Forum old timer question re: T steering upgrade - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Forum old timer question re: T steering upgrade

I was a forum regular from 2006 through 2012 or so, bought my 07 2500 CTD 4x4 new. Right away I did some mods - KORE levelling/"Recon" lift kit (3" front/ 1" rear), Bilsteen shocks, DSS steering box brace, Carli sway bar links, Thuren track bar, Fox steering damper, and 18x9" forged Centerlines with Toyo 35x12.5 Open Country M/T (and later A/T) tires. Engine and drive train remain stock even now other than a Smarty.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/a...844653&thumb=1
A few old timers might recognize the truck...

Anyway, at 12 years old, it has a mere 66k miles on it. It was a toy from the beginning, relegated mostly to towing a trailer full of Harley's up and down the east coast, occasionally pulling a race car trailer, and twice rescuing friends' broken trucks from the woods. It lives in a heated garage. It doesn't get beat on much. It still looks like new pretty much other than the chrome decaying on the wheels. I had to replace the ball joints 10k miles ago, installing Moog parts with grease zerks. The frame end bushing on the track bar needs to be replaced (already have a couple on hand), and the original "Y" style steering linkage has seen better days. Not once have I had death wobble though...

My options for the linkage "T" upgrade are OEM, Moog, or Synergy. Obviously Synergy is the best of those, but at $700+ my highway truck probably doesn't need all that. That leaves Moog vs OEM. I can get the Moog complete "Problem solver" kit that includes the pitman arm and a stock style steering damper for $322 at Rock Auto, or I can get OEM parts, not including the pitman arm for $303 shipped from Amazon. I'm not exactly impressed with the stock parts. Are Moog parts still at least as good if not better than OEM? The same Moog kit is over $500 on Amazon, much more than the missing pitman arm from the OEM kit would explain.

Moog vs OEM. That is the question....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROTM.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	844653  

2007 2500 Quad Cab Laramie H SB 4x4 5.9L 6sp Electric Blue, SRT-10 hood, Line-X, BakFlip, Smarty, KORE Recon, Thuren track bar and steering stabilizer, Carli swaybar links, DSS, 18x9 Centerline Grizzly's, 35x12.50 Toyo A/T's, Bushwacker flares, Mag-Hytec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Cummins Fanatic

Garage
A more recent pic, taken on Blimp Road, Cudjoe Key... Feb 2015

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/a...844655&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	844655  
avvblanc01 likes this.

2007 2500 Quad Cab Laramie H SB 4x4 5.9L 6sp Electric Blue, SRT-10 hood, Line-X, BakFlip, Smarty, KORE Recon, Thuren track bar and steering stabilizer, Carli swaybar links, DSS, 18x9 Centerline Grizzly's, 35x12.50 Toyo A/T's, Bushwacker flares, Mag-Hytec
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Cummins Enthusiast

Garage
I think you're making a good choice either way. Sorry I can't speak for either one... i went with the Synergy system. I also replaced the steering box/pump with the big boy MOPAR one + all new hoses, etc. Wow, that was a punch to the old checking account I'll tell you that!

Good luck!

2005 3500 SLT 4x4|4" Ex.|Cooper STT Pro 315/70R17|HellBent 2" Lvl|Synergy Adj Track Bar/Steering System|Thuren Shocks|MOPAR 1pc Driveshaft/Big Steering Box|Carli Ball Joints/Control Arms/Diff' Guard|Banks High-Ram Intake|Maverick Ranch Bumper #12K Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Diesel Freak

Personally, I wouldn't run MOOG on that truck. Especially since you've got larger tires, the Synergy or OEM is the way to go. The MOOG stuff just isn't at the same level of quality that OEM or Synergy are at, and since steering is rather important for safety I wouldn't trust it!

I personally chose to do Synergy on my truck, and have been very happy with the choice. It's a quality part with substantial upgrades over OEM. It also has replaceable and greasable joints to aid in longevity. Side note: your truck is gorgeous and I want it haha.

Here's a pretty helpful video comparing Synergy to OEM if you're curious.

MDSWA likes this.

Instagram:@AVVBLANC 2006 2500 qcsb 4x4: auto, yukon hubs, Fass, 2mic Cat/baldwin 5mic FWS, 20" Trail Ready wheels & 37's, Edge insight, custom retroshop, heads/tails, Carli Dominator, Amp steps, Smarty JR 1993 D350 5spd, HID projectors, 4in TBE
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:31 PM
TWR
Diesel Head

Hi nice truck, moog is not made like it was 10 years ago or so and i have been in the trade for 30 plus years. I would do the T upgrade from mopar if its a money thing if not Synergy is the way to go. I have the T upgrade in my 2003 truck as it was in the truck when i bought it. If i need to replace it i will use Synergy as it is heavier duty than mopar and you can replace the tie rod and drag link ends.

2003 Ram 3500 6 inch lift, 2016 Laramie Limited seats and 2012 console with [email protected] Shifter, Fass 95 pump, Built 47re and mishimoto trans cooler, Srt10 hood, Smarty touch.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:10 PM
Diesel Head

For me the choice was between the OEM T-style or the Synergy. I would have liked to have gone with the Synergy but couldn't justify the extra cost when the OEM setup was already a substantial upgrade from the original Y style. Very happy with my choice.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 01:36 AM
Cummins Fan

How has the OEM style t link upgrade worked out, so far? I’m in the process of upgrading to the t style and can’t decide which brand to go to. I believe the OEM now offers greaseable ends, which is a plus. But, I also read that there have been recalls. I really like the synergy, but boy is it pricey! What do y’all think?

6'' Pro Comp Stage II, Fox Reservoir Shocks, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers wrapped around 22" BMF Novakanes
If you aint first, you're last!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 01:40 AM
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,409 Times in 1,340 Posts
Check all the parts at RockAuto. They will be about half price there.

99 2500, Quad cab, 4x4 47RE, BD pressure lock on it, small BD 90/140 chip on the VP 44 connection plug, 17" 3rd gen wheels. 3.55 diffs. Ruenell front bumper and warn winch, Rancho adj shocks. 663k miles.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 02:52 PM
Diesel Head

OEM T-style kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-SUL-PWR View Post
How has the OEM style t link upgrade worked out, so far? Iím in the process of upgrading to the t style and canít decide which brand to go to. I believe the OEM now offers greaseable ends, which is a plus. But, I also read that there have been recalls. I really like the synergy, but boy is it pricey! What do yíall think?
My OEM T-style kit has been rock solid with around 20,000 miles on this setup. I rebuilt my whole front end at the same time (ball joints, u-joints, steering stabilizer and steering gear) and everything has stayed tight - as good or better than new.
D-SUL-PWR and 24hrsparkey like this.

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 03:28 PM
Cummins Fan

Good to know MDSWA. I talked to the local front end shop here and he said he might even have an OEM kit in the shop, that he may be willing to let go for a deal. He's gonna check and get back with me. It's really a toss up at this point. I really wish the OEM has greaseable ends. With that said, it's either the OEM or the Synergy. If this guy comes back and says he has the OEM there and he's willing to give a good price, I've got a decision to make!

6'' Pro Comp Stage II, Fox Reservoir Shocks, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers wrapped around 22" BMF Novakanes
If you aint first, you're last!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 03:40 PM
Cummins Fanatic

I had the upgraded oem steering go out in less then 1 year and 15k. Some driving offroad but just dirt roads to campsites not actually wheeling. Also looking for upgrade guidance. Hope this helps. What is the recent part # for the hd OEM steering. starting to wonder if I didn't get the right one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2004 CTD Billet DTT Trans, Banks intake and exhaust.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:55 PM
Cummins Nut

I have a level kit, longer control arms, adjustable track bar, 305/55/20 tires on 20X12 wheels.

The Moog seemed great, I actually was pretty happy...for a while. It developed this absolutely awful click at 15K miles or so when turning. When I removed it, half the joints were frozen and popped when you forced them to move. On the truck you could actually grab the linkage by hand and twist back and forth and get them to pop slightly. I was greasing them closer to every 3K miles.

I picked up the OEM unit off amazon to replace it. I only got the moog the first time because it was like $220 at the time. They sure went up. The OEM was a no brainer. I would have done synergy if I wasn't looking at dropping money on other stuff non vehicle related.

I also have moog ball joints as I put them in before I knew better. While they are still tight and haven't given me trouble, they are getting replaced in the spring for EMF more than likely before they can fail on me. Their reputation has gotten so absolutely terrible.

05 CCLB 48RE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode