04.5 won't start - shift linkage, injectors, or what? - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:00 AM
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
We use have used Larryb parts to rebuild many a starter.
LarryB's Denso Starter EASY rebuild kit for 94-06 Cummins & Dodge LarryB's

4everlearning likes this.

04 QCSB HO Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks a bunch for the tip to LarryB's, exactly what I had in mind.
Here is the rub:
the local guy I went to is the very last old craftsman to do starter and alternator rebuilding here, excellent reputation of honestly and skill.
Here is what he said:
"I quit rebuilding that starter several years ago for a couple of reasons, mainly the brush wires you have to solder in are so short, by the time you get enough heat for the silver solder, it runs too far up the braid towards the brush and then the brush cant move freely enough
also concern about the heat going the other direction toward the field coils, unsoldering something there
He said if you use regular solder instead of silver solder, it can actually melt out if you get the starter too hot

OK I can easily understand solder running too far up the braid (don't ask my why;-) but I didn't know you have to use silver solder in a diesel starter.

Is he correct on the silver solder vs regular?

Any thoughts on this are quit welcome, thanks!

2004.5 2500 4x4 short bed AT, 249,000 mi
assume all stock except K&N filter & intake tube but history prior to 220,000 miles is unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode