Truck dies after fass install - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 3rd Gen Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Truck dies after fass install

So I just installed a fass 150 on my 2006 dodge. Truck will crank up runs smoothly for few seconds then dies. Then I can click it over prime to line and it will crank and run a few seconds again. Truck doesn't seem to surge like it has air in the line. Filled tank up to 3/4 and does the same thing? I double checked hoses from tank and r on tanks goes to r on pump and s on tank goes to t on pump. I also noticed that the pump doesn't seem to run smoothly it kind of sounds like its surging. Has anyone had this problem? Do injectors need to be bled?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
long bed quad cab 4x4 2" leveling kit, ride rite air bags, Ranch hand bumper replacement, 4 KC HILites, Ranch hand tool box, B&M turn over ball, Moto Metal 951 wrapped in 315-75R17 BFG all terrains, MRBP 5" turbo back, AFE air filter, AFE Air intake, ATS Exhaust manifold, Smarty Sr., FASS 150, and still working on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Soot Sniffer

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
DO NOT bleed your injectors!!!!! Way too much pressure coming out of your CP3 to try that. You could seriously hurt yourself doing that.

Did you fill your filters before installing them? It sounds a bit like your pump isn't primed.

'07 2500 QCSB 4x4, .020" over, Hamilton Valvetrain, Motorsport fueling, Garrett air, built bottom end, Goerend Transmission.
EFI by Silver Bullet Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOLVR View Post
IMO, the only reasons to run a big single is $$, simplicity, or stupidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D squared View Post
I like DP...lol
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I did not. I watched a video on YouTube and it said that to fill your filters you can leave the hose off to the pump and click the key over and it will fill filters and line. I did that and got fuel to the pump. Do you think that the pump didn't fill them all the way up? Let me try that. Not sure why I didn't think to do that first. What a dumb dumb!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:28 PM
Cummins Fan

i wouldn't fill the filters cause youll get un filter fuel in the wrong part of the filter and run unfliter fuel through your cp3 i'd only do it as a last resort id crack the line going to the cp3 and let the lift pump run a while

2006 2500 Mostly stock
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Cummins Fan

Garage
To make sure ur filters have fuel going threw them can open the water drain on them. The pump does surge a some it hits pressure then backs off a little. Do you have a line pressure gauge to see what the pump is doing.

2003 5.9, II duel CP3, South Bend DD 3600, DDP 180 injectors, smarty So6 tnt, FASS 150gph, stainless diesel 64/80 compounds, ARP headstuds

2016 Bone stock regular cab!!!!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

My fass always fills the filters by itself without leaving them loose. screw them on and bump the starter and it should pressurize the system.

06 5.9, ATS 3000, AFE Intake, 2 Stage Water Meth, EFI Live Starlite tuned, FASS 150, Fuel tank sump, BMS 50hp injectors, ATS H11 studs
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 12:08 AM

had a similar problem with my air dog install, turns out the lines coming from the tank to the pump ended up getting a little crimped under the bed of the truck and would prime the pump and filters but couldn't flow enough fuel once the truck started.

'06 Cummins. TRE trans, other bolt ons…...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 12:58 AM
Banned

Crack the filters and let it prime until you see fuel squirt ever where. Tighten the filters and you should be good to go.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:24 AM
Diesel Freak

Honestly I have a good clean can of diesel that I always fill filters with.... so what cuss me

04 cclb high tech turbo 100 hp nozzles isspro gauges SB DD3250 afe breather ARP studs fass150 bag of parts DSV 33in nittos smarty ats manifold 5in straight pipe
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 AM
Diesel Freak

Unless your pump is cutting in and out you have air in the line fuel=running..... air=not running

04 cclb high tech turbo 100 hp nozzles isspro gauges SB DD3250 afe breather ARP studs fass150 bag of parts DSV 33in nittos smarty ats manifold 5in straight pipe
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Update- I pulled the filters they were full. So I cranked it again truck ran strong for about 5-6 seconds and died, I let is sit and cranked it again same thing for about 5 times in a row and it finally ran. Must have had some built up air in it somewhere. Seems to be fine now. Thanks
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

So as you know I installed a FASS 150 yesterday. I had trouble getting it to run but after about 10 cranks it ran. It cranked up and I drove it about 20 miles today then it cut out. I stopped went in a store and it took roughly 8 cranks to stay running. I limped it home dropped the pump and re-tapped the fittings and checked the lines. Everything is tight. No leaks. Still won’t run. I can crank it and it ran 5 sec. did this multiple times, then it ran 8 sec. repeat process now will run 11 sec. The truck runs strong when it is running. Then dies, like I turned off the switch. Prime the pump crank again and run 11 sec. anyone have a clue what might be causing this?

I have to get it running as I'm out of town and have to work tomorrow.

long bed quad cab 4x4 2" leveling kit, ride rite air bags, Ranch hand bumper replacement, 4 KC HILites, Ranch hand tool box, B&M turn over ball, Moto Metal 951 wrapped in 315-75R17 BFG all terrains, MRBP 5" turbo back, AFE air filter, AFE Air intake, ATS Exhaust manifold, Smarty Sr., FASS 150, and still working on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode