Anti-gel - Page 3 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Diesel Head

Thanked 3,450 Times in 2,521 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy N. View Post
There are lots to pick from out there, and I don't think I've heard of one that doesn't work when it comes to prevent gelling.

If you throw how they deal with water, the lubricity and such, into the mix you have plenty to read up on.
Surely you aren't suggesting doing independent research?

Jimmy N. likes this.

Scooty Puff Sr - 2016 3500 CCLB
Truckasaurus - 2010 2500 CCSB -sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Diesel Head

Here's what Cummins thinks about it.

https://www.cummins.com/news/release...een-cetane-and

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:59 PM

Agreed, I just use Stanadyne because its easy to find here, don't go out and buy it because of my post...hahaha

2005 QC LB 4x4 CTD Laramie. Bone stock, one owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

I have no problem doing research and have done quite a bit. After a while, you start hearing the same thing over and over. "This is the best product because" lines get old.
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSWA View Post
Here's what Cummins thinks about it.

https://www.cummins.com/news/release...een-cetane-and
That's actually a really good article!
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:31 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrien34 View Post
I have no problem doing research and have done quite a bit. After a while, you start hearing the same thing over and over. "This is the best product because" lines get old.
What I had in mind was various places doing testing, presenting the results in chart form, and then the pros and cons can be weighed by you.

Yes, most of them have the same 25 or so listed, but the results aren't always quite the same.
What looks like a top contender in one test may not do so well in another...more research for you.

Since you wrote "...hearing the same thing..." it could be because you rely on You Tube.
I wouldn't.

Maybe if we start telling people that the brain is an app, they will start using it?

'14 1500 V6, '17 3500 C&C, plus a '19 3500 6.4 in the household.
post #31 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 02:21 PM
Cummins Nut

Run Howeís or power services in my class 8 trucks. I know they start to blend diesel fuel up here and tbh my truck returns enough fuel that the tanks are warm. But water gets in fuel and filters. I use it and never froze up. Others have around me that donít. Good enough for me. Power services is white in winter grey in summer. And 911 for emergency lol but donít use it.
post #32 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:35 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilowatt View Post
Terrible advice right here. Mine gelled up last winter on a fresh tank, first time in 15 years of running the truck as a daily in "northern" Canada. Root cause? I added a remote fuel filter kit with a finer media which trapped the fine ice/wax particulate which normally passed through the stock filter. So, the finer your filtration is, the more susceptible you are to freeze up.

Also, winter diesel is not treated, it has the same additives that summer diesel has. In colder months refineries optimize production to produce a lighter diesel blend (specific gravity) which has a lower cloud/pour points. It also contains lower BTU's.
So since your truck gelled up once in 15 years in one of the coldest climates on the planet, it's bad advice?
ROFLMAO.....You even quoted the part about there being exceptions.
And, presuming you're an oil expert up there in the patch, maybe read up on different types of winter diesel. Some are #1/#2 blend, some are additives to #2.
I'm a shadetree diesel exspurt too. Have had diesels from the N Slope to SE AK, Cascades, Rockies, upper midwest. That about covers cold climates on this continent anyway. I've pre-emptively added anti gel additives a few times when record cold snaps and truck parked outside getting cold soaked, or driving from one climate to another but it's not necessary in the vast majority of conditions.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #33 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilowatt View Post
Terrible advice right here. Mine gelled up last winter on a fresh tank, first time in 15 years of running the truck as a daily in "northern" Canada. Root cause? I added a remote fuel filter kit with a finer media which trapped the fine ice/wax particulate which normally passed through the stock filter. So, the finer your filtration is, the more susceptible you are to freeze up.

Also, winter diesel is not treated, it has the same additives that summer diesel has. In colder months refineries optimize production to produce a lighter diesel blend (specific gravity) which has a lower cloud/pour points. It also contains lower BTU's.
So since your truck gelled up once in 15 years in one of the coldest climates on the planet, it's bad advice?
ROFLMAO.....You even quoted the part about there being exceptions.
And, presuming you're an oil expert up there in the patch, maybe read up on different types of winter diesel. Some are #1/#2 blend, some are additives to #2.
I'm a shadetree diesel exspurt too. Have had diesels from the N Slope to SE AK, Cascades, Rockies, upper midwest. That about covers cold climates on this continent anyway. I've pre-emptively added anti gel additives a few times when record cold snaps and truck parked outside getting cold soaked, or driving from one climate to another but it's not necessary in the vast majority of conditions.
I'm in fairbanks and eagle river!!
post #34 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:40 PM
Diesel Head

^^ And I'm jealous!
We lived in ER for about a year n a half when I had a project on the Slope. I'd move back in a heartbeat.
Pro tip, go to Mikes Meats. Cheaper than the grocery store and better meat!
And S&P auto in ER is an honest fair priced repair shop, or at least they were a few years ago.
Diagnosed my bad injectors for $100 and then suggested I could do it cheaper at home since I sounded like I knew what I was talking about. But he was only going to charge $100 a piece labor.
Also was the only shop that didn't try to rip me off when I needed a clutch replaced. No tools, had just shipped our goods back to the L48 and clutch took a dump.
I mail ordered a new clutch (at his recommendation, again, it'l be cheaper if you buy the parts than if I buy them and you'll get what you want) and picked the truck up a couple months later when I came back up from WA to work. Great shop.
Got to know lots of folks in and around town there, just a great place to live.
Oh, and never put any anti gel additive in the truck in Eagle River either.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #35 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:25 PM
Diesel Head

Eagle River and especially Fairbanks can get pretty cold. My personal Alaska record was -38 in Wasilla. Brother lives in Eagle River so I've been up there a lot. Everything he drives is plugged in during the winter. I would definitely be running an additive like PS or Optilube XPD, and carrying some PS 911 with me. I run the heated version of the FASS Titanium since the weather gets pretty cold here as well. I don't take any chances on fuel gelling. I've had too many bad experiences trying to get frozen equipment and vehicles to start in the winter. Miserable work under bad conditions. Hate using ether and don't like that hammering sound when they finally do start. It seems that winter exploits every weakness in your vehicle.
Jimmy N. likes this.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #36 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 11:14 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I just use the stuff that comes out of the pump here. Never had a gelling issue ever in 20 years of running diesels. It gets down to -45įC (-49įf) here every year at least once. -40 is a regular hits several times, and -30 is fairly normal for winter.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to dawizman For This Useful Post:
Grogg (08-29-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode