Trailer light issue, dead circuits at the truck's 7 pin, need TIPM protection? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
3rd Gen. Non-Powertrain Discussion of 3rd Gen Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Trailer light issue, dead circuits at the truck's 7 pin, need TIPM protection?

Long story short, I borrowed a trailer from my work that I've borrowed in the past without issue, but seems to have developed some wiring gremlins, and it appears to have pissed off the TIPM in my 06. Coming home at night with the trailer and noticed I didn't have tail lights on the trailer, but do have all light functions on the truck. Brake lights, 4 ways, turn signals all work, but tail lights do not. Checked continuity between ground and tail light output on the truck's 7 pin with a multimeter and I get nothing for tail light output. Because I needed tail lights to get home safely, I switched the tail light wire in the trailer's connector over to the charge wire terminal, so it would just stay on all the time. That worked for about 500 feet and then the truck shut that circuit down too. I assume there is likely a short somewhere in the trailer wiring that caused this.

I've been doing research about all of the products you can buy for these 06+ Rams with the TIPM to protect the TIPM from sketchy trailer wiring, but there is so much different information out there, I can't seem to figure out exactly what it is I need. My truck DOES have the factory tow package, I have an aftermarket brake controller in the cab connected to the factory brake controller connector under the dash, and I have an in-bed 7 pin for 5th wheel trailers and bumper 7 pin, as well as a 4 pin pigtail stashed under the bumper (all factory).

I want to still use the brake controller I have in the cab, I want to keep the 7 pin stuff in the bed and bumper, and I have no need for a 4 pin. I have no problem paying the dealer to reset my TIPM to restore function of the factory 7 pin if I can purchase a plug and play unit to protect the TIPM that I don't have to wire, but if there are no such devices, wiring isn't a big deal for me either. What are my options? What should I buy?

2006 QCSB 4x4 Big Horn, 3.73's & 315/70-R17's, gutted cat/straight pipe, BHAF, BD 2nd gen manifold, spring gate, BMS 50HP injectors from Exergy, T&C FCA and 30K PRV, Pusher intake, built 48RE & DTT TC, AirDog II 165, freeze plug block off, stock tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Diesel Head

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Diesel Head

I lost the left turn signal on my travel trailer (05 3500). Did a bunch of troubleshooting and online research. Everything else worked fine. My research showed a relay in the TIPM was fried which left me with three choices; (1) get a new TIPM, (2) wire a tail light / trailer light circuit around the TIPM or, (3), do some surgery on my TIPM to replace the bad relay. I elected to replace my TIPM. I found one at one of the wholesale online dodge parts dealers. It was an expensive fix for a bad trailer light. I'm very reluctant to hook up to a sketchy trailer now. Last one cost me over $300.00!

05 Ram 3500, SLT Bighorn, SB QC, Dynamic Stage 3 48RE, triple disc, billet input, S&B CAI, FASS Titanium, Smarty Jr., New stock Bosch injectors, Edge CTS, Hushpower/Magnaflow 4 inch, FTE Resonator, Bilstein 5100's, Redhead Steering, Truxedo, Linex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode