Steering upgrades opinions - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

2Likes
  • 2 Post By avvblanc01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Steering upgrades opinions

I have a 2005 2500 5.9 and am replacing my ball joints soon, I figured since I was down there I would take care of the weak point. Do I either go with the 2009 upgrade or who has used one of the frame steering box stabilizers. Which one to use???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Diesel Head

I did the 2009 steering upgrade on my 05 and was happy with the results. A very good upgrade for the money. An upgrade from the 2009 OEM parts would be the Synery setup which might make sense in more demanding applications. Might consider Synergy if you're lifted or running oversized tires. The steering box stabilizers are worth the investment as they can help prevent premature wear on your steering gear. The braces are all very similar and most are very over-priced for what they are. Look for a deal on one. Lots of us replaced the original steering gear with an upgraded Redhead box.

When you do your front end work, make sure to inspect your axle u-joints, unit bearings and steering gear for wear. The unit bearings can last a long time but the rest all seems to wear out at the same time. There are several threads on the forum on ball joints at various price points. I would recommend doing some research using the search function before buying. Don't buy the splined/oversized ball joints if you don't need them.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
The Following User Says Thank You to MDSWA For This Useful Post:
wantabe351 (05-22-2019)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:31 PM
Diesel Freak

When it came time to do the steering upgrade on my truck, I went with an OEM Mopar upper shaft, OEM Mopar Big Box steering box from the 4th gen 5500 trucks, Synergy steering linkage, and a creative fabworks frame brace. That combo really helped the front end of the truck and is probably some of the best parts you can buy.

If you're curious about the Mopar vs Synergy steering linkage debate, this video is super helpful and should clear things up for you:

While we're at it, CJC also has a pretty helpful balljoint comparison video too:
Bad V2 and MDSWA like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2006 2500 qcsb 4x4: auto, yukon hubs, Fass, 2mic Cat/baldwin 5mic FWS, 20" Trail Ready wheels & 37's, Edge insight, custom retroshop, heads/tails, Carli Dominator, Amp steps, Smarty JR 1993 D350 5spd, HID projectors, 4in TBE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvblanc01 View Post
When it came time to do the steering upgrade on my truck, I went with an OEM Mopar upper shaft, OEM Mopar Big Box steering box from the 4th gen 5500 trucks, Synergy steering linkage, and a creative fabworks frame brace. That combo really helped the front end of the truck and is probably some of the best parts you can buy.

If you're curious about the Mopar vs Synergy steering linkage debate, this video is super helpful and should clear things up for you:

While we're at it, CJC also has a pretty helpful balljoint comparison video too:
Thanks for all the info guys! Definitely will look into the synergy as well. I am only leveled with 11.5 wide tires.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:09 AM
Cummins Fan

Garage
I know it hasnít been brought up, but the thuren track bar will help tighten everything up. Also another issue on my 04.5 was the stock sway bar links were not very sturdy, thuren and carli make some to include the lifetime warranty of the carli.... I believe, correct me if Iím wrong some one.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:37 PM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
My steering pump was going out and given I take my truck offroad... it has larger tires/lift/etc. I felt it was best for a complete upgrade. I went with a new steering pump, all new steering hoses and steering box (the updated big MOPAR one) and went with the Synergy steering system. It's terribly beefy.

I also chose the Synergy track bar a couple years ago. It like some others can be adjusted without taking it off the truck... that appealed to me.

I will say that I'm a little unhappy to have already replaced both ends of that Synergy track bar.

I did use a steering box brace for a while on the stock system and it did work well.

2005 3500 SLT 4x4|4" Ex.|Cooper STT Pro 315/70R17|HellBent 2" Lvl|Synergy Adj Track Bar/Steering System|Thuren Shocks|MOPAR 1pc Driveshaft/Big Steering Box|Carli Ball Joints/Control Arms/Diff' Guard|Banks High-Ram Intake|Maverick Ranch Bumper #12K Winch
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:21 AM
Cummins Fan

Garage
Really? That sucks man I was going to go with the synergy until I realized po put the updated mopar one. Howís the bigger mopar steering box? I canít decode between that one and the redhead.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbess View Post
Really? That sucks man I was going to go with the synergy until I realized po put the updated mopar one. Howís the bigger mopar steering box? I canít decode between that one and the redhead.
I'm trying to recall all my motivations... I think it dealt with the details: I can't remember if the RedHead needed a different steering shaft or there was some issue with the pitman arm or ??? Honestly I can't remember. I needed the steering pump and reservoir too plus hoses so I think I just felt best sticking with the MOPAR upgrade. I seem to recall getting some advice to go that way by a reseller too.

I scoured eBay for all the part numbers, got all genuine MOPAR stuff and saved a bunch of $$$ vs. buying from the dealer. Ended up buying parts from multiple different sellers but even with all the shipping it was still a great deal.

I certainly love the results of a new pump, reservoir, hoses and steering system. Combined with all the other upgrades (ball joints, control arms, sway bar bushings, sway bar links, track bar, unit bearings, etc. etc. etc.) it steers and feels like a new truck up front.

The biggest mishap I had was putting my old pulley onto the new pump. You HAVE to measure the distance the pulley needs to be positioned in relationship to the other pulley's and/or from the motor.

I even watched this guy's funny video series and I still screwed it up:

So definitely don't mess that step up if you're changing out your pump!

2005 3500 SLT 4x4|4" Ex.|Cooper STT Pro 315/70R17|HellBent 2" Lvl|Synergy Adj Track Bar/Steering System|Thuren Shocks|MOPAR 1pc Driveshaft/Big Steering Box|Carli Ball Joints/Control Arms/Diff' Guard|Banks High-Ram Intake|Maverick Ranch Bumper #12K Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode