4” exhaust with stock muffler - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 24hrsparkey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
4” exhaust with stock muffler

My current exhaust is stock without the cat and besides the new muffler the rest of the pipes have rot holes on it. Im looking at the MBRP 4” straight pipe exhaust but I was wondering if i can use my stock muffer on it. I guess im really asking is does everything line up? Hanger wise? and would the stock muffler bolt right on? thanks.

dirty '05 2500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:22 PM
Diesel Head

The OEM muffler isnt 4".

Just buy a complete 4" pipe kit with a muffler . They are cheap enough , in comparison to most things on these trucks
If you straight pipe it , you will eventually be sorry.
With the straight thru muffler it will still be a bit loud anyway.

3rd gens because of the stupid exhaust manifold design sound terrible straight piped , save up , do a 2nd gen manifold swap . THEN they sound like a Cummins should.

good luck sir

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
The OEM muffler isnt 4".

Just buy a complete 4" pipe kit with a muffler . They are cheap enough , in comparison to most things on these trucks
If you straight pipe it , you will eventually be sorry.
With the straight thru muffler it will still be a bit loud anyway.

3rd gens because of the stupid exhaust manifold design sound terrible straight piped , save up , do a 2nd gen manifold swap . THEN they sound like a Cummins should.

good luck sir
really? im reading everywhere for an 05 the stock exhaust size is 4” turbo back. and i remember measurinf 4” at the tailpipe one time

also whats the deal withthe 5” exhaust with a 51” donaldson muffler? people r saying its just as quiet as stock? how true is that

dirty '05 2500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:18 AM
Diesel Head

MY 04 with HE341 turbo was 3.5 inch to muffler then tail pipe section is 4 inch, replaced with Diamond Eye SS exhaust for 04.5 with HE351 which is 4 inch whole way.
I had to swap elbow on turbo to downpipe for all 4 inch from Diamond Eye, but where Diamond Eye welded muffler together rusting out, would not recommend.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghavana View Post
MY 04 with HE341 turbo was 3.5 inch to muffler then tail pipe section is 4 inch, replaced with Diamond Eye SS exhaust for 04.5 with HE351 which is 4 inch whole way.
I swapped elbow on turbo to downpipe for all 4 inch from Diamond Eye, but where Diamond Eye welded muffler together rusting out would not recommend.
so my oem muffler for my 05 should bolt right up to the the aftermarket 4” exhaust. i might havevthem clamp it on since i wanna remove it eventually. any input on the 5” with 51” donaldson muffler?

dirty '05 2500
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:07 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincerecorn View Post
so my oem muffler for my 05 should bolt right up to the the aftermarket 4” exhaust. i might havevthem clamp it on since i wanna remove it eventually. any input on the 5” with 51” donaldson muffler?
Should measure whats on your truck to make sure no one swapped anything, get dimensions of aftermarket, how are they measuring, inside/outside ???
Would need male/female connections or band clamps to fit properly.
No experience with donaldson 51 inch, they have different versions of mufflers so need more info
see https://www.donaldson.com/content/da...duct-Guide.pdf

Need to look at your truck ,for 5 inch just know going to very tight fit on automatic, have clock/adjust turbo housing a little on some trucks should try find audio file online to verify sound.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:03 AM
Diesel Head

My 05 is 4 inch all the way back. Stock muffler is a "S" design which is quiet but restricts flow. I went with a MagnaFlo 4 inch setup with band clamps for now.
Seems to be a quality setuo. Might weld it up someday when I'm done messing with it. I'm running a Hushpower performance muffler and it had terrible drone until I put an FTE resonator in front of it. If your truck is a short box, you'll need to make sure a 51 inch muffler will fit. Donaldson/Nelson mufflers come in multiple sizes and are supposed to be pretty quiet for a flow though muffler. They also cost way less than the muffler I bought.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 PM

I have the 51" Donaldson on an MBRP 5" system, very happy with it. Killed the drone of the strait system well, I would say stock quiet from inside. Outside, it still has the character of the strait pipe but much lower db, probably 1/4 the volume. Close to stock quiet but with a snarl. I have no converter. Donaldson also makes a 30" version, obviously it gives up a few decibels. They also make 4" versions of the same mufflers.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:56 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
I had a Shuttleworth HD diesel muffler spliced into my stock exhaust from new in late '06.
It finally succumbed to the elements here 4 miles from the beach. I just had another installed and we're back to a drone-free moderate exhaust tone.

'07 2500 SLT,5.9,Regcab.,G-56,4wd,Northstar TC800 popup 24/7. SBC OKHD. Dynatrac freespins and bj's. Synergy HD steering. Suspension mutt courtesy of Kore, Carli and Thuren.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:28 PM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post

good luck sir
Thats an opinion. I think all straight piped trucks are trying to sound like something they are not other than being obnoxious.
I run a 40 flowpro twister on my 3rd Gen manifold on the 2011.
Sounds just as Cummins like as my 97. Either have that mind numbing drone with the flowpro twister.

2011,4wd LB/CC 2500 H&S Mini MCC by Tomeygun, BD protect 68rfe VB seperator plate enhanced stall triple disk TC, Super B 64.5/80/.91 3rd gen mani & inline EB, Arp 425s, Fass Titanium 95. Spare Mini in my closet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
High tech old school and finally lovin it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by N of 60 View Post
Thats an opinion. I think all straight piped trucks are trying to sound like something they are not other than being obnoxious.
I run a 40 flowpro twister on my 3rd Gen manifold on the 2011.
Sounds just as Cummins like as my 97. Either have that mind numbing drone with the flowpro twister.
Yes it is an opinion.
But i can hear the difference and im not alone in preferring one sound over the other.
Im 56 and yes straightpiped trucks are obnoxious , drove my sons last night . 82db in the cab. Lil Much for damn sure.

But it is a known fact the 2nd gen style of exhaust manifolds sound better .
Take a 2nd gen with a standard 4" pipe n straight thru muffler kit and then a 3rd gen with same kit .
The 2nd gen will sound better and less of the 3rd gen fuzzy Blaaaahh sound.
Again an opinion.
N of 60 likes this.

SOLD My 2001 and 2005 .
SOLD 2004.5 Sons mod truck
2006 Sons Truck and 1994 12 valve soot machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode