Shocks - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
To piggyback on this thread, for washboard roads or hard dips, what one will give the best ride for the price? The Overlands I have do about as well as Bilsteins do in these two situtations, horribly. After a second of washboard road, the trucks front end just starts bouncing.

06 Mega Laramie 4x4 - Anarchy EFI live, CTS monitor, Thuren track back, 3" Soft ride springs, Overland shocks, EMF Ball Joints, 08.5 steering, steering brace, Lots of plans, lack of $$$ | 99 Dodge 2500 4X4 AT QC/swb, a few goodies, 12.37 @ 112.9 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
IIRC, reservoir shocks are almost a necessity for heavy washboard roads because cavitation will get the best of the oil in no time if you dont have a res. Fox 2.0s with resis are probably your best bet. Not too expensive.

Problem with washboard is that you really do need the bigger body to help displace more fluid over the valving. The little double chamber shocks with 1.5 or small valve pistons arent crap at anything because they simply dont displace enough fluid and overheat/cavitate quickly. IFP is a bare minimum on a truck shock. Everything else is just good money after bad.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie - FASS150 - VB BY DYNAMIC - 2" THUREN SUSPENSION - 13.8s 1/4 - MM3 - STOCK INTAKE AND EXHAUST.. WERE RECYCLED, YEAH THAT. - AMPs - LOTS MORE STUFF SOON
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelonas View Post
IIRC, reservoir shocks are almost a necessity for heavy washboard roads because cavitation will get the best of the oil in no time if you dont have a res. Fox 2.0s with resis are probably your best bet. Not too expensive.

Problem with washboard is that you really do need the bigger body to help displace more fluid over the valving. The little double chamber shocks with 1.5 or small valve pistons arent crap at anything because they simply dont displace enough fluid and overheat/cavitate quickly. IFP is a bare minimum on a truck shock. Everything else is just good money after bad.

Thanks, and that was what I figured. Went from Bilsteins, to Overlands, zero improvement on washboards. Guess I'll look into the resi style shocks. The truck isn't fun to drive on the roads around where I live, the harsh bumps are way too harsh, and the I feel like the front end is about to get air on washboards

06 Mega Laramie 4x4 - Anarchy EFI live, CTS monitor, Thuren track back, 3" Soft ride springs, Overland shocks, EMF Ball Joints, 08.5 steering, steering brace, Lots of plans, lack of $$$ | 99 Dodge 2500 4X4 AT QC/swb, a few goodies, 12.37 @ 112.9 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:55 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaborbag View Post
Thanks, and that was what I figured. Went from Bilsteins, to Overlands, zero improvement on washboards. Guess I'll look into the resi style shocks. The truck isn't fun to drive on the roads around where I live, the harsh bumps are way too harsh, and the I feel like the front end is about to get air on washboards
I just need some washboard roads to test my fronts out on. The rear is horrible now!!

2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie - FASS150 - VB BY DYNAMIC - 2" THUREN SUSPENSION - 13.8s 1/4 - MM3 - STOCK INTAKE AND EXHAUST.. WERE RECYCLED, YEAH THAT. - AMPs - LOTS MORE STUFF SOON
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:56 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Any washboard road determines a speed you can drive at, it's just not the speed you want to go.
24hrsparkey and rghavana like this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 07:59 PM
Cummins Fan

I have a stretch of highway near me and I've tried going anywhere from 55 - 80mph, bounces at any speed, thought its a little less harsh at slower speeds. Sometimes I think its also the wheelbase not helping.

post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryNto View Post
Any washboard road determines a speed you can drive at, it's just not the speed you want to go.
That's kind of an incorrect blanket statement to make. It really depends on setup. With stock type suspension, you will only be able to go so fast, yes. With bypass shocks, you could probably do just about any reasonable speed from 0 to 70 or 80. It really gets down to how much money you spend honestly.

You dont redefine physics, you just twist it with money.

Same with building engines. You cant make 1500hp on a stock Cummins engine, you could with a billet and blueprinted one(aka money).

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:52 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
OK, But a real washboard road is going to have an effect no matter what you spend, you can just go faster with more $$.
Depending on the spacing of the washboard, sometimes faster is smoother.
rghavana and smelonas like this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns

Last edited by tryNto; 09-17-2019 at 08:59 PM.
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:26 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryNto View Post
OK, But a real washboard road is going to have an effect no matter what you spend, you can just go faster with more $$.
Depending on the spacing of the washboard, sometimes faster is smoother.
Guys it's a VERY Heavy suspension . The unstrung weight must be hundreds of pounds . Sooo much different than say a race vehicle .
So a washboard long section Will determine your speed unfortunately .

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode