Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-non-powertrain/)
-   -   2004.5 radiator replacement options/improvements? (https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-non-powertrain/2498299-2004-5-radiator-replacement-options-improvements.html)

DaveH77 04-14-2019 04:08 AM

2004.5 radiator replacement options/improvements?
 
Recently my plastic tanked radiator started dripping from the bottom corner right by the drain pet. It appears to be coming from where the plastic tank is clamped to the metal core. It is not very bad at all yet but now definitely on the to-do list before summer heat.

Wondering what is the best affordable improvement replacement? Is there a newer year factory unit with improved cooling that will bolt in?
Right now finances dictate shopping used OEM preferred instead of cheap chinese, just looking for the best one to look for.
I vaguely recall discussion of maybe a 2007 being a good upgrade for older rigs but can't find it again, and won't trust my vague memory.
Searched and read some threads that mostly talked about 3 row vs 2 row vs expensive aftermarket but didn't find anything about improvements in OEM from different year gen 3 rigs.
Thanks!

jerrodlk 04-14-2019 09:08 AM

I installed one from OíReilly. It works just fine for me.
However I also installed a thermostat from OíReilly and it was junk. Had to replace the OíReilly thermostat with one from NAPA and replaced the radiator cap with OEM. Now Iím good on cooling.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verdesardog 04-14-2019 11:09 AM

I recently put an all aluminum radiator in my 06. Got it from ebay, it looks and performs very nice. the only thing is it take a smaller radiator cap! It looks like a mishomoto knock off.

steve05ram360 04-15-2019 12:50 PM

My OEM radiator had a nasty end tank leak, I took a pair of vice grips to all of the crimps on each tank and tossed it back in there. The intent was to have it last long enough for me to go source a better radiator than what I pulled out (BTR junk) and be off & running again leak free.

2+ years later, still no leaks from it and I have not swapped it out.

utahtrapper 04-15-2019 02:54 PM

All Aluminum would be the way to go.
I broke the factory plastic drain when I did my flush. LOL POS.
I was lucky and found a Mishimoto someone bought and then sold his truck. I do really like and for 400.00 not to Bad.

Grit dog 04-16-2019 09:12 PM

Dave, I think you got your answer in post #4. Steve's always good for an effective economical solution.....
Thank you Steve. I've considered that a couple times over the years and just ended up replacing a radiator. Valuable info like THIS is why forums like this are great!

steve05ram360 04-16-2019 10:48 PM

Here is the thread where i did the work. 11/2016...

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3...air-print.html

24hrsparkey 04-17-2019 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utahtrapper (Post 28956993)
All Aluminum would be the way to go.
I broke the factory plastic drain when I did my flush. LOL POS.
I was lucky and found a Mishimoto someone bought and then sold his truck. I do really like and for 400.00 not to Bad.


Yaeh NEVER use that dinkey pet gizmo for that very reason.
Just pull the lower hose ( carefully) and let nature take its course.

DaveH77 04-22-2019 11:15 AM

Hello Steve and everyone,
I was actually wondering if I could clamp it again. Its not much of a leak, about 6" of damp concrete overnight, but can't tell when driving under full pressure. Didn't want to go crimping on the 14 yr old plastic POS unless someone had gone there before. Definitely didn't want to risk making it worse and have absolute replacement come even sooner.
I have built and worked on a lot of classic muscle cars in the distant past, always a challenge to keep those old gassers cool, especially in summer heat & in town traffic.
4 core brass was always the ticket, over 400 cid and 400+HP a 4 core would barely do it but it was the best we had. HD thermo clutch fan out of a 500cid Cadillac helped a lot.
Thanks guys, Dave

Gator1 04-22-2019 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, it's called a lifetime guaranteed aluminum radiator from Mishimoto and Kool thermostat.

steve05ram360 04-22-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveH77 (Post 28962501)
Hello Steve and everyone,
I was actually wondering if I could clamp it again. Its not much of a leak, about 6" of damp concrete overnight, but can't tell when driving under full pressure. Didn't want to go crimping on the 14 yr old plastic POS unless someone had gone there before. Definitely didn't want to risk making it worse and have absolute replacement come even sooner.
I have built and worked on a lot of classic muscle cars in the distant past, always a challenge to keep those old gassers cool, especially in summer heat & in town traffic.
4 core brass was always the ticket, over 400 cid and 400+HP a 4 core would barely do it but it was the best we had. HD thermo clutch fan out of a 500cid Cadillac helped a lot.
Thanks guys, Dave

I clamped on mine 1x with zero issues in the time after... you can certainly try it... just set the vice grip so it does not over crimp it. Read up/look up web info on it or videos...

steve05ram360 04-22-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gator1 (Post 28962577)
Yes, it's called a lifetime guaranteed aluminum radiator from Mishimoto and Kool thermostat.

that would require a new shroud for my fans if the core size is different... would be a good excuse to go to rev b of the shroud.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome