31 mpg at 40 mph - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 228
Thanks: 9
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
31 mpg at 40 mph

Dont you just love it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/S1nxefU3Potg9Cdh8

And at 40 mph, I get 42 mpg.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UBP8AF6LFobPCZcw8

sdowney717 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Diesel 4 Me!!
 
21gti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vallejo, CA
Posts: 58
Thanks: 5
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post


SMH!! Lol!!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

06 2500 QCLB 4x4 Borla exhaust, Airdog2, Carli level kit, Torsion Sway Bar & ball joints, 08.5 Steering , Mopar steering box, S&B filter & Air Ram, Goerend Trans, Pacbrake Airbags, AMP side steps, Edge CT2!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
21gti is offline  
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 PM
Diesel Head
 
GRUNT 11B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,502
Thanks: 195
Thanked 530 Times in 474 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
If that meter had a nose, it'd grow right through the back window and hang over the tailgate.

06 QCLB 4X4 G56, SOUTHBEND DD, FASS 150, ARP STUDS, 50HP INJECTORS, EFI, HE351 S475 COMPOUNDS, FLUIDAMPR, HAMILTON PUSHRODS & 103# SPRINGS, 624 HP 1090 TQ 01 QCLB 4X4 AUTO, WHEELS, TIRES, STEERING WHEEL, CUMMINS, BUMPERS, FUEL TANK, SEATS, ETC.
GRUNT 11B is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GRUNT 11B For This Useful Post:
Broaner (07-15-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Diesel Freak
 
cpitock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 609
Thanks: 7
Thanked 45 Times in 44 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Let us know what the mileage is at the pump.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2009 2500 CCSB G56 4x4, 3.73-Self tuned w/WARP 552HP & 1225 lb-ft
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Record MPG: 31.2MPG Average over deleted life: 24.4MPG Next Tank Goal MPG: 35
cpitock is offline  
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 228
Thanks: 9
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpitock View Post
Let us know what the mileage is at the pump.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Wow, you dont trust Dodge engineering?
I like to impress people when they get in the truck.
sdowney717 is offline  
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:20 PM
Diesel Freak
 
cpitock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 609
Thanks: 7
Thanked 45 Times in 44 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Wow, you dont trust Dodge engineering?

I like to impress people when they get in the truck.
Lol, I can make mine read 99 the whole time by changing the duration table. It is a tuning parameter that decides how truthful it is.....I definitely don't trust dodge engineering, they put the wrong axle gearing in our trucks to save money and they made the transmissions less efficient to make up for it, they seem like brilliant bean counters.

At least they were smart enough to use a proven diesel design that is superior, I'll give them that. Oh, they also elected to keep a manual till 2018, they get credit for that too. They keep losing my trust more and more though sadly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jimmy N. likes this.

2009 2500 CCSB G56 4x4, 3.73-Self tuned w/WARP 552HP & 1225 lb-ft
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Record MPG: 31.2MPG Average over deleted life: 24.4MPG Next Tank Goal MPG: 35
cpitock is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to cpitock For This Useful Post:
Broaner (07-15-2019)
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 228
Thanks: 9
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpitock View Post
Lol, I can make mine read 99 the whole time by changing the duration table. It is a tuning parameter that decides how truthful it is.....I definitely don't trust dodge engineering, they put the wrong axle gearing in our trucks to save money and they made the transmissions less efficient to make up for it, they seem like brilliant bean counters.

At least they were smart enough to use a proven diesel design that is superior, I'll give them that. Oh, they also elected to keep a manual till 2018, they get credit for that too. They keep losing my trust more and more though sadly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Their latest buffoonery was putting the cp4 injection pump in the new years models.

I checked the mpg and got 16.5 mpg highway and 13.5 mpg city. So I have been wondering if driving it lightly on the pedal will improve the city mileage.
I think its biggest waste of fuel is acceleration from a stop, the rpms go to about 2000 and the truck is barely moving and has to go through the gears.
But at 60 mph it is under 2000 rpm. I can see how a hybrid electric vehicle can do much better in city driving, it also recovers power by regenerative braking..

I have only taken it on that one long highway trip and I was pushing it 70-75 most of the time. I got truck this march in 2019.
The overhead display is incredibly far off, and however Dodge engineers designed, it must be setup incredibly dumb, some kind of contrived numbers.

I have a dually 3.73 year 2005 3500 long bed guad cab 4x4 and it weighs 8200 lbs.
sdowney717 is offline  
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Diesel Freak
 
cpitock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 609
Thanks: 7
Thanked 45 Times in 44 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Their latest buffoonery was putting the cp4 injection pump in the new years models.

I checked the mpg and got 16.5 mpg highway and 13.5 mpg city. So I have been wondering if driving it lightly on the pedal will improve the city mileage.
I think its biggest waste of fuel is acceleration from a stop, the rpms go to about 2000 and the truck is barely moving and has to go through the gears.
But at 60 mph it is under 2000 rpm. I can see how a hybrid electric vehicle can do much better in city driving, it also recovers power by regenerative braking..

I have only taken it on that one long highway trip and I was pushing it 70-75 most of the time. I got truck this march in 2019.
The overhead display is incredibly far off, and however Dodge engineers designed, it must be setup incredibly dumb, some kind of contrived numbers.

I have a dually 3.73 year 2005 3500 long bed guad cab 4x4 and it weighs 8200 lbs.
My experience was only about an mpg difference between driving like a dummy in the city and trying to get fuel mileage while still driving "normal". Granted that still was between 18-22 depending on other factors that aren't city related. Numbers are from winter and I couldn't get the truck up past 170 degrees and you have to heat the truck up along with the fluids every time you go to drive, it all cost me about 3 mpg. If I was to get up to my desired 200 degrees I could shave one of the 3 mpg lost, but heating fluids cost btus which in turn costs fuel. These are all short trips around 20 miles in heavy city. Previous winters back home in rural driving I could still do around 23-24, about same as summer including loss to fluid heating.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2009 2500 CCSB G56 4x4, 3.73-Self tuned w/WARP 552HP & 1225 lb-ft
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Record MPG: 31.2MPG Average over deleted life: 24.4MPG Next Tank Goal MPG: 35
cpitock is offline  
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:05 PM
Cummins Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Just to contribute, I get about 16 with mixed driving and about 18 on the freeway. I have a bullydog tuner set on performance and use an app to track my fuel mileage at the pump.
jon-d is offline  
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Diesel Freak
 
verdesardog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 939
Thanks: 3
Thanked 163 Times in 127 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I can get my lieometer to indicate 99mpg down hill with a tail wind @70mph too !
cpitock and N of 60 like this.

2006 4X4 IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to verdesardog For This Useful Post:
N of 60 (07-14-2019)
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Diesel Head

 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Yuba City, ca
Posts: 17,154
Thanks: 149
Thanked 1,367 Times in 1,299 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My 99 is off about 2-3mph consistently. But with that in mind i can get it to do near 30 mpg real at 42mph at 1100 rpm locked up in OD on flat straight with tail wind. But nobody even me wants to drive that slow.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
bigfish95971 is offline  
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 AM
Newbie
 
Terrified Projects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 27
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
have to get into reading some of those gas vapor patents or hho units


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 HO 5.9 auto- 2wd - c.c - shortbox
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Terrified Projects is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome