2007 Ram body restoration - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes
  • 1 Post By 5.9HO6spd
  • 1 Post By 5.9HO6spd
  • 1 Post By Grit dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
2007 Ram body restoration

I have a 2007 Ram 2500 5.9 with the 6spd. I love this truck, use it to pull my camper. It’s time to get the body redone. I’d like to replace the doors, tailgate and rockers done. Painted black.

Anyone know someone who’s familiar with doing this to these trucks? Not looking for show quality, but definitely want it to last at least 5/6 years no issues.

utahtrapper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:23 AM
Diesel Head

Subscribe for future
What state and city do you call home
It always helps to fill out your Signature.
What is specifically wrong with the doors, tailgate, and rockers

2006 Blue Laramie DRW. 3500 5.9 G56 Mobil Delvac 50, Tans Cool PTO Covers, GDP Fuel Boss, GDP Double-X Ladder Bars, GPD big line kit, GDP MK-2 Fuel filter kit with CAT UHE 416 1225, GDP Power-Flo Intake Manifold, Throttle Up Industries Dual Fuel Filters, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cool Hose, Timbrens, 26k with Horses in Trailer, ................... BBi's .5 Towing Injectors WOW!
Carli Ball Joints
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Utahtrapper, I live in upstate NY, but am not afraid to travel to get the truck done right. I’ll be on a road trip for 6 months with my camper and could coincide the trip with the project
utahtrapper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Diesel Head

So you're looking for a body shop recommendation?
Maybe get a few good recommendations on here. But the work is not even remotely Dodge specific, however a good shop is a good shop.

Presuming it's rusted out and seems strange that if the doors, tailgates and rockers are rusted out, the bed and front fenders aren't far behind.
If your traveling, I would suggest sourcing the (used) parts somewhere where it doesn't rust. That will be a big advantage here. Rockers/cab corners, sure you have to cut them out and patch in. The rest of the body parts are simple bolt on and used OE rust free is your best bet quality and economically I believe.
Where you live, finding a rust free bed for a 10-20 year old pickup is probably scarce or expensive. Out here in the PNW, those parts are available with much less or typically no rust depending which side of the mountains the car lived on.
Example: Just hit local CL, typed Ram Box and there's a 2007 rust free, bedliner-d, with tailgate truck box for $800

Bet you could pick up a whole new truck body for under $2k.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Yes, a body shop recommendation. There’s no one around here that I know will do my truck. They all do older classic cars/trucks. I’d love to have diesel brothers do it but I’m sure there are plenty of people just as good or better that won’t cost a fraction of what they would
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9HO6spd View Post
Id love to have diesel brothers do it
No you wouldn't....they cut so many corners you'd be lucky if your truck ever left their shop.

A good body man should be able to do it. Theres no reason a classic car place can't do it, but your local body shop should be able to handle it no problem. The hardest thing is the painting, and getting it to match your faded paint. But a good painter who knows how to fade it correctly will make it so you'd never know. Honestly some of the classic car guys would be a good place to start. even if they say no, they'll know who in the area is a good place to go to.

2018 Ram 3500 Limited - Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 SRW Stock at the moment, but that will change
Make your puddle lights great again!
SUPPORT SITE VENDORS, THEY MAKE ALL THIS POSSIBLE
HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 AM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit dog View Post
The rest of the body parts are simple bolt on and used OE rust free is your best bet quality and economically I believe.
If OE was so good, why did it all rot out so quickly to begin with! Haha. OK. I'm bitter too.

Electric Blue '07 Mega 2500 5.9 -- Thuren (3" Coils | Overland Shocks | End Links | Leaf Shackles) | Carli (Track Bar | Ball Joints) | PSC Hydro Assist | Mopar T-style | Metal Cloak +1/2" Control Arms | Fuel Hostage 17x9 -12mm | Toyo M/T 37x13.5-17
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:25 PM
Diesel Head

Well, judging by your location (PA), your truck, regardless of brand is only going to fare as well as the care it gets and how much/how long it resides in the winter salt baths.
IDK, if Dodge is any worse. I grew up in the upper midwest and even today, seeing a rust free 10-15 year old truck usually means it wasn't driven all winter every winter or it came form somewhere else.

Can't say I miss it, btw.
By comparison, I jsut bought a 2001 Chevy out here, been in the PNW it's whole life and didn't look like it was impeccably maintained. Zero body cancer inside or out and only paint flaking on some underbody parts like bumper brackets.
Had a '94 a few years ago, from here, no rust, just a thick coat of moss and pine needles preserving the paint from UV damage! lol

When I retire, I might just buy rust free old trucks and cars and haul them back east. Friends back there can't believe when I roll up in a 13 year old truck with zero rust!
Dave88LX likes this.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 10:01 PM
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit dog View Post
Well, judging by your location (PA), your truck, regardless of brand is only going to fare as well as the care it gets and how much/how long it resides in the winter salt baths.
IDK, if Dodge is any worse. I grew up in the upper midwest and even today, seeing a rust free 10-15 year old truck usually means it wasn't driven all winter every winter or it came form somewhere else.

Can't say I miss it, btw.
By comparison, I jsut bought a 2001 Chevy out here, been in the PNW it's whole life and didn't look like it was impeccably maintained. Zero body cancer inside or out and only paint flaking on some underbody parts like bumper brackets.
Had a '94 a few years ago, from here, no rust, just a thick coat of moss and pine needles preserving the paint from UV damage! lol

When I retire, I might just buy rust free old trucks and cars and haul them back east. Friends back there can't believe when I roll up in a 13 year old truck with zero rust!
"I wish I knew then what I know now"...

Electric Blue '07 Mega 2500 5.9 -- Thuren (3" Coils | Overland Shocks | End Links | Leaf Shackles) | Carli (Track Bar | Ball Joints) | PSC Hydro Assist | Mopar T-style | Metal Cloak +1/2" Control Arms | Fuel Hostage 17x9 -12mm | Toyo M/T 37x13.5-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode