thermostat. Did the fan ever come on when you were running the Mishimoto? Also, did you install the thermostat in the Mishimoto cooler or are you running without it?
Usually the thermostat on the remote cooler fans are set to come on around 180 deg and kicks off around 165.

03 Dodge SHO CCLB Dually Banks intercooler 4" side draft intake. Carli/Thuren Argon filled Shocks, radius arms, SRW 4 link Conversion, 17"methods, 42" Goodyear MTR Kevlar Tires / 6 in a row ready to tow! NO BUSTERS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSWA View Post
Thanks for posting your experience. I have a Mishimoto cooler sitting in my garage right now waiting to be installed. I'm hoping it will run a lot cooler than the stock cooler and I won't have to add a secondary cooler. I'm assuming the fan on your aux cooler is controlled by a thermostat. Did the fan ever come on when you were running the Mishimoto? Also, did you install the thermostat in the Mishimoto cooler or are you running without it?
Right now the temp probe is not hooked up. I didnít have the right fittings and I was in a rush to leave. When I get the correct fittings, Iíll reattach the temp probe. Honestly though, it might not even be needed. When I had both Derale coolers, the fan came on a lot more that I liked. It was plumbed on the output side of the front cooler, I think it is a 180 temp probe. When the fluid was hot enough to turn on the fan at the auxiliary cooler, my temp reading on the Insight showed 200 to 212. Didnít take long for the temp to drop back down to high 170 or low 180. Also, I bypassed the fluid exchanger on the side of the block and replaced all lines with -8. Hope this helps.
MDSWA likes this.
post #363 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Diesel Freak

Got the cooler installed a couple days ago. The thing is massive compared to the oem cooler. And so far my temps are down about 30 to 40 degrees even with the torque converter cooler on the side of the block still plugged in. Itís been unusually cool for May here in West Virginia. Usually our summers already started but itís pretty cool. I visited my brother in-law and sister right after installing the cooler and my temps the hole way up was 120 . Sensor is in the pan. Usually Iím running about 160 to 165 temperature was 65 out side. When I left it got real cool in the Morgantown area for this time of the year about 50 degrees and the hole way to morgantown my trans temp sat at 100. So it would seem Iím definitely going to have to install the thermostat in for the winter months. Even in stop and go traffic the trans only got up 130 . So the mishimoto coolor has helped a lot. I havenít towed or hauled anything yet but I expect the hay guy to be calling any day now .

Now unfortunately for the bad news .

Iíve very disappointed there was no instructions included . mishimoto just gives a link for a YouTube video. The video does show you how to install the cooler but makes no mention about the thermostat. I had no idea how to install the buy pass . It was 5:30 on a Friday so calling mishimoto wasnít an option. I donít see why a paper with a diagram canít be included to show you how the thermostat buy pass goes in. I put it in how I thought it went and got it wrong. My trans temp was only 20 degrees cooler then my coolant temperature and moved up at the same speed as the coolant did as it warmed up lol. That was annoying. So I guess what I did was I managed to buy pass the mishimoto cooler lol the front side of the cooler was very hot where the lines come in and out but the rest of the cooler was cool. I was really upset cause you canít get to the thermostat plug on top of the cooler because the radiator core support is in the way. I thought I was going to have to remove the intercooler and pull the cooler out to get to it. But then found out you can take the core support blots out and lift the support up an out of the way. I didnít even remove the blots on the passenger side, just left them lose. Pulled the support forward.
Once I got the thermostat plug off and took the buy pass out it was obvious how itís installed. I felt like a retard but got it right the second time. I also found out thereís a video showing you how to install the bypass but I wasnít able to find it when I needed it. My luck In a nut shell .

My other complaint is, Iím not crazy about the gun metal gray color, Iíd personally rather just raw aluminum or Polish even better black .

I also found out the lines are to long , mishimoto says to cut the oem lines 5 inches from the back of the hump on the stock cooler . If I did that that would have put the barb fittings and hose clamps right next to the radiator overflow bottle . There isnít much room with that bottle and the radiator upfront plus the boost tube. So I cut mine farther back so it would be easier to get to the clamps if they came lose or were leaking .the lines included were still to long I had to cut a few inches off other wise I would have had to stuff the lines behind the fender or let them stick up passed the core support. Not a big deal and Iíd rather have more then enough lines then not enough.

Now then to my biggest complaint, and this one was very disappointing. When I removed the thermostat I noticed aluminum shavings all over the thermostat and inside of the hole the thermostat was setting in. Iím not sure if thatís enough to cause a problem like plug a cooling tube inside of the cooler or even damage the transmission if it made its way back there. But I wasnít going to take a chance. I spent probably an hour and a half blowing the cooler out. Both in the Direction the transmission fluid would flow and reverse. I even when I was installing the lines purposely install. The lines backwards so the transmission pump would push the fluid backwards through the cooler and out into a bucket on the other side. I must have got it all when I blew it out with compressed air cause I didnít see anything in the fluid coming out of the cooler. If I didnít already have a filter filtering the fluid coming from the cooler before it goes back into the trans. I might have even just sent the cooler back.

Here some pictures of the doorman oem replacement vs the mishimoto

Over all I would recommend the mishimoto cooler itís leaps and bounds beyond the factory cooler. But I would definitely pop the thermostat out and make sure thereís no metal shavings in there before installing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Gator1 likes this.

03 HO/Airdog 165/II 100 hp injectors/built tranny by Brain vannest,Cfm+ /[email protected] CAI/smarty/MRBP 5" ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
You can see from the pics it's a good bit thicker!

03 Dodge SHO CCLB Dually Banks intercooler 4" side draft intake. Carli/Thuren Argon filled Shocks, radius arms, SRW 4 link Conversion, 17"methods, 42" Goodyear MTR Kevlar Tires / 6 in a row ready to tow! NO BUSTERS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #365 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:34 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post
You can see from the pics it's a good bit thicker!

Yeah it is . It also sticks up passed the condenser on the front. Once the intercooler and condenser was installed with the doorman and oem you couldnít see any anymore . Had to walk up and look be tween the in cooler and radiator.

I still can believe my temps even with the torque converter coolor still installed . I bet it will help cool my engine some to while towing lol. Probably not but it canít hurt .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03 HO/Airdog 165/II 100 hp injectors/built tranny by Brain vannest,Cfm+ /[email protected] CAI/smarty/MRBP 5" ss
post #366 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:00 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Yea I've always thought it wasn't a good idea to have a 200deg hot trans-cooler blowing into the Radiator. Do you have a mishimoto radiator?

post #367 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:23 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Yea I've always thought it wasn't a good idea to have a 200deg hot trans-cooler blowing into the Radiator. Do you have a mishimoto radiator?

No, aftermarket spectre auto same thing NAPA and auto zone sell. But I got it for like 217$ free two day shipping from amazon. My oem had a huge dent in the bottom it literally looked like someone tried to jack the front of the truck up with a jack on the radiator . It closed off 3 or 4 rows at the bottom of the radiator and bend the shroud. I have no idea how the previous owner did that . I also canít believe it didnít leak . Iím still doing research on radiators . I was going to go with a cheaper all aluminum 4 row radiator but found out that more rows on a aluminum radiator donít not necessarily mean better cooling . A lot of the inported radiators use much smaller tubes typically 16mm and even is a good aluminum radiator only has two rows and can cool way better then the 4 row that only has 16mm tubes is the tubes are bigger . So it sounds like the mishimoto is the best alternative. Iíd love to find out what size tubes the factory uses . I know itís a two row .

https://www.dewitts.com/blogs/news/1...etter-than-two

https://www.google.com/amp/s/champio...-row-core/amp/

http://www.speedcooling.com/3_Row_Versus_2_Row.html

post #368 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:42 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Hold on, I have a link for you to check out. Griffin Radiators for 2003 Dodge Ram Tube size on the Griffin is 1.25" or 32mm.
Sazabizc likes this.

Last edited by Gator1; 05-16-2019 at 03:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gator1 For This Useful Post:
Sazabizc (05-16-2019)
post #369 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:48 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I just ordered one of these with their fan and shroud kit. They also use Spal fans. I have a Mishimoto radiator for sale real cheap!

post #370 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Hold on, I have a link for you to check out. Griffin Radiators for 2003 Dodge Ram Tube size on the Griffin is 1.25"

Thanks for the info . So that would mean the oem would cool better then these cheap 3 and four row radiators on eBay. I looked at two radiators on eBay from different companies and asked them how big the tubes were .they both told me the tune size was 16mm . Now Iíd like to know if mishimoto make the tunes any larger then The oem or if itís the same size .

post #371 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazabizc View Post
Thanks for the info . So that would mean the oem would cool better then these cheap 3 and four row radiators on eBay. I looked at two radiators on eBay from different companies and asked them how big the tubes were .they both told me the tune size was 16mm . Now I’d like to know if mishimoto make the tunes any larger then The oem or if it’s the same size .

The core of my Mishimoto is only 1" thick... and they want $800.00 for it. Doesn't work very well, I had to put a 180 deg stat in it to keep from overheating.

post #372 of 385 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:26 AM
Diesel Freak

Ok, I was able to pull a load today and the mishimoto trans cooler definitely helped. The load was a 24 ft dove tail trailer and a John Deere 5075e tractor with a woods bb840x brush hog. Itís quite the load, tractor is a heavy beast . Tires are filled 75% full with washer fluid as a ballast and it also has two 110 pound wheel weights brush hog is maybe 1,600 pounds . Never weight the tractor but I estimate itís probably 8,500 or 9,500 pounds definitely heavier then my truck thatís for sure cause Iíve used it a time or to, pull my truck out a few time and I didnít even feel my truck pull on it . Trailer is probably 4,000 to 4,500 and my truck I have weighed on a cat scale and it was 7,400 pounds with a full tank. So Iím probably 21,000 pounds gcvwr give or take .

The road to the property isnít great for towing. Itís narrow lots of long steep hills to climb. I can only go about 35 mpg max and have to slow down at the crest of the hill at the end cause thereís a sharp turn . So a great way to heat up your truck and trans. Last time with the doorman oem style cooler at the end my trans was 230 and engine was like 215 . I really think the trans getting hot was heating the engine up to . Now earlier today it was hot 86 and sunny and very humid. My trans temp never got above 170 even after climbing the Final big hill engine temp was about 205 ish. Trans was about 140 on the way up on Interstate but as soon as the engine starts to warm up climbing the hills it warms the trans up with it . Definite improvement, Iím much more comfortable with 170 vs 230 . I guarantee if I took the torque converter cooler out of the equation. My temps would be even better. But since it does get below freezing in the winter in West Virginia. I should probably leave it in place . Over all Iím happy with the cooler. With the doorman cooler 160 to 170 unloaded was Normal in the summer mouths . Now all I need is better tuning and a s475 under my cheetah 351. then I can build enough boost to blow the head right through the hood while towing the tractor yeah probably shouldnít temp fate .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode