MPG vs new trucks - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADERPOWER View Post
As of right now, I can do over 800 plus miles per tank at 55mph easy. Keys to this,
Tire pressure I. E. Max the fronts, at least 65min. Rear.
Weight, with my 2wd, qc sb, with weight removed, I'm at 5950lbs. with a 1/4 tank of fuel.
Speed, anything over 60mph is killing you.
From a stop, never go over 6/8 pounds of boost, ever.
Tuning, fo sho, it truly does help tons, I just have a old smarty jr set on kill( max on all settings except torque management). Just abideing by those will help your mileage YUGE. From there, its the devil in the details like Steve has done exceptionally well.
True story, but I won't live long enough to drive freeways at 55-60mph! For fcks sakes, I'd have another birthday before I got to work in the morning driving like that!
And, I'd get flipped off and run off the road if I was trying to perfect my 10 second 0-30 time away from every stoplight and my how low of rpms can I possibly run in OD without lugging the engine strategy.

steve05ram360 and utahtrapper like this.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grit dog For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (10-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:49 PM
Cummins Fan

My 04.5 QCSB NV5600 on 37s, 6 inch lift and 4.56 gears managed just over 18 MPG hand calc'd. RPMS were between 2100-2250 speed was around 70ish MPH and cruise control was on.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I just got to witness a good mpg test of my truck compared to a Ď17 F350 short box. A group of us has made a trek from western Washington to southeast Wyoming a few times to hunt. I have always taken my truck and towed my 27í Enclosed trailer filled with quads, wall tent, freezers, and all the rest of our gear. I have consistently achieved 10.5-11 mpg, hand calculated on every trip. My truck has done this trip 5 times. Speeds are generally 75-85 mph. Empty, my road trips generate 18.5 mpg, but everyday mixed driving I am right at 14.5 mpg.
Well this year, we took my buddies new to him Ď17 Ford and my trailer. His truck has 35k on it and is completely stock. Our mileage there and back was a pretty solid 9.5 mpg. Truck pulled the load easily through all the passes, though it was obvious mine was putting more power to the ground. I really thought the mileage would be a little higher for some reason, but it still was a pretty good comparison test. I did all the mpg checks, hand calculated, and was suprised to see his display was always right on with my calculations, if it was not exact, it was off by .1. My Dodge isnít even close.

'03 3500 SRW QC Laramie LB, Smarty S-06 W/TNT, DDP 90's, ED 63/68/14, Arson III, DTT Trans, Goerend TC, 4" exh, AFE Int, Walbro Fuel Pump, Gauges (fuel, boost, pyro, trans temp, rail), 4.10's, Thuren 3" springs & TB, BOD control arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aogmitch View Post
I just got to witness a good mpg test of my truck compared to a ‘17 F350 short box. A group of us has made a trek from western Washington to southeast Wyoming a few times to hunt. I have always taken my truck and towed my 27’ Enclosed trailer filled with quads, wall tent, freezers, and all the rest of our gear. I have consistently achieved 10.5-11 mpg, hand calculated on every trip. My truck has done this trip 5 times. Speeds are generally 75-85 mph. Empty, my road trips generate 18.5 mpg, but everyday mixed driving I am right at 14.5 mpg.
Well this year, we took my buddies new to him ‘17 Ford and my trailer. His truck has 35k on it and is completely stock. Our mileage there and back was a pretty solid 9.5 mpg. Truck pulled the load easily through all the passes, though it was obvious mine was putting more power to the ground. I really thought the mileage would be a little higher for some reason, but it still was a pretty good comparison test. I did all the mpg checks, hand calculated, and was suprised to see his display was always right on with my calculations, if it was not exact, it was off by .1. My Dodge isn’t even close.
Interesting. My work truck is a Ford and it consistently gets better mileage than my Ram and the Ford has more power (both stock) one of my biggest complaints with the Ram is the inaccurate EVIC when compared to how accurate the Ford has always been. Good to see I’m not the only one to notice that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode