Upgrade from Edge Insight CTS to CTS2 -- Any Extra Parts Needed? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade from Edge Insight CTS to CTS2 -- Any Extra Parts Needed?

I have had the Edge Insight CTS on my truck for over 5 years now. I am thinking to upgrade to the CTS2 for the bigger screen and more layout options.

The add-ons I have on the CTS are an EGT probe and a fuel pressure input. I know that the CTS2 uses an HDMI cable as opposed to the old style of plugs on my CTS. My question is, will my two add-ons hook up to the CTS2 with the cables and so on that are in the box? Or would I need to buy any extra cables, etc from Edge to do the switch?

Thanks in advance for any info or tips.

04.5 QCSB 4x4, 156K, 2nd Owner, Pacbrake, Airbags with onboard compressor, CTS Insight gauge w/Backup Camera, Smarty Jr tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Diesel Head

I was looking at the same upgrade. Called Edge to price out the parts needed and was disappointed to learn I would have to buy a new EGT probe to match the new interface. I wanted to do a fuel pressure sensor as well. All the new parts to install the Edge CTS2 made it cost prohibitive to me for a modest upgrade. If you give them a call at 888-360-3343, they'll will give you a complete list of parts needed and pricing. They had a trade in program a while back. You could also sell your current setup to cover part of the cost. I still might get one for the larger screen and faster boot up time.
Broncowilly likes this.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
The Following User Says Thank You to MDSWA For This Useful Post:
Dudeonthenet (07-17-2019)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, MDSWA. I'll do as you suggest and give Edge Insight a call. That's kind of a bummer. Probably they designed the CTS2 so you couldn't use the extras that worked with the CTS, and would have to buy all new extras. I didn't know that the CTS2 had a quicker boot up time, so that is good to know.

I'd still like to do the upgrade, but will have to look into the total cost. Yes, could sell the CTS with the accessories if I make the upgrade.

04.5 QCSB 4x4, 156K, 2nd Owner, Pacbrake, Airbags with onboard compressor, CTS Insight gauge w/Backup Camera, Smarty Jr tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Diesel Freakazoid

Garage
Yeah, when they released the CTS2 they had a trade in / upgrade deal. if you sweet talk the right person they will probably find a way to make something happen for ya.

2018 Ram 3500 Limited - Crew Cab Long Box 4x4 SRW Stock at the moment, but that will change

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSWA View Post
I was looking at the same upgrade. Called Edge to price out the parts needed and was disappointed to learn I would have to buy a new EGT probe to match the new interface. I wanted to do a fuel pressure sensor as well. All the new parts to install the Edge CTS2 made it cost prohibitive to me for a modest upgrade. If you give them a call at 888-360-3343, they'll will give you a complete list of parts needed and pricing. They had a trade in program a while back. You could also sell your current setup to cover part of the cost. I still might get one for the larger screen and faster boot up time.
Good news! I don't know why they told you that, but you were misinformed by whomever you spoke to at Edge. I purchased an Edge CTS2 #84130, and just switched it out with my Edge CTS. I was very happy to find that it was basically simple plug and play! The CTS as you know, has two cables that plug in the back. The cable with the large plug goes to the OBD2 port, and the cable with the small plug goes through the firewall into my engine compartment, where I have two Edge add-ons: an EGT probe and a fuel pressure device connected to the fuel input on my CP3.

I removed the CTS monitor and the cable that ran down to the OBD2 port. I ran the new cable, which has an HDMI plug that plugs into the back of the CTS2 with the OBD2 plug on the other end. There is also a small female plug integrated into this cable to the OBD2 plug, and the small plug that used to plug into the back of the CTS, plugs right into that cable. There is also a female RCA plug for a backup camera on the CTS2, identical to the one on the CTS. The CTS2 has the identical slots on the back for mounting as the CTS.

I routed the new cable and plugged the existing small plug on the cable from my engine compartment, into the receptacle for it built into the main CTS2 cable, then plugged that into the OBD2 port, plugged in my backup camera, and mounted the CTS2 on my existing mount. I turned the ignition switch on and followed the prompts and the CTS2 is reading every single item that the CTS was reading, including my add-ons of EGT and fuel pressure. And my backup camera (aftermarket, not the pricey Edge backup camera) works perfectly and is much more useful with the larger screen.

I bought an "open box" CTS2 #84130 on ebay for $299 shipped. It carries a 90 warranty. Even though it was an "open box" item, it came shrink wrapped in the OEM box and could not be distinguished from brand new, not a mark on it, and everything was there. This ebay seller I bought it from seems to put 10 or so of these up there from time to time. They sell out quick whenever he puts them up on ebay.

I'm going to sell my CTS monitor with cable on ebay. They have a good market there, so even after ebay fees, I should come out with probably about a $150 net cost for the upgrade to the CTS2, and it is very easily worth all of that to me!
tryNto and MDSWA like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dudeonthenet For This Useful Post:
tryNto (08-18-2019)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

The Following User Says Thank You to Dudeonthenet For This Useful Post:
Broncowilly (08-25-2019)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:23 AM
Diesel Head

Wow - that's good news! Thanks for following up. I'll have to look into it again. I'm running an aftermarket back-up cam through my CTS as well. It works but the image is pretty small. I could use a larger screen and faster boot up time.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:59 PM

What back up camera are you all using? Ive had my CTS2 for about two years now and am a little disappointed as ive had some issues. I had to have my touch screen replaced recently, out of warranty, for $90.00 as it stopped responding. I also had an issue with it draining my trucks batteries however, I believe it may have been related to the bad touch screen. I hope I dont have any more issues with this as I really like the layout and functions it provides and the fact I am into it for a lot of scratch right now. You can also get it set up for engine tunes now, for a price of course.

2005 2500 4x4 QCSB
GDP, CTS2
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrcr822 View Post
What back up camera are you all using? Ive had my CTS2 for about two years now and am a little disappointed as ive had some issues. I had to have my touch screen replaced recently, out of warranty, for $90.00 as it stopped responding. I also had an issue with it draining my trucks batteries however, I believe it may have been related to the bad touch screen. I hope I dont have any more issues with this as I really like the layout and functions it provides and the fact I am into it for a lot of scratch right now. You can also get it set up for engine tunes now, for a price of course.
I bought the backup camera off Amazon, but it's been five years ago now, so sorry, I don't recall the brand or and details of it. IIRC, back then it was only around $20, give or take. Sorry to hear you have had troubles with your touch screen. My CTS never gave a problem, so I'm in hopes that the CTS2 will be as reliable. As far as running the batteries down, I have learned to be careful and I wait to make sure that the Edge monitor shuts down before I leave the truck so that I don't inadvertently leave the screen on and begin to drain the batteries. Touching the screen will turn it on, even if the truck is off, and then it won't go off unless you start the truck, let it boot up, then turn off the ignition.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 01:02 AM

I had wanted to be able to leave it in the truck in the cooler months to save wear and tear on the plug and all but I just cant trust it now to not kill my batteries and will keep taking it inside when not using it. I dont daily drive it and only really use it towing or hauling bikes. All in all the CTS2 is good unit and beats having gauges everywhere.

2005 2500 4x4 QCSB
GDP, CTS2
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:57 AM
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudeonthenet View Post
I bought the backup camera off Amazon, but it's been five years ago now, so sorry, I don't recall the brand or and details of it. IIRC, back then it was only around $20, give or take. Sorry to hear you have had troubles with your touch screen. My CTS never gave a problem, so I'm in hopes that the CTS2 will be as reliable. As far as running the batteries down, I have learned to be careful and I wait to make sure that the Edge monitor shuts down before I leave the truck so that I don't inadvertently leave the screen on and begin to drain the batteries. Touching the screen will turn it on, even if the truck is off, and then it won't go off unless you start the truck, let it boot up, then turn off the ignition.
Did you have to do anything with your camera to get it to work on your cts2? I used my aftermarket camera on my cts and it worked perfectly and now it doesn't work with my cts2 unless I go thru the settings to turn it on. I bought mine off of Ebay at the same price

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2006 laramie megacab 3500 4x4 srw auto 373's. 6inch lift with 35's, 20" fuel hostage. isspro ev gauges trans, egt, boost. s&b cai, smarty s06 pod programmer. built trans by inglewood transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode