Mirrors - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Mirrors

Hi All!

I own a 2005 3500 SB SRW, my friend Red owns a 2006 3500 LB SRW. We both agree that the mirrors on these trucks suck in terms of field of view. We both also have broken the folding mechanisms which results in wind blowing them into a folded position the faster we drive.

What are good replacement options? Aftermarket? Iíve also heard the 4th gen mirrors fit the 3rd gen and offer a better field of view? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:25 PM
Cummins Nut

I picked these up like a month ago or so, have really liked them. 4th gen style, think you can also get them with the turn signals if you really want that. I can definitely confirm 4th gen style mirrors have a much better field of view. It's almost a shock to get used to at first because you can see so much more.

My old stock passenger mirror would vibrate at idle, these don't. So far anyway. Also I did have to reuse 1 stock stud per side like the reviews mentioned. Wasn't a big deal to swap.

05 CCLB 48RE
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I picked these up like a month ago or so, have really liked them. 4th gen style, think you can also get them with the turn signals if you really want that. I can definitely confirm 4th gen style mirrors have a much better field of view. It's almost a shock to get used to at first because you can see so much more.

My old stock passenger mirror would vibrate at idle, these don't. So far anyway. Also I did have to reuse 1 stock stud per side like the reviews mentioned. Wasn't a big deal to swap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Awesome...they bolt right up?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:32 PM
Cummins Nut

myself and several others have done the 14 chevy mirror swap. I don't care what you find for these trucks. The chevy mirrors are a HUGE improvement!! there are others out there but I have zero regrets doing the swap. The blind spot mirrors are soooo much better. I can park backing up a lot easier with them and changing lanes is less scary.

2003 Ram
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanss180 View Post
myself and several others have done the 14 chevy mirror swap. I don't care what you find for these trucks. The chevy mirrors are a HUGE improvement!! there are others out there but I have zero regrets doing the swap. The blind spot mirrors are soooo much better. I can park backing up a lot easier with them and changing lanes is less scary.

My buddy Red and I canít see a dang thing backing up. Not many street lights on our island. We are both firefighters and end up going down really ty driveways. Hence why our mirrors are broken.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:55 PM
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_cola_j View Post
Awesome...they bolt right up?

Yeah, they are 4th gen style made for the 3rd gens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_cola_j View Post
My buddy Red and I canít see a dang thing backing up. Not many street lights on our island. We are both firefighters and end up going down really ty driveways. Hence why our mirrors are broken.

Sounds to me like you need to do some flush mount LED lights in the bumper. I did those and even with 5% tint I can see to backup now very easily. I put mine on a switch though so I could control when I use them. No need in a bright city or have them come on during the day.

05 CCLB 48RE
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanss180 View Post
I’ve upgraded to the gen 4 mirrors and I’m still not completely happy. I’ve been spoiled by my work truck, 2011 Ford F-250 PowerStroke. Say what you want about Ford’s but the mirrors are really good. We also have a 16 GMC 2500 Duramax. The mirrors are a close 2nd place. And are both by far better than Ram mirrors.

My question is about the 14 Chevy Mirrors swap. Do they bolt up and you have to splice the wiring for the power movement and defrost, etc.? What all do you need to do for the swap? Also is it just the 2014 model year? I did a quick search on Amazon and it showed some odd model years. Some said 07 to 13 and some said 07 to 14. Other said 14 to 18. Any info you can provide will be appreciated.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:05 AM
Diesel Freak

Not sure if this mirror style "tickles thy fancy"...

https://www.ebay.com/p/1030423622

https://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Accesso...09293/10002/-1

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 QC/DRW Sport
Mods...what mods? I have to pay for it first
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:32 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Here's the 3rd gen write-up for the Chevy mirrors:

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...6-mega-20.html

You'll likely need this Photosukit extension fix for chrome (it should make the photos not blurry since Photoit held them hostage again):

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bifiaedg?hl=en
rc_cola_j likes this.

2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4.Exhaust,Isspro EV2 gauges,SB DD3250-6,intake, Pac Brake, BD 2-piece manifold,leveled,custom front/rear bumpers,Smarty S06 POD,Chevy tow mirror conversion, projector retrofit w/ switchback turns, SRT-10 Hurst shifter,BD short shifter kit,Filters
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 03:21 PM
Cummins Fan

Garage
I went with TYC mirrors and am completely happy with them. They are MUCH more stable than the stock mirrors since they don't flip out. The heat and power function works great.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191026_174955.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	864477  

2003 CCLB RWD
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 04:47 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymasteres View Post
I went with TYC mirrors and am completely happy with them. They are MUCH more stable than the stock mirrors since they don't flip out. The heat and power function works great.
Those don't look like they'd have very good coverage for our trucks...less surface area and closer to the body?
My OEM flip outs didn't vibrate or anything at all. They just had horrible blind spot and reverse coverage.
If you go aftermarket (OEM) style they tend to vibrate with the RPMs. There are def better options out there now for 3rd gen trucks depending the effort you want to put in.

2004.5 2500 QCSB 6sp 4x4.Exhaust,Isspro EV2 gauges,SB DD3250-6,intake, Pac Brake, BD 2-piece manifold,leveled,custom front/rear bumpers,Smarty S06 POD,Chevy tow mirror conversion, projector retrofit w/ switchback turns, SRT-10 Hurst shifter,BD short shifter kit,Filters
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 06:54 PM
Cummins Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krashDH View Post
Those don't look like they'd have very good coverage for our trucks...less surface area and closer to the body?
My OEM flip outs didn't vibrate or anything at all. They just had horrible blind spot and reverse coverage.
If you go aftermarket (OEM) style they tend to vibrate with the RPMs. There are def better options out there now for 3rd gen trucks depending the effort you want to put in.
I guess it boils down to personal preference and technique. If I'm going to tow something huge and visually obstructing I'll get some 1500 series clip on extenders.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Snap-Zap...0700/304782468

I like to have my cake and eat it too. With a clip on set of mirrors I get the advantage of the tow mirror extension when I need it. Without the raging hemorrhoid that is the factory mirror setup.
(There are a lot of residential gates that only give you like 4" of clearance past the factory mirrors)

As for coverage, I would put to you that it's perfectly acceptable. Seeing as they are same mirrors put on the Dodge 1500 series full size pickup. (same body style as our 2500s) If you can't see what you need to, when not towing.... Well then you're doing something wrong.

2003 CCLB RWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode