Bouncing in turns only at highway speeds, depends on the road - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Bouncing in turns only at highway speeds, depends on the road

2005 quad cab long bed.

I have 305/55/20 A/T tires on 20X12 wheels. While making turns at highway speeds, generally around 55mph+, the tire on the drivers side bounces kind of like a pogo stick like bounce. Not super fast bounce and not a vibration. Don't feel anything in the steering wheel but feel the whole truck bouncing. No cupping on the tires.

Things to note, all new in the past 20K miles: front bearings, axle u joints, brakes(calipers, pads, rotors, lines), steering linkage, track bar, control arms, ball joints, shocks, end links, sway bar bushings, steering shaft, gear box, PS pump, one piece aluminum DS.

Now most of that stuff I replaced either to fix an alignment issue from leveling (axle off center) or due to age.

It did the same bouncing prior to all of this work, and with the old tires. Old tires were mud tires the previous owner didn't balance. I had originally assumed that was the problem along with the blocky tread. The new tires, I had trouble finding someone to mount and balance and in the back of my mind I still think that might be the issue as I don't think they were done well.

It seems like the issue got more pronounced when I did aftermarket stiff end links (which may be because I need to fix the adjustment as I think they are 1/8 - 1/4" off)

Guess my question is, would tire balance account for tires bouncing, a slowish bounce, only while making right hand turns on some roads at 55+? Since no one will touch my current setup I've been able to find yet, I was thinking of picking up new wheels in a 20X10 from the cyber monday deals. I'd rather not waste my money if I'm not even in the right ballpark.

Tires have been smooth as can be going straight up to 90mph and it really is hit or miss on what roads cause the bouncing (only ever making a turn), but it's felt the most at one particular turn on the highway that appears to have very smooth asphalt. That same stretch is smooth in my mustang and my dads F-150 for example.

05 CCLB 48RE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Didn't see mention of when Shocks last replaced.
Switch the front tires and see if bounce follows.
rghavana and Broncowilly like this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns

post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryNto View Post
Didn't see mention of when Shocks last replaced.
Switch the front tires and see if bounce follows.
they are in there, last 20K miles. Bilstein 5100s. Including the steering damper I did forget to list.

Rotated and doesn't change. same when it had the mud tires.

If I had to guess, it's usually turns where it shifts the weight to the passenger side while doing 55+. Once the weight lifts off the drivers side it just starts bouncing. Doesn't do that when turning the other way, but I'm not sure I encounter many turns to the left like I do to the right that shift the weight that much.

05 CCLB 48RE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Double check your wheel u joints. I had this EXACT problem my steering would bind up and wheels felt like they were bouncing up and down while turning at speed. Slow moving I couldn’t tell.

My wheel u joints were not that old either and froze up with rust.

06 2500 qc 4x4 long bed, Dynamic 48RE, 4” TBE, s&b intake, leveled 35's, GDP 2 mic filter kit, thuren track bar, one piece driveline, redhead steering box, Carli ball joints, KMC Hoss 18s, EFI live, isspro EV2's, Detroit Tru-trac rear
The Following User Says Thank You to trevdogg67 For This Useful Post:
nosympathy (12-03-2019)
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevdogg67 View Post
Double check your wheel u joints. I had this EXACT problem my steering would bind up and wheels felt like they were bouncing up and down while turning at speed. Slow moving I couldn’t tell.

My wheel u joints were not that old either and froze up with rust.
they've technically been replaced twice, as I worried I made a mistake on the first set. So 3 different u joints all have done it. Set on there when I got it, first spicer set I did, second spicer set I did. First spicer set looked perfect when I removed them. Total waste of time and money lol.

05 CCLB 48RE
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
It does sound like a shock issue.

Bill H.
2003 Ram 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Smarty SO6 395HP tune, Edge CTS, 4” Diamond Eye exhaust
Psalm 83:18 2 Timothy 3:1-5
The Following User Says Thank You to Broncowilly For This Useful Post:
nosympathy (12-03-2019)
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncowilly View Post
It does sound like a shock issue.
are the bilsteins junk? sure seems like everyone loves them and its done this since before i installed them. It "stiffened" up the ride through corners, but I noticed that if I rock the truck, it wobbles back and forth a second before stopping. I'm not sure if this is normal or not for a 3/4 ton truck. My dads F-150 doesn't do that and my mustang doesn't, but two very different vehicles.

05 CCLB 48RE
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Not that I've ever heard. I've only heard good about them but anything mechanical is subject to failure.

Does it bounce more in one direction vs the other? Perhaps a tire with a failing belt or sidewall?

Bill H.
2003 Ram 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Smarty SO6 395HP tune, Edge CTS, 4” Diamond Eye exhaust
Psalm 83:18 2 Timothy 3:1-5
The Following User Says Thank You to Broncowilly For This Useful Post:
nosympathy (12-03-2019)
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:04 AM
Diesel Head

Try drive truck in 4WD a u joint or other front axle issues would be amplified.
Stock sway bar is known to cause wobbles, Thuren/Carli torsion sway bar makes a big difference.
Bilstien are a step above stock shock, I have noticed issues with them and larger tires, temperature , road surface they seem to fade in and out.
tryNto likes this.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
The Following User Says Thank You to rghavana For This Useful Post:
nosympathy (12-03-2019)
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncowilly View Post
Not that I've ever heard. I've only heard good about them but anything mechanical is subject to failure.

Does it bounce more in one direction vs the other? Perhaps a tire with a failing belt or sidewall?
Only when turning right at highway speeds, 2 sets of tires have done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghavana View Post
Try drive truck in 4WD a u joint or other front axle issues would be amplified.
Stock sway bar is known to cause wobbles, Thuren/Carli torsion sway bar makes a big difference.
Bilstien are a step above stock shock, I have noticed issues with them and larger tires, temperature , road surface they seem to fade in and out.
Not a u joint issue, does it with front DS out, front axles have been replaced twice to be safe, rear was swapped to a 1 piece 5" with 1480 joints. I use 4wd often as I have had to transport 40,000+ gallons of water this past summer all over 15 acres.

I hadn't really seriously looked at those sway bars because of the costs, but imagine I could remove the sway bar or unhook one side and see if the issue goes away. I know the bushings didn't look great but seemed solid. Maybe I'll try replacing those first. I know previous owner put moog in right before I got it, I am sure like most moog stuff anymore they are not that great.

$500+ for a way bar for my beater vehicle is hard to stomach when I can buy a fully adjustable set with new adjustable end links for my fun car that's 11 years newer for that price lol.

What is recommended for a shock then? The carli signature shocks?

05 CCLB 48RE
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Diesel Head

When you got aligned after all the front end work,,,, was there a substantial difference in side to side castor IE : bent/tweaked diff tubes/housing .

Seems there is always some difference , but shouldn't be huge.

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
The Following User Says Thank You to 24hrsparkey For This Useful Post:
nosympathy (12-03-2019)
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
When you got aligned after all the front end work,,,, was there a substantial difference in side to side castor IE : bent/tweaked diff tubes/housing .

Seems there is always some difference , but shouldn't be huge.
Not that I remember, alignment sheet looked pretty normal.

05 CCLB 48RE
The Following User Says Thank You to nosympathy For This Useful Post:
24hrsparkey (12-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode