Hardest stopping brake pads? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Hardest stopping brake pads?

I took my daily-driven truck up a really steep highway last week and started experiencing brake fade on the way down. I've never seen that in any vehicle I've owned. I was not towing or even had much in the back. Curious to know what other owners experiences are with specific brands. I am looking at another mountainous trip this summer and would like to get some ideas on better pads. $300 for EBC Orange stuff sounds absurd but if they work, I guess it's worth it? Are drilled/dimpled/slotted rotors all they're cracked up to be?

'05 3500 QCSB. 5" MBRP exh. AFE pro5r intake. Banks High ram. BD Intercooler. Unknown smoky tune. 6" lift. Unknown 4 link long arms. 35" Firestone Dest MT 2 on 17'" Vision Warriors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:09 AM
Diesel Head

My 2 cents :

Slow down ahead of time , if its a mean azz hill going up , prepare for the mean azz Down part . Its a 7600# truck ,, probl a bit more .

I would go to HAWK pads , not ECB and also skip the drilled or slotted rotors . I had a set on a f350 crew cab long bed i towed with . The slotted rotors gave great "bite " and fade resistant,,, but we have winter salt and the whole sha bang only lasted 1.5 years before they chunked and pitted out . I cried a lil when they hit the dumpster .

Just on sparkey's opinion , and good luck sir .
KATOOM likes this.

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Sparky. The scariest thing about that whole situation was that we were already crawling down the hill. I mean like 30km/h, in 2nd gear (auto) in tow/haul mode. We were in a convoy of about 30 other vehicles and many RVs at the front pulled out. There was a lot of stinky brakes.
24hrsparkey likes this.

'05 3500 QCSB. 5" MBRP exh. AFE pro5r intake. Banks High ram. BD Intercooler. Unknown smoky tune. 6" lift. Unknown 4 link long arms. 35" Firestone Dest MT 2 on 17'" Vision Warriors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:10 AM
Cummins Fan

The pads on my 16 suck, factory all they do is leave black dust and squeal. The first day i drove it off the lot i noticed that they dont bite good at all

2016 2500 bighorn black appearance
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Diesel Head

Wow , yeah that sounds like a few min's of PUCKER for sure .

The only brakes ive burnt completely off :

testing the jetting tune up my sons ktm65 mod flat track bike with only back brakes on the road . Boiled the fluid and completely blued out a custom rotor , that baby was Done.

Somewhat racing a corvette with my 68 427 ss chevelle ( all drums brakes ) and up came a stop sign.

Once with a 2000 F350 crew cab long bed , with a bigger pop up trailer ( hauling heavy 3500# . lol ) coming down a mountain to a somewhat un expected right turn into a campground . Shoulda aborted that turn , but did it anyway . Made it , but all brakes were red n smoked and super bad smelling toasted . lol .

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:12 PM
Diesel Head

IDK if they have the best bite, but I've been pleased with EBC greens on our 07. Better than stock semi metallic pads. Others report that they suck, I've got about 40kmiles on them and all 4 corners look barely worn. But I do downshift and use the exhaust brake regularly.
We do lots of mountains, either with a 4000lb TC or TC and 6000lb boat in tow with "ok" surge brakes.
The hill you were on sounds extreme though, not the normal 4-6% highway grades.
The BEST addition would be an exhaust brake. I'm kind of jaded in my brakes' performance because, even grossing the better part of 20klbs on original 170kmile rotors, I don't use the brakes much,if any at all, on "normal" grades.

For comparison, there's a short hill with switch backs by the house. Maybe a mile or 2 long. My Chevy says it's a 9-10 degree slope, so 20% grade. No exhaust brake, 15-20mph just using the motor in 2nd/3rd gear, I'm hitting the brakes every corner, empty truck. With exhaust brake, it's 3rd gear all the way down and I actually have to tap the throttle between switchbacks to not slow down too much.
BD exhaust brakes are $1200US and that will alleviate all your braking concerns.
24hrsparkey and Jimmy N. like this.

07 5.9 Mega, G56, SB Single disk Ceramic clutch, OE 1 piece Al driveshaft, 60hp Industrial injectors, Triple dog, Glacier 2mic filter, BD exhaust brake, ATI Super Damper, BD steering brace, Firestone bags, Big Wig swaybar, 4th Gen 20s and some home made Stableloads.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
harder biting brakes would likely stop you faster but if you were having brake fade going down the hill, in that situation a harder biting pad would put more heat into the rotor and leave you hotter faster.

I'd invest in exhaust brake... the engine itself has much more capacity to remove energy from the system for prolonged period of times.
Jimmy N. likes this.

2006 RAM 3500 DRW 6 speed 4WD QCLB: unit bearing delete, metric delete, all tow no go.
1991 W350 SRW auto 4WD RCLB: Fleetjunk delete, Garmon trans, NASTRUCK
Just say no to metric Daimler-Fiat
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:45 PM
Cummins Fan

In my case my pads suck with the truck empty not towing anything, if i need to make a sudden stop from like 40 mph i literally have to stand on the pedal, good pressure on the pedal but like i can actually feel like the pads just rubbing on the rotor and not stopping the truck like they should. Now i pull a 10k dump trailer and with my exhaust brake on auto and tow haul on she stops with no issues, i know its just a matter of switching out my pads for something better so I'm not worried about it, besides 50k on the truck and they look brand new

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyute View Post
besides 50k on the truck and they look brand new
because they're not doing anything to stop the truck :P

I'd try a set of OEM pads and see if that helps. a stock braking system in good repair will out run the tires for grip on a hard stop.
tryNto and Jimmy N. like this.

2006 RAM 3500 DRW 6 speed 4WD QCLB: unit bearing delete, metric delete, all tow no go.
1991 W350 SRW auto 4WD RCLB: Fleetjunk delete, Garmon trans, NASTRUCK
Just say no to metric Daimler-Fiat
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:09 PM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyute View Post
In my case my pads suck with the truck empty not towing anything, if i need to make a sudden stop from like 40 mph i literally have to stand on the pedal, good pressure on the pedal but like i can actually feel like the pads just rubbing on the rotor and not stopping the truck like they should. Now i pull a 10k dump trailer and with my exhaust brake on auto and tow haul on she stops with no issues, i know its just a matter of switching out my pads for something better so I'm not worried about it, besides 50k on the truck and they look brand new
Id look into that , doesnt seem they are functioning much at all.

IE : brake hoses or caliper / cliper slides , ect ect

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogg View Post
because they're not doing anything to stop the truck :P

I'd try a set of OEM pads and see if that helps. a stock braking system in good repair will out run the tires for grip on a hard stop.
They are oem that came with the truck, had this truck brand new, not going oem again cant take the dust and the performance is just not up to par. I know its a pad issue so not worried about it right now

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay so I gather that the exhaust brake is the best option. I am going to try sourcing a he351ve swap. Think I can do that for less and get a little quicker spool along with some other minor benefits for less $$. Any input ???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode