Anti-gel - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I'm not new to the diesel world, however I'm new to it in an area that gets 20-30 below, with no problem. I've done some research and found that there are a million different additives that all claim to be the best. From what you guys have used, what is the best option, in your opinion, for anti-gel additives to keep your fuel flowing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:08 AM
Diesel Head

I've had good luck with Howes and Power Service.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Diesel Head

I use Power Service Diesel Kleen. Gray bottle in the summer, white bottle in winter and a spare bottle of PS 911 in the truck for emergencies. I've also used Optilube but it's a bit more expensive.
ffg and usmc616 like this.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSWA View Post
I use Power Service Diesel Kleen. Gray bottle in the summer, white bottle in winter and a spare bottle of PS 911 in the truck for emergencies. I've also used Optilube but it's a bit more expensive.
Same here. Coldest day last winter was -25f and the truck started with ease.

2005 Ram2500 5.9L/G56 4x4 quad cab.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:50 PM
Diesel Head

You don't need any anti-gel if you are buying fuel in the region where those temperatures are normal/expected. Winter fuel is treated for the area.
There are exceptions, but they're rare.
Once in Denver, all the diesels gelled up about 10 years ago. Got a -30 cold snap and it was later determined that the local fuel was only being treated to -10F. I was working in Denver, all our equipment gelled up. Not a bottle of 911 to be had by 8am, trucks scattered on the sides of the roads everywhere. I drove up into the mountains and bought a couple cases of 911 for the job. Probably could have made some bank driving around town selling it for $50 a bottle!

Other places to look out for are particularly low alt warm climates that are near mountains. IE you could buy fuel in Vegas and gel up in Utah because you could make it there in 1 tank of fuel. There's actually signs on I -15 going North out of Mesquite NV that they sell winter blend fuel. Last winter we were down in Vegas/Mesquite and then went up to Park City. 70 deg 1 day, -15 that night. I ran anti gel because I still had some desert fuel in the truck when I filled up on the way up to SLC.
tryNto and CTD NUT like this.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Diesel Freak

I was working in Leadville CO a few years ago. I was filling up in Grand Junction (cheapest fuel on my drive), and making a round trip to Leadville and back to GJ for fuel for my drive back to Utah. I used Howes, mixed it just as the bottle recommends. Typically saw -20 to -30 at 11400' elevation.

I carried a little plastic measuring cup with me. I marked it with 10g, 20g, and 30g marks, so I could quickly measure out the additive based on my tank fill while at the pump.
rghavana likes this.

2005 2500 QCLB, BigHorn, 48RE/3.73, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer, TransGo Shift Kit, GDP 20/2 fuel filter on the frame, ISSPro EV2 Oil and LP Pressure in the cubby hole, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:15 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit dog View Post
You don't need any anti-gel if you are buying fuel in the region where those temperatures are normal/expected. Winter fuel is treated for the area.

There are exceptions, but they're rare.I ran anti gel because I still had some desert fuel in the truck when I filled up on the way up to SLC.
I'm a prime example of being an exception. Not driving my 3500 all that often (it is a tow vehicle after all) and having 74 gallons on board, I frequently end up running summer fuel in the winter, and vice versa.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Once in Denver, all the diesels gelled up about 10 years ago. Got a -30 cold snap and it was later determined that the local fuel was only being treated to -10F. I was working in Denver, all our equipment gelled up. Not a bottle of 911 to be had by 8am, trucks scattered on the sides of the roads everywhere. I drove up into the mountains and bought a couple cases of 911 for the job. Probably could have made some bank driving around town selling it for $50 a bottle!

Other places to look out for are particularly low alt warm climates that are near mountains. IE you could buy fuel in Vegas and gel up in Utah because you could make it there in 1 tank of fuel. There's actually signs on I -15 going North out of Mesquite NV that they sell winter blend fuel. Last winter we were down in Vegas/Mesquite and then went up to Park City. 70 deg 1 day, -15 that night. I ran anti gel because I still had some desert fuel in the truck when I filled up on the way up to SLC.
You're probably totally right. I never thought of that and I have no idea why lol. There's no way they are selling untreated diesel up here! It would gel up in their pumps.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Don't be so sure there. I've seen plenty of #1 fuel gel before. My 3rd gen hasn't ever gelled on me but it was a regular fight with my 1st gen prior to the Piston lift pump conversion. Of course, I'm talking about temps of -45* and colder for weeks at a time.

I use Stanadyne performance formula and Walmart 2-stroke all winter long and rarely have issues. Power service in a pinch if I didn't pack my Stanadyne for a trip.

'07 Ram 2500 5.9l
4x4/48re
AFE Stage 1 Intake, 5" TB Exhaust HBS level and steering brace.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 AM
Diesel Freak

I use/vote for Power Service

https://powerservice.com/psp_product...iAAEgLwNPD_BwE

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 QC/DRW Sport
Mods...what mods? I have to pay for it first
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3500 View Post
Thanks!!! That's a pretty cool breakdown they did as to what does what and when to use it.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,441 Times in 2,514 Posts
Fuel can be hit or miss. How often the station fills their tanks. How well is it blended. Not all fuel is the same, they have different blends. I've been mid winter in a northern state and had fuel gel. Dont count on the fuel station to get it right.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode