New Ram Cummins- and long distance running - Page 4 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:00 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
If you want to reach for low hanging MPG fruit, built trans and 15SS converter from goerend. Low stall converter will be worth at least 0.5 mpg at any time.

Another thing to look into is the firepunk Anteater. It allows full control of the transmission. Much better than the files that are within the ECM actually.. lock in second, or on the 1-2 shift and then keep it locked. Plus you can have 3 shift profiles to choose from. I'm almost to the point of getting one myself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1994 Buick Roadmaster Sedan 'Betsy' LT1-4L60E, Every Option Good Old Fashioned Lead-Sled
2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie Every Option - ATS S3|FASS 150|DDP 50HP|S&B Intake|4"TBE|CTS2|EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:52 AM
Diesel Head

Garage
For all the pictures you could ever want to post. use imgur.com. upload your pics there, click on the pic you want to use then copy the bbcode. go to your thread post and paste the copied bbcode into the post and you have pictures.
rghavana likes this.

'03 QCLB 2500 305/555 NV5600 w/ FastCoolers 3.73 4x4, Color match Lear Topper.
Smarty S-06 PoD, Edge CTS for Gauges, DPP Cool Tube w/ OEM AF Box, Baldwin PF7977, GDP MK-2 FF Kit, Pusher Intake Horn, Adj. Boost Elbow @ 30psi, OEM Fan Clutch Delete/Mod, Steering Box Brace, On-Board Air w/Horns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tryNto; 04-14-2019 at 02:55 AM.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:41 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smelonas View Post
If you want to reach for low hanging MPG fruit, built trans and 15SS converter from goerend. Low stall converter will be worth at least 0.5 mpg at any time.

Another thing to look into is the firepunk Anteater. It allows full control of the transmission. Much better than the files that are within the ECM actually.. lock in second, or on the 1-2 shift and then keep it locked. Plus you can have 3 shift profiles to choose from. I'm almost to the point of getting one myself.

For mileage, I would stay far from an auto. Another thing is having a low stall in the city (unless you switch to neutral at every light and stop sign) will cause you to eat up more fuel. Look at your fuel usage in park (engine temps to operating) and then in drive, I promise you'll realize a double to triple usage unless you have the ability like newer cars to completely disengage the TC at a stop while in drive. Datalogs have shown me that an automatic (factory) will use slightly more fuel at a stop than what it takes my truck to do 55MPH.

Example:

Manual manual uses 7.5mm3 of fuel to idle per injection while at light and stopped. Uses approximately 25mm3 to run 55MPH.

Auto pickup uses 28mm3 of fuel to idle per injection while at light and stopped while in drive. Uses approximately 30mm3 to run 55MPH

This is based on both trucks that have exact same tune with factory parts. They also use more fuel while TC is unlocked to accelerate and they always take HP to drive the pump. You can do a lot of mods to an auto and the ones that get better mileage on the highway will hurt you in the city or even just normal use. These reasons are typically why manuals get about 1-2MPG better under similar circumstances and same effective drive ratio. I'm not saying your mods didn't help you in mileage, I'm just painting a picture that what you see is due to your usage and could vastly change the other way for somebody else.

2009 2500 CCSB G56 4x4, 3.73-Self tuned w/WARP 552HP & 1225 lb-ft

My version of regenerative braking is "bump starting"
Record MPG: 31.2MPG Average over deleted life: 24.7MPG Next Tank Goal MPG: 35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:54 PM
Diesel Head

Garage
I understand the perfect transmission doesnt exist for these trucks. The OP just stated he was saving for firepunk setup. Wanted to give him some potentially useful insight is all.

The ideal transmission is an auto, and does have a neutral clutch for every time the vehicle stops. Locking the TC upon the first shift.

I was aware that autos in gear use a lot more fuel than just idling in neutral, I've always thought that was a way to save a lot of fuel. In neutral my CTS2 shows 0% load, in drive sitting still, it shows 5%.

Back draining the torque converter at a stop would lessen the load dramatically, but that would be like driving a space shuttle at that point. Your truck would be impossible to drive for anyone else.

So many things about transmissions to gain and you see it in modern cars. They gain more efficiency from playing with the TCM than with the ECM. Fact.

1994 Buick Roadmaster Sedan 'Betsy' LT1-4L60E, Every Option Good Old Fashioned Lead-Sled
2007.0 Ram 2500 MCSB Laramie Every Option - ATS S3|FASS 150|DDP 50HP|S&B Intake|4"TBE|CTS2|EFI
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:10 PM
Diesel Freak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smelonas View Post
I understand the perfect transmission doesnt exist for these trucks. The OP just stated he was saving for firepunk setup. Wanted to give him some potentially useful insight is all.

The ideal transmission is an auto, and does have a neutral clutch for every time the vehicle stops. Locking the TC upon the first shift.

I was aware that autos in gear use a lot more fuel than just idling in neutral, I've always thought that was a way to save a lot of fuel. In neutral my CTS2 shows 0% load, in drive sitting still, it shows 5%.

Back draining the torque converter at a stop would lessen the load dramatically, but that would be like driving a space shuttle at that point. Your truck would be impossible to drive for anyone else.

So many things about transmissions to gain and you see it in modern cars. They gain more efficiency from playing with the TCM than with the ECM. Fact.

If only we could improve the efficiency of them to come close to mid- high 90 percentile range like manuals. If I remember correctly a good automatic (planetary type) is still at most around mid to high 80 percentile. Cvt would be an improvement over planetary types, but making one durable enough and cost effective would be the issue. I know playing in the tcm is good for around 1.5mpg on the autos. In the data I have 12% is the difference in manual vs auto. So at cruise getting 25mpg in a manual that would drop to 22.3mpg. I'd be curious how that could be improved by going to a 2.90 rear end and eliminating the double overdrive as that is a backwards gain for efficiency. Obviously, that choice was determined by the bean counters and not engineers or they might have forgotten the basics.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2009 2500 CCSB G56 4x4, 3.73-Self tuned w/WARP 552HP & 1225 lb-ft

My version of regenerative braking is "bump starting"
Record MPG: 31.2MPG Average over deleted life: 24.7MPG Next Tank Goal MPG: 35
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode