Cowl hood. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cowl hood.

Has anybody used the Cowl Hood that is widely sold on Amazon and pictured on the 3rd gen trucks? Are there any trucks like ours out there that came with a cowl hood that I might find at a junkyard? The reason I ask is that I live in Florida and I have a large steel front replacement bumper that doesn't offer a whole lot of ventilation and I wouldn't mind having some air be able to escape from underneath the engine compartment out over the top of the windshield the draw cooling air through the club sandwich of the oil coolers that we have up front as well as allow some of that air to escape. What I don't want to do is pay $450 or something I'm not sure about I suppose they also make body kits that do the same thing but this truck is my daily driver and I don't have an extra vehicle and I would want to be able to take my time and do it right so I would probably end up taking a regular head from the junkyard anyway. I'm pretty decent wrench but my arts and craft skills are not the best and I would have to see if our structures mechanic what do you want to take some money for it unless of course you guys know of any other options. I also wouldn't mind cutting out a section from the front of the steel bumper to add some kind of expanded metal or other Louver to allow more air to come in I'm cross the coolers because the design of his bumper acts like a bit of an AIR block. Of course if I want the bumper to remain strong I will probably need to weld some pipe in there or something as framework to make it more rigid. So if there are any guys out there with cowl hoods let me know what you think about him let me know where you got them let me know where you think you can get them or let me know if you can think of a good body kit that would match the Contour of our Stock hood. Thank you.

jeepvin likes this.

2004.5 2500 4X4-Unlocked Edge W/Attitude-AirDogFP150-4" Black Diamond Eye turbo-back exhaust-Banks Intake-on3 Intercooler-48RE custom Rebuilt-Zombie proof bumpers. 2011 Tailgate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:24 PM
Cummins Fan

I often wondered if I could do the same thing to help lower engine temps.
The Following User Says Thank You to jon-d For This Useful Post:
PWTurboProps (01-23-2020)
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:36 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,220 Times in 950 Posts
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
I like the “vented hood 2” and want to order this one soon.

https://theviperstore.com/RAM-SRT10_...d_&_Grille.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two second gens with lots of mods and a 3rd gen just getting started
The Following User Says Thank You to ghostman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 02:04 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
I almost bought a carbon fiber SRT hood, but settled on adding my own vents to release the hot air under the hood, and some NACA vents to the fenders to pull the hot air out at driving speeds.

03 QCLB- 19 to 25 mpg with electric parts, and engine mods....
The Following User Says Thank You to Gator1 For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:09 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I have a factory steel SRT-10 hood. It blows onto the valve cover so I doubt its doing much but washing the top of the engine. It has to add some airflow I guess. I've thought about routing it to the air box or the turbo to cool it, but who has the time.

The SRT 10 hood and sport front bumper, aesthetically was the biggest change to the looks of my truck and instantly went from no compliments ever to constant compliments.

2003 Dodge Ram 2500, QCSB, 4x4, Nv4500 w/ mainshaft, Valair clutch, Edge Evo2, AFE Bladerunner, ARP Studs, SRT10 Hood, Sport front, 285 Falkens. Laramie interior. 09 steering. Redhead + Borgenson 275,000 miles and counting + 2013 Ram 5500 4x4 6.7 aisin CC 11' bed
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrome For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:11 AM
Diesel Head

Pictures of the hood & front bumper on the truck, please?

R12 in the summer, Webasto in the winter; cassette tapes & SAE-20078 all year.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:15 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas.5z View Post
Pictures of the hood & front bumper on the truck, please?
Aww shucks I thought youd never ask
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redtruck.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	865471  

2003 Dodge Ram 2500, QCSB, 4x4, Nv4500 w/ mainshaft, Valair clutch, Edge Evo2, AFE Bladerunner, ARP Studs, SRT10 Hood, Sport front, 285 Falkens. Laramie interior. 09 steering. Redhead + Borgenson 275,000 miles and counting + 2013 Ram 5500 4x4 6.7 aisin CC 11' bed
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrome For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 11:49 AM
Diesel Head

That looks great.
Chrome likes this.

R12 in the summer, Webasto in the winter; cassette tapes & SAE-20078 all year.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTurboProps View Post
Has anybody used the Cowl Hood that is widely sold on Amazon and pictured on the 3rd gen trucks? Are there any trucks like ours out there that came with a cowl hood that I might find at a junkyard? The reason I ask is that I live in Florida and I have a large steel front replacement bumper that doesn't offer a whole lot of ventilation and I wouldn't mind having some air be able to escape from underneath the engine compartment out over the top of the windshield the draw cooling air through the club sandwich of the oil coolers that we have up front as well as allow some of that air to escape. What I don't want to do is pay $450 or something I'm not sure about I suppose they also make body kits that do the same thing but this truck is my daily driver and I don't have an extra vehicle and I would want to be able to take my time and do it right so I would probably end up taking a regular head from the junkyard anyway. I'm pretty decent wrench but my arts and craft skills are not the best and I would have to see if our structures mechanic what do you want to take some money for it unless of course you guys know of any other options. I also wouldn't mind cutting out a section from the front of the steel bumper to add some kind of expanded metal or other Louver to allow more air to come in I'm cross the coolers because the design of his bumper acts like a bit of an AIR block. Of course if I want the bumper to remain strong I will probably need to weld some pipe in there or something as framework to make it more rigid. So if there are any guys out there with cowl hoods let me know what you think about him let me know where you got them let me know where you think you can get them or let me know if you can think of a good body kit that would match the Contour of our Stock hood. Thank you.
I have the cervinis srt10 fiberglass hood. It's probably about the best quality fiberglass hood you will find for the 3rd gen but it's far from a paint and bolt on item. It took longer to fill and shape the hood than it did to actually paint it so keep that in mind, it can get expensive in a hurry!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

07 Mineral Grey Megacab 2500 5.9...Anarchy twins, PPE dual fueler, 60% Exergy nozzles, ARP studs, CPP 103# springs, Firepunk comp stage 1, AD 165, Hornblaster Outlaws
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:08 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Yes, I have no experience with fiberglass hoods, theres very cheap versions on Amazon with bad reviews. Just get alot of help installing it. Even with help we bent a corner on my steel one, it weighs sooo much, especially with the aluminum on the grille

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:10 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Aww shucks I thought youd never ask
Damn, like to know the history of that truck.

Original owner?

2015 SLT 3500 CC 68/3.42 SRW Ashtray Delete / EVIC Metric System Deletes 4X4 Bright White with tongue firmly in cheek
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:17 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drle View Post
Damn, like to know the history of that truck.

Original owner?
Lol its got alot of history, 271k miles. It started life here in Preston County as a much different truck. Im the 3rd owner, she never left here. I got it at 210k with injector issues and alot of rust for $2000. It was a base model with manual windows.

I put bosch injectors, headgasket, arp studs, afe turbo, rebuilt the 5 speed, rebuilt the np271. All the balljoints etc. Swapped a Laramie interior in. Rebuilt all the steering from bottom to top.

The hood and front bumper are from some diesel shops old pulling truck that I'm rebuilding at the moment.

Best Mods: Valair Clutch Hydraulics and the Hood/Bumper combo, easily. (Also the Edge for unlocking 4k rev limiter)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode