Off Set Ball Joints - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Off Set Ball Joints

Hey guys. What’s the deal with these BJs? I’ve read people do them and it’s no big deal, and I’ve read they should only be needed if the inner C is bent and the BJ is a band aid fix for this. I’m asking because my 06 has an offset on the passenger side from the previous owner. I’d like to put in some EMF BJs in the next couple months, but they don’t make an offset that I’ve seen. Besides I’d rather not have one if I don’t need it. Or if they are only for bent axle housings I’d like to know that and get to fixing or replacing what I need to. Thank in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE0EBFAD-2145-4751-B4DC-5FC6091076D9_1568477007565.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	684.4 KB
ID:	856483  

2006 2500 Mega Cab - Currently a basket case in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:06 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Have the front end alignment checked and if itís all correct then chances are you need the offset upper ball joint.

Iím in that predicament right now. Mine is 6 to 8 degrees off and I need a .5 degree upper ball joint. The problem is most of your upper end manufacturers donít make offset joints. Moot lists a 1.0 and a 1.5 in their upper end Problem Solver line.

Do you know what degree offset you have? If itís 1.0 or more I donít think you will be able to get away with not using one. If itís a .5 you might not have to use one.

Bill H.
2003 Ram 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Smarty SO6 395HP tune, Edge CTS, 4Ē Diamond Eye exhaust
Psalm 83:18 2 Timothy 3:1-5
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have no idea what the degree offset is. I did hear one explanation that control arms that are too short throw the caster off enough that the camber is affected. Then alignment shops resort to an offset balljoint to compensate for the caster bolt not being able to adjust enough for the lift. I’m hoping it’s that, since there is a 5” lift and some sort of adjustable short arms. I just don’t see how the factory would be so far off on the camber that an offset BJ would be needed. Something would have to be bent or just out of spec somewhere. Are you running any kind of lift on your rig? I’m on my phone and can’t see sigs if you have it listed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCrew View Post
I have no idea what the degree offset is. I did hear one explanation that control arms that are too short throw the caster off enough that the camber is affected. Then alignment shops resort to an offset balljoint to compensate for the caster bolt not being able to adjust enough for the lift. Iím hoping itís that, since there is a 5Ē lift and some sort of adjustable short arms. I just donít see how the factory would be so far off on the camber that an offset BJ would be needed. Something would have to be bent or just out of spec somewhere. Are you running any kind of lift on your rig? Iím on my phone and canít see sigs if you have it listed.
I have a 2Ē leveling kit on mine. The lift doesnít have anything to do with camber. A lift can affect caster if the control arm is too short or too long.

In this picture you can see why an offset upper ball joint affects the camber.

Bill H.
2003 Ram 2500 4X4 Quad Cab Smarty SO6 395HP tune, Edge CTS, 4Ē Diamond Eye exhaust
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
How would a 2” level kit make you need them though? We have a solid front axle. Unless the housing or knuckle were bent the offset would be adjusting a non adjustable factory spec. If camber was supposed to be adjustable Mopar would have an appropriate BJ right?

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Again, lift or leveling kits do not affects camber on a straight axle.

Parts wear, stress and are assembled differently. Yes, it could be that the axle tube is bent or stressed. Considering the miles some of these trucks have on them and what they are put through anything is possible.
rghavana likes this.

Bill H.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:29 PM
Diesel Head

How are the tires wearing? What is the camber, visually and on a rack?
If the camber is good, with the offset bj, then for whatever reason, you need one.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
What is the factory specs (or even better a more narrow spec) for camber? I think I’m going to go have it checked this week the tires look awful but the guy before me let the track bar bushings get so bad that I could see through them. That on top of popping BJs and some other click I can’t seem to locate makes me attribute the tires to a poorly maintained front end.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Camber should be zero. As with toe. On a solid axle truck, that's how its supposed to be.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1994 Buick Roadmaster Sedan 'Betsy' LT1-4L60E, Every Option Good Old Fashioned Lead-Sled
2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie Every Option - ATS S3|FASS 150|DDP 50HP|S&B Intake|4"TBE|CTS2|EFI
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Detroit Axle makes adjustable uppers for our trucks. I have a full set of Detroit Axle ball joints in and so far so good. Make sure you go to a reputable alignment shop though. Some will just fudge the numbers so the don't have to mess with turning the uppers.

Advertising link removed by staff
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 01:29 AM

I have a leveling kit in 06 Dodge Ram 2500, one wheel had negative camber so I threw in an SPC offset and now it is fully in spec... does it drive any better you ask, well no, but I feel better about it.

2006 Crew cab Laramie, Rancho 9k's, leveled, Nitto ridge grapplers 35x12.50x17, Mishimoto trans cooler, Carli end links, Thuren trackbar, 09 steering upgrade, built trans, Iron cross bumpers front & rear, Warn 12k winch, Bully dog tuner, KC flex 20 light bar.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:36 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklarsen View Post
I have a leveling kit in 06 Dodge Ram 2500, one wheel had negative camber so I threw in an SPC offset and now it is fully in spec... does it any better to drive you ask, well no, but I feel better about it.
However, the leveling kit does not affect camber at all on a straight axle. Lift and leveling kits affect caster.

Bill H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode