My poplock tailgate creation - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
My poplock tailgate creation

I like the idea of a locking tailgate and I got a rollup Tyger 1 toneau cover, so now its worth it to me.
I bought a pair of lock actuators off amazon for $8, they work.
I also bought a key locking tailgate handle, so its going to have 2 locks on the tailgate.

I had to create a functional design and I did, but its not finished yet. I did this album work today. I made spacers out of waterproof laminate sample floor pieces form H Depot. They allow the parts to fit properly attached to the inner tailgate stamped metal. I cut and fit and then glued in with hotglue. The bent hinge requires a double layer, 1/4" thick glued to the inner sheet metal to make a flat surface, then a 3/8" thick piece to space the hinge so it aligns with the door lock mechanism. The actuator just needs 2 pieces glued to the inner sheet metal.

I plan to wire in so the tailgate locks and unlocks with the passenger doors, not the driver door.

I bent a door hinge to shape, then I had some spring steel rod from an old trunk lid lift spring and used that for the locking pin.
The actuators come with a rod attachment block. I enlarge the end with a drill to fit my locking pin rod diameter and JB welded it onto the locking pin rod. That rod is slightly over 1/4" diameter so I had to drill out the hinge pin to fit. Still need 2 small bolts to finish attaching the bent hinge.
Whats left is figuring out the linkage from actuator to the locking pin. And the wiring. It is just 2 wires, polarity reversals make it move in or out.

I dont see why it wont work. One video I saw had used 2 relays to offload the power drain of this extra actuator. I dont know if thats needed. I dont know if the computer monitors power usage. Album has all the pics I took.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wy53pBpBHYXd4H149

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_151717.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	845343  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I got it all working. My total cost was only the $8 for actuators. For wire I used an old vacuum cord 17 gauge.
I split the wire at the tailgate so the wire can be undone when tailgate is removed.

I had a hard time figuring out the wires. Took entire passenger back door apart. I found there are 4 wires going into the lock mechanism in the door. The 2 wires that actually move the lock motor up and down in the right rear door of a 2005 ram 3500 are colored solid green and tan/orange strip. The other 2 wires (purple/white stripe, green black stripe), might be for the courtesy light for the truck to know if a door is not shut.
These colors change after the body plug behind the center door column. Light green becomes light green with blue stripe, and Tan/orange stripe becomes Violet with blue stripe. And that carries all the way to the body plug behind the passenger kick panel.

I drilled a 1/2 inch hole, put in a rubber wire protector and sealed the wire so water cant get into the cab.
I tied the wire up all along the passenger side frame rail back to the spare tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190412_164143 (1).jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	845445   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190412_172119 (1).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	845447  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode