No Start, Electrical help needed - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 2 Post By 4everlearning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
No Start, Electrical help needed

The truck sat for a long time. 4 months or so, only being started once every couple of weeks.

During that time, I recently added headlights, and bumper mounted 'fog' lights.

When I went to start it, it was completely dead. Added two new batteries. Started right up. Voltmeter gauge reads 0, check gauges light is on.

Sat for a few days. Went to start it again. Not completely dead, lights would turn on, and it would turn over, but not start. Put a jump pack on it, and it started right up. Voltmeter gauge still reads 0, and check gauges light is on.

Let it sit overnight and it is back to not starting. Will start to turn over, then just start clicking.

I think it is an alternator problem, but also maybe a slow drain somewhere.

My gameplan is to jump it to get it started. Take it up to Autozone to have the electrical system load tested, and see if it is the alternator. How should I go about seeing if it has a slow drain somewhere?

What do ya'll think? If it is the alternator, what should I replace it with? I'm ok with spending the money to get the best. Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:03 PM
Cummins Nut

Garage
You can disconnect the positive battery cable from both batteries, hook a test light between the cable and battery post, if the light gets lit you have a draw. Leave the light in place, pull fuses until the light goes out, this will tell you which circuit is creating the draw.
02smokin and Colorad like this.

2005 QCSB, cold air intake, guages, a trans built by me and HPTuners tunes by me
The Following User Says Thank You to 4everlearning For This Useful Post:
Colorad (04-12-2019)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
Yeah sounds like one of the new accessories you added is the culprit. If those were set up with inline fuses or plugs then I’d start by taking those offline and see if that helps.

Could just be a coincidence too... your batteries could have just rundown too low for too long and they’re dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 3500 SLT 4x4|4" Ex.|Cooper STT Pro 315/70R17|HellBent 2" Lvl|Synergy Adj Track Bar/Steering System|Thuren Shocks|MOPAR 1pc Driveshaft/Big Steering Box|Carli Ball Joints/Control Arms/Diff' Guard|Banks High-Ram Intake|Maverick Ranch Bumper #12K Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:18 AM
Diesel Head

Check for any ECM codes and/or EMIC(cluster) codes ?? will hopefully give clue to issue.
Should verify with real multimeter, 12.6 volts both batteries fully charged with truck off, seen new batteries have issues, Check good wires including grounds to batteries, generator and PDC (Fusebox), voltage drop test easiest, most accurate,should be same as B+ of batteries.
Then check both batteries with truck, running should be 14-15 volts from generator.
DC power alternators IMO way better then OEM. https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

04 QCSB HO Automatic
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

So...the crossover cable that connects the two batteries was disconnected. I connected it, and no more issue, but the voltmeter gauge is still not working. Is that something that needs to be reset or possibly a fuse?

2005 2500 QCLB, NV5600, Carli Suspension, bobbed frame, 4" Fiberglass Fenders, LED Headlights, 37.5" Tires, 16.5" Hummvee wheels, Warn 12k lb. winch, Flat Bed, 2012 Leather seats, SDS Soundproofing, blend doors, custom headliner, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode