Help with hitch installation - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Help with hitch installation

Hello all, I'm wanting to replace my factory hitch with a class 5 tongue pull. Been doing alot of reading here and looking at pictures and settled on the Draw-Tite Receiver - Custom Fit - Class V. I found out that Draw-Tite class 5 replaced the Reese Titan class 5. The hitch is part # DT 45509.

2007 Ram 2500 2wd Quad Cab Short Bed

I removed the bumper and factory receiver hitch and that's as far as I got. None of the holes on the side plates line up because there doesn't seem to be any clearance for the rear leaf spring mounts.

Hoping someone here has had the same issue and found a resolution or at least tell me what I need to do to fix this. Thought about sectioning out the side plates to clear the spring mount.

Finally finished the install. Had to make 4 cuts to the hitch. One on each side plate and the red rectangles had to come off in order to mount my bumper. The fifth cut was to the bumper itself, had to clearance the receiver opening. The last three cuts was because of aftermarket bumper, most likely wont be needed if you're staying with factory bumper.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	847739   Click image for larger version

Name:	cuts.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	848613   Click image for larger version

Name:	ram hitch 5.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	848615   Click image for larger version

Name:	ram hitch_LI.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	848617   Click image for larger version

Name:	ram hitch 3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	848619  

Last edited by Cheaterpipe; 05-24-2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Adding More Pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Cummins Nut

I have the Titan and it looks exactly like that hitch. What my truck doesn't have is that spring hanger bracket that crosses to the underside of the frame - there is nothing there to impede the fit of the hitch in that area. I have never heard of this fit issue and I'm wondering if there is a difference between 2WD and 4WD spring hangers in that area.

03 3500 QC DRW 4x4 6spd-6.7 Swap w/DPS S475/ported HE351 Twins, Smarty MM3/Calibrated Power tuning, F1 60 HP sticks, Pacbrake PRXB w/5" Flo Pro exhaust
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 AM
Cummins Fanatic

I have the Drawtite 45509 on my quad cab 4X4 Long Box and the hitch is identical, but as the above poster noted, there is nothing below the frame to interfere. The application guide makes no reference to 2wd vs 4wd, so I would call Drawtite and see what they have to say.

07 3500 QCLB, SRW, SLT, 4X4, 48re, Isspro EV2's:Trans in SRT10 pillar, EGT's, Boost, Rail and Fuel Press in O/H. GDP 2 mic and big line kit, GDP Airboss & Intake, Jake Brake, Dynatrac Freespin and Dynaloc's, Smarty Jr, Goerend 15SS converter, Superior S/K, PPE pan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I guess there is a difference in the way the leaf spring mounts between 2wd and 4wd. I purchased thru a well known online retailer so Iím confident they will resolve this issue, I just wanted to hear from other 3rd gen Ram owners.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:39 PM
Diesel Freak

I remember reading an issue with some of the aftermarket hitches not fitting the short bed trucks (for long bed only). I read this a couple weeks ago while shopping for replacement options for mine (haven't ordered anything yet).

This may be one of them.

2005 2500 QCLB, BigHorn, 48RE/3.73, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer, TransGo Shift Kit, GDP 20/2 fuel filter on the frame, ISSPro EV2 Oil and LP Pressure in the cubby hole, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONR View Post
I remember reading an issue with some of the aftermarket hitches not fitting the short bed trucks (for long bed only). I read this a couple weeks ago while shopping for replacement options for mine (haven't ordered anything yet).

This may be one of them.
Maybe it isnít just limited to 2wd vs 4wd and that longbed vs shortbed is a factor too.
If it wasnít for that spring mount, the hitch would bolt right in. I see this going a couple ways; I can either section both side plates of hitch to clear the spring mounts, or section the actual spring mounts themselves. If I did the latter, I would plate that all in and possibly ( most likely) weld that area to the receiver hitch plates. Not doing anything till I hear back from retailer.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Cummins Nut

This hitch fits short box trucks just fine. The fit issue the would be the same whether it was a short box or a long box. Those additional plates that tie in the bottom of the spring hangers to the bottom of the frame are the issue. I have seen this hitch on a short box truck and there were no clearance issues and those spring hanger reinforcement plates were not present.

03 3500 QC DRW 4x4 6spd-6.7 Swap w/DPS S475/ported HE351 Twins, Smarty MM3/Calibrated Power tuning, F1 60 HP sticks, Pacbrake PRXB w/5" Flo Pro exhaust
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
This hitch fits short box trucks just fine. The fit issue the would be the same whether it was a short box or a long box. Those additional plates that tie in the bottom of the spring hangers to the bottom of the frame are the issue. I have seen this hitch on a short box truck and there were no clearance issues and those spring hanger reinforcement plates were not present.
That is one of my ideas for a fix. Cut out those angled brackets, bolt the hitch in place and weld the spring hangars to the hitch plate. Visually, from what I can tell the plates on the hitch have a heavier wall thickness than the chassis frame itself. I may even weld in some angle iron to the hitch plates and bolt that to the bottom side of frame in that area of the spring hanger.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Just had an even easier idea. Iím thinking of cutting a gap between the spring hangar and additional plate, just wide enough to sandwich the hitch plates in between and weld all that in. Just throwing ideas out there, if anyone thinks theyíre great or absurd speak up.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 PM
Diesel Freakazoid

Garage
Inspect the hitch, make sure the box wasn't mislabeled. I installed that same hitch on my 12, Mega cab short box, and on my buddy's 11. crew cab short box. that rear frame section is identical from 03-12, so everything should line up correctly. I would suspect the hitch isn't the right one if nothing lines up correctly.

2012 MCSB DRW 3500 Laramie Longhorn, EFI Live By ANARCHY Diesel, 4" flopro turbo back with muffler, S&B air box and filter, Edge Insight CTS2, 2" HBS level, Bilstein 5100s in all 4 corners with steering stabilizer, PacBrake Airbags, GDP Fuel Filter under the hood, Supernova V3 LED headlights and my EGR stuff ran away, lemme know if you find it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HELP ME UPDATE MY IMAGES, IF YOU SEE A BROKEN IMAGE LINK, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE SO I CAN UPDATE THE IMAGE TO A NEW HOSTING SITE
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

TTT for pics and anyone else who is looking for an aftermarket receiver hitch.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:22 AM

Interesting that you edited your first post and added your solution to it instead of putting the solution as a new post at the bottom of the thread. I have never seen anyone do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode